1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Apr '19 17:00
    If you are happy with your beliefs, and they are working for you good.

Is this the measure, the only meaningful way to look at life?

If the Theistic world view is all wrong then the truth is they (we)(I) have always been all wrong, instead of the truth of reality it’s an illusion.

If the Atheistic world view is all wrong, then they have had the illusion, not truth of reality.

Color my world with truth not acceptable opinions.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Apr '19 17:131 edit
    @kellyjay said

If the Theistic world view is all wrong then the truth is they (we)(I) have always been all wrong, instead of the truth of reality it’s an illusion.

If the Atheistic world view is all wrong, then they have had the illusion, not truth of reality.

I think I've spoken before about my nan who was a devout Christian. Although I didn't agree with her, I never challenged her faith, as even as a youngster I realized what a big part of her life it was. Religion made her happy. Why, as a loving grandson, would I ever want to challenge that. It was something that gave her strength and hope. It was a beautiful thing. It was working for her. (Right up until her passing).

From my point of view, her faith was wrong, and yet 'right' for her. I don't think it matters that it was an illusion.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '19 17:503 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think I've spoken before about my nan who was a devout Christian. Although I didn't agree with her, I never challenged her faith, as even as a youngster I realized what a big part of her life it was. Religion made her happy. Why, as a loving grandson, would I ever want to challenge that. It was something that gave her strength and hope. It was a beautiful thing. It ...[text shortened]... iew, her faith was wrong, and yet 'right' for her. I don't think it matters that it was an illusion.
    Those who attend religious meetings every week are both happier and live longer on average.

https://www.wthr.com/article/regular-church-goers-are-happier-non-believers-study-says

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/06/14/the-times-churchgoers-live-six-years-longer-on-average/

In fact, those of faith tend to live about 6 years longer.

Also, those of faith tend to give to the poor much more than their agnostic/atheist counterparts who sit on web sites all day bashing those of faith. From what I have gathered here, they tend to be pretty miserable people.

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Religious-Americans-Give-More/153973

Well what do ya know, faith in God is good for everyone!!

Who knew?
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Apr '19 18:04
    @whodey said
    Those who attend religious meetings every week are both happier and live longer on average.

https://www.wthr.com/article/regular-church-goers-are-happier-non-believers-study-says

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/06/14/the-times-churchgoers-live-six-years-longer-on-average/

In fact, those of faith tend to live about 6 years longer.

Also, those of faith tend t ...[text shortened]... ericans-Give-More/153973

Well what do ya know, faith in God is good for everyone!!

Who knew?
    Well, faith in the 'idea' of God is good for everyone. And like I say, I have no problem with that.

Whatever works for you.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 02:40
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think I've spoken before about my nan who was a devout Christian. Although I didn't agree with her, I never challenged her faith, as even as a youngster I realized what a big part of her life it was. Religion made her happy. Why, as a loving grandson, would I ever want to challenge that. It was something that gave her strength and hope. It was a beautiful thing. It ...[text shortened]... iew, her faith was wrong, and yet 'right' for her. I don't think it matters that it was an illusion.
    So living in an illusion is okay if it makes one happy? Doesn't these positions actually carry some serious realities, no matter what one of the two you happen to favor?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 03:59
    @kellyjay said
    So living in an illusion is okay if it makes one happy? Doesn't these positions actually carry some serious realities, no matter what one of the two you happen to favor?
    Can you suggest two or three "serious realities" stemming from not having the same religious beliefs as you?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 05:43
    @kellyjay said

What your post seems to say in a sort of basic roundabout way is the either there is a god or there isn’t.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 06:21
    @kellyjay said
    And yet, all you have to offer about the world in which both of us live ~ and more specifically, any supernatural dimension attendant thereto ~ are your opinions about what is the truth. It's your prerogative - and quite acceptable for you - to colour your world with those opinions and then declare it to be the "truth".
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 07:45
    @kellyjay said
    There is no God.

If believing in God helps someone cope with life's challenges and gives them hope and comfort then that can only be a good thing. Some people seek such comfort in a bottle of gin. Not such a good thing.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 10:15
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    There is no God.

If believing in God helps someone cope with life's challenges and gives them hope and comfort then that can only be a good thing. Some people seek such comfort in a bottle of gin. Not such a good thing.
    I thought you were of the opinion no God, no good/evil? So gin even where it leads is just another path that we don't like nothing more, unless you just said that about good, and you really think there is one? A preferred path and a disliked one doesn't make one good or bad, right or wrong, righteous or evil unless there is something more to this moral thing that anything goes, don't you think?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 10:16
    @fmf said
    And yet, all you have to offer about the world in which both of us live ~ and more specifically, any supernatural dimension attendant thereto ~ are your opinions about what is the truth. It's your prerogative - and quite acceptable for you - to colour your world with those opinions and then declare it to be the "truth".
    Thank you for your opinion.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 11:48
    @kellyjay said
    Thank you for your opinion.
    Opinions are all we have regarding issues like these. Can you suggest two or three "serious realities" that ~ in your opinion ~ you reckon stem from not having the same religious beliefs as you?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 11:49
    @kellyjay said
    there is something more to this moral thing that anything goes, don't you think?
    Who is arguing "anything goes" when it comes to "this moral thing"?
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 12:08
    @kellyjay said
    I thought you were of the opinion no God, no good/evil? So gin even where it leads is just another path that we don't like nothing more, unless you just said that about good, and you really think there is one? A preferred path and a disliked one doesn't make one good or bad, right or wrong, righteous or evil unless there is something more to this moral thing that anything goes, don't you think?
    Why would you think that?
  15. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 12:20
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think I've spoken before about my nan who was a devout Christian. Religion made her happy. Why, as a loving grandson, would I ever want to challenge that. It was something that gave her strength and hope.

From my point of view, her faith was wrong, and yet 'right' for her. I don't think it matters that it was an illusion.
    I totally agree with this pov, Ghost.

I am just reading some books by Chinua Achebe, the first of four is called "Things Fall Apart", about the first white men coming to Nigeria in the late 1800s.

Whilst the white missionaries to, say, Africa, did a lot of good (like building schools and hospitals) they did an incredible amount of bad by trying to "save" the heathen out of his/her culture and beliefs. Basically: "Here is my culture and my belief. If you don't take it, lock stock and barrell , you will burn in hell".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree