Do we need God to make sense of life?

Do we need God to make sense of life?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Maybe we should back up and define "purpose" -- because some prior or external intentionality seems to be implied here.
Purpose, as in our driving force. Purpose doesn't require a God figure, a divine plan.

For our species to continue to exist, our purpose is to survive long enough to procreate. Fortunately we have evolved sufficiently to go beyond this purpose, to appreciate value and meaning in life, to have an intellectual curiosity. (Even fashion ourselves some gods).

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
There's no need to call anyone brittle, you arrogant jackass.
Is “jackass” your knew go-to insult?
You seem to have used it several times in the last few hours.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Are you angry and resorting to pool whizzing now
Romans1009 jejune signature post

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Are you angry and resorting to pool whizzing now

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@avalanchethecat said
Why do you think that our life and existence needs to make sense?
I don't think our lives necessarily need to "make sense" to others ~ aside perhaps from our loved ones.

But many people do "make sense" of themselves in ideological and communal contexts, one of which could be shared beliefs about God.

I don't see why the sense that non-believers make of their lives needs to make sense to believers, who brandish the false dilemma ~ life either has meaning because of God or it has no meaning ~ which they do, so often, as if their religious beliefs have truncated their ability to empathize with people who don't believe what they do.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
The existence of God is 'a feeling,' a human attempt to explain the unexplainable, to make the world a less scary place, to deal with the realization of mortality, of finality.

Yes, my atheism is based on logic, on human reasoning. I have discounted the above, even though we don't currently have all the answers. I don't know the square root of 234543.43 but know e ...[text shortened]... t your answer of 5.

Myths belong in the past. They are of no value as we venture into the future.
<<The existence of God is 'a feeling,' a human attempt to explain the unexplainable, to make the world a less scary place, to deal with the realization of mortality, of finality.>>

This could only be said by an atheist, or a person who believes in a false god.

<<Yes, my atheism is based on logic, on human reasoning.>>

You make quite a few huge concessions in being an atheist and must have a great deal of faith to be one.

<<I have discounted the above, even though we don't currently have all the answers. I don't know the square root of 234543.43 but know enough to reject your answer of 5.>>

Surely you’re not claiming your belief in your atheism is as certain as knowing 5 is not the square root of the number you posted?

<<Myths belong in the past. They are of no value as we venture into the future.>>

This statement assumes (obviously) the existence of God is a myth which I (obviously) reject.

Are you aware atheists who were experts in evaluating evidence decided to investigate evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, concluded the Resurrection happened and became Christians?

Did you ever investigate the evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Jan 22

@divegeester said
How long have you been waiting to employ the word “jejune?” Do you think it makes you look like an intellectual?

Moves
09 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Is “jackass” your new go-to insult?
No, it has been my go-to insult for years.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
No, it has been my go-to insult for years.
I see, well it served you well for a few hours of unimaginative trolling last night.

Moves
09 Jan 22

@divegeester said
I see, well it served you well for a few hours of unimaginative trolling last night.
You're just unappreciative.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
09 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
<<The existence of God is 'a feeling,' a human attempt to explain the unexplainable, to make the world a less scary place, to deal with the realization of mortality, of finality.>>

This could only be said by an atheist, or a person who believes in a false god.

<<Yes, my atheism is based on logic, on human reasoning.>>

You make quite a few huge concessions in being an ...[text shortened]... nd became Christians?

Did you ever investigate the evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ?
Faith is your bag, not mine.

My understanding is knowledge and evidence-based, and I'm open to modifying this understanding when new information comes along. In contrast, you are stuck in the dim past and genuinely blind to the modern age of science.

There is zero evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Zero. There is barely any evidence for his existence at all.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Faith is your bag, not mine.

My understanding is knowledge and evidence-based, and I'm open to modifying this understanding when new information comes along. In contrast, you are stuck in the dim past and genuinely blind to the modern age of science.

There is zero evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Zero. There is barely any evidence for his existence at all.
<<Faith is your bag, not mine.>>

No, it’s your bag too.

You have faith that life came from non-life, that consciousness came from mindlessness and that order came from chaos.

<<My understanding is knowledge and evidence-based,>>

See above.

<<and I'm open to modifying this understanding when new information comes along.>>

As long as that new information doesn’t involve God, right?

<<In contrast, you are stuck in the dim past and genuinely blind to the modern age of science.>>

God is alive and well and working today. And as I’ve said countless times, the theory of evolution is not science. It doesn’t follow the Scientific Method and there’s scant evidence supporting macroevolution (a few questionable transitional fossils when Darwin said the number should be “truly enormous.&rdquo😉

<<There is zero evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Zero.>>

You’re either ignorant or lying. Three experts in evaluating evidence - two of whom were atheists - investigated the evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, concluded the Resurrection happened and became Christians. Want me to post their identities and stories for the fifth or sixth time?

Did you investigate the evidence? I notice you didn’t answer that question.

<<There is barely any evidence for his existence at all.>>

That statement is absurd. Even secular Biblical scholars believe Jesus Christ existed and was crucified.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Never asked for personal information - you’re being dishonest in implying I did.
You get to define what is personal information from your life. It is your prerogative. I am not entitled to know anything personal that you choose not to share or discuss. The same applies to me.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
You get to define what is personal information from your life. It is your prerogative. I am not entitled to know anything personal that you choose not to share or discuss. The same applies to me.
That you would say asking only *if you made choices* in how much you cultivated and grew in your relationship with God constitutes “personal information” actually answers the question for me.

Not directly. But it answers it.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
That you would say asking only *if you made choices* in how much you cultivated and grew in your relationship with God constitutes “personal information” actually answers the question for me.
Whether I did "cultivate" it or whether I did not "cultivate" it ~ or whether I did "grow" it or whether I didn't "grow" it ~ is none of your business.