Did Jesus say...?

Did Jesus say...?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
264d

In the teachings attributed to Jesus, did he ever instruct people to leave the definition of how his teachings ought to be understood to self-appointed and self-governing ecclesiastical "intellectuals"? If so, where?

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
264d
2 edits

@fmf said
In the teachings attributed to Jesus, did he ever instruct people to leave the definition of how his teachings ought to be understood to self-appointed and self-governing ecclesiastical "intellectuals"? If so, where?
I very much doubt Jesus was aiming his message specifically at self-appointed and self-governing ecclesiastical intellectuals. The lessons and parables Jesus spoke looked to be aimed at everyone regardless of status, wealth, or intellectual level.

Regarding your statement: "How his teachings ought to be understood" This is simply an unnecessary complication. The teachings of Jesus are not difficult to understand.

F

Moves
264d

@mchill said
Regarding your statement: "How his teachings ought to be understood" This is simply an unnecessary complication. The teachings of Jesus are not difficult to understand.
My point exactly. Well done.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
264d

@fmf said
My point exactly. Well done.
Thank You

F

Moves
264d

@mchill said
I very much doubt Jesus was aiming his message specifically at self-appointed and self-governing ecclesiastical intellectuals. The lessons and parables Jesus spoke looked to be aimed at everyone regardless of status, wealth, or intellectual level.
This is interesting.

Would you therefore agree that the intellectualization of Jesus's teachings, in so far as it makes his teachings too complicated for ordinary people to understand or to answer questions about, are surplus to requirements [or perhaps even extra-Biblical] in so far as they relate to following Jesus and being a Christian?

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
264d
1 edit

@fmf said
This is interesting.

Would you therefore agree that the intellectualization of Jesus's teachings, in so far as it makes his teachings too complicated for ordinary people to understand or to answer questions about, are surplus to requirements [or perhaps even extra-Biblical] in so far as they relate to following Jesus and being a Christian?
I wouldn't know how to accurately respond to your post.

I do know that the "intellectualization of Jesus's teachings" seems a like rather silly exercise, since that is not what they were designed for.

S. Korea

Moves
264d

@fmf said
What's great about this is that a Catholic might not disagree:

He appointed Peter - on this rock I build my Church...

So the Catholic hierarchy is not self-appointed.

It is also not self-governing, according to Catholics, I imagine, as they are very seriously below Christ...

And I would further state, as an Orthodox Christian, that the understanding of building the church on St. Peter does lend validity to his position as the first Bishop of Rome ... But, we are open to the idea that it cannot be self-appointed and self-governing, and that at some point there is an overstepping of boundaries and a corruption of the office... Not destroying the seat, but distorting its role...

And also distorting the idea that the Bishop's role... For instance, we conceptualize the Ecumenical Patriarch as the first among equals. This can be lived out by understanding the importance of the councils in determining church doctrine, and viewing the Patriarch as incapable of proclaiming new doctrines and such, which is something that Popes have done when overstepping the boundaries inw hat they should be doing...

Very fun and complicated topic.

F

Moves
264d

@philokalia said
What's great about this is that a Catholic might not disagree:

He appointed Peter - on this rock I build my Church...

So the Catholic hierarchy is not self-appointed.

It is also not self-governing, according to Catholics, I imagine, as they are very seriously below Christ...

And I would further state, as an Orthodox Christian, that the understanding ...[text shortened]... when overstepping the boundaries inw hat they should be doing...

Very fun and complicated topic.
In the teachings attributed to Jesus, did he ever instruct people to leave the definition of how his teachings ought to be understood to theologians? If so, where?

S. Korea

Moves
263d
1 edit

@fmf said
In the teachings attributed to Jesus, did he ever instruct people to leave the definition of how his teachings ought to be understood to theologians? If so, where?
That's a great question.

I asked Bing for an answer:

I’m not sure if Jesus ever instructed people to leave the definition of how his teachings ought to be understood to theologians. However, Christian theology is the study of Christian belief and practice, and it concentrates primarily upon the texts of the Old Testament and of the New Testament, as well as on Christian tradition 1. Theologians use biblical exegesis, rational analysis, and argument to better understand Christian tenets 1.

Do you think that's a good response?

F

Moves
263d

@philokalia said
That's a great question.

I asked Bing for an answer:
And the above is as much of your post as I read.

F

Moves
263d

@fmf said
This awaits you, Philokalia, if you are interested.

S. Korea

Moves
263d

@fmf said
This awaits you, Philokalia, if you are interested.
I am very satisfied with what I have already written, thank you!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
263d

@philokalia said
I am very satisfied with what I have already written, thank you!
I was beginning to wonder if you've learned anything from the other thread about how this person interacts with others, especially Christians.

F

Moves
263d

@suzianne said
I was beginning to wonder if you've learned anything from the other thread about how this person interacts with others, especially Christians.
In the teachings attributed to Jesus, did he ever instruct people to leave the definition of how his teachings ought to be understood to theologians?

F

Moves
263d

@suzianne said
Suzianne, I interact with the people that I disagree with far better than you interact with the people that you disagree with. And I do not point this out to upset you. You read people very badly, most of all yourself.