1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    07 Dec '20 02:22
    @montymoose said
    At age 68 and growing up in the deep South US, it is a different world today. In the 1950's and 1960's it was about individual responsibility and salvation. Your life and your soul were the important factors and not anything beyond that. No politics and no social issues. "Are you a Christian?" was the question. The answer was yes or no. (Yeah Marc Cohn "Walking in Memphis" ...[text shortened]... on Sand Mountain". An excellent book that covers the people who believe.

Best, Steve (MontyMoose)
    Right and wrong was clearly defined.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '20 03:43
    @secondson said
    I don't give a damn.
    If you "don't give a damn" whether it is wrong for Christians to criticize the character of the president of the United States, then why did you say this:

Why is it that some professing Christians seem to have the need to point their finger at the obvious abuse and reproach brought against Christ by other professing Christians and use it to disparage the character of the president of the United States?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '20 03:52
    @secondson said
    Why is it that some professing Christians seem to have the need to point their finger at the obvious abuse and reproach brought against Christ by other professing Christians...?
    But surely you, here, are a professing Christian who is feeling the need to point his finger at other professing Christians?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Dec '20 10:201 edit
    @secondson said
    "You have never once told anyone what Paul or Christ said that they must do n order to inherit the Kingdom of God."

But you have never once told anyone what Jesus said qualifies one to "inherit the Kingdom of God".

"...Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Nobody, and that includes Rajk, has the power to make themselves to be "born ...[text shortened]... ; "NOT OF WORKS," "lest any man should boast".

So just keep boasting if it makes you feel better.
    You focus on what God and Christ has to do, and not on what Jesus said YOU MUST DO. Jesus had a private meeting with one man, Nicodemus when those words were spoken. All the times when Jesus spoke to many thousands and thousands, when he told them what to DO to inherit the Kingdom of God, you have ignored those teachings and commandments. You promote a FAILED DOCTRINE that leads the gullible to damnation. Just like a bad employee focusing on what the boss has to do and ignoring his own job specification. You will be fired.
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Dec '20 12:51
    @secondson said
    Why is it that some professing Christians seem to have the need to point their finger at the obvious abuse and reproach brought against Christ by other professing Christians and use it to disparage the character of the president of the United States?

Who cares what those blowholes are saying and doing in the name of Christ? I was onto Copeland and his ilk decades ago. I ...[text shortened]... to steal the election.

I wonder how many times some on the left voted for Biden?

We shall see.
    Off your meds I see .
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    07 Dec '20 17:07
    @montymoose said
    At age 68 and growing up in the deep South US, it is a different world today. In the 1950's and 1960's it was about individual responsibility and salvation. Your life and your soul were the important factors and not anything beyond that. No politics and no social issues. "Are you a Christian?" was the question. The answer was yes or no. (Yeah Marc Cohn "Walking in Memphis" ...[text shortened]... on Sand Mountain". An excellent book that covers the people who believe.

Best, Steve (MontyMoose)
    Surely which part of the bus you could sit in and which water fountain you could use were also important questions.
    “No politics and no social issues”
    I’d hazard a guess and say your a white Christian.
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    07 Dec '20 17:33
    @kevcvs57

I was not clear. I was simply reporting what I saw at the local church level (I grew up Southern Baptist). "Are you a Christian?" was the one question that defined you when answered yes or no. Of course there were major social issues in the 1950/60's, but the church I went to never discussed them.

Yes, I am White, but I am also a life-long atheist.
  8. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Dec '20 01:54
    @fmf said
    Do you think it is wrong for Christians to criticize the character of the president of the United States?
    No - It's not wrong. Our President is not a divine being, he is the President with a job to do.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '20 05:55
    @mchill said
    No - It's not wrong. Our President is not a divine being, he is the President with a job to do.
    I am asking SecondSon, not you. You see, he runs away from things ... like Thread 187394. Meanwhile, you seem to have run away from Thread 187510.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '20 08:30
    @rajk999 said
    You focus on what God and Christ has to do, and not on what Jesus said YOU MUST DO. Jesus had a private meeting with one man, Nicodemus when those words were spoken. All the times when Jesus spoke to many thousands and thousands, when he told them what to DO to inherit the Kingdom of God, you have ignored those teachings and commandments. You promote a FAILED DOCTRINE that le ...[text shortened]... loyee focusing on what the boss has to do and ignoring his own job specification. You will be fired.
    Any excuse to dodge scriptures you don’t like isn’t it. πŸ™‚
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    08 Dec '20 09:531 edit
    @montymoose said
    @kevcvs57

I was not clear. I was simply reporting what I saw at the local church level (I grew up Southern Baptist). "Are you a Christian?" was the one question that defined you when answered yes or no. Of course there were major social issues in the 1950/60's, but the church I went to never discussed them.

Yes, I am White, but I am also a life-long atheist.
    I grew up in a C of E ( Anglican ) household but became agnostic as soon as independent thought kicked in.
    I suppose it depends on which Christian church you attended but many churches were heavily involved in the civil rights movement throughout the 50s and 60s.
    Edit
    I’m white too but I tan quite easily.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Dec '20 10:10
    @kevcvs57 said
    I grew up in a C of E ( Anglican ) household but became agnostic as soon as independent thought kicked in.
    I suppose it depends on which Christian church you attended but many churches were heavily involved in the civil rights movement throughout the 50s and 60s.
    Edit
    I’m white too but I tan quite easily.
    Many churches?

No, I'm sure it's mainly the Anglicans, who in America are known as the Episcopalians. Of course, particular individual churches of any denomination also may be more open to those who have been oppressed, but the Episcopal church in America has policies in place to be able to reach out to these groups instead of shutting them out.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Dec '20 10:32
    @divegeester said
    Any excuse to dodge scriptures you don’t like isn’t it. πŸ™‚
    I dont dodge, I focus on the teachings of Christ. Reading and understanding of scriptures is not a virtue as promoted by the church. DOING what Jesus said to DO, is a virtue and is the way to the Kingdom of God.

Paul and the Apostles preached the same doctrine as Jesus, except that the Apostles gave the Gentiles some more information on how and why they were saved by the blood of Christ. Christians read up to Ephesians 2, saved by grace through faith and not by works, and they proclaim .. IM SAVED ... . They close the bible and ignore the rest of Ephesians which explains how to get eternal life.

Its up to the individual. You want saved. I want eternal life.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    08 Dec '20 14:381 edit
    @suzianne said
    Many churches?

No, I'm sure it's mainly the Anglicans, who in America are known as the Episcopalians. Of course, particular individual churches of any denomination also may be more open to those who have been oppressed, but the Episcopal church in America has policies in place to be able to reach out to these groups instead of shutting them out.
    I don’t know nearly enough about the various Christian denominations to debate it.
    But I was thinking of the broadly Protestant black churches that produced the backbone and head of the non violent civil rights movement encapsulated in people like MLK.
    However in South America it was Roman Catholic clergy that formulated and practiced ‘Liberation Theology’ who often clashed with US foreign policy in the region.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Dec '20 07:431 edit
    @suzianne said
    [youtube The Evangelical Election Meltdown]tiXeK7mz1yk[/youtube]
    Interesting video blog; Shades of Elmer Gantry. Religion in the Land of the Free has a weird, kooky side to it.

Donald Trump does radiate personal charisma; we've seen plenty of videos of him whipping a crowd into a frenzy. This is no doubt attractive to the charismatics on the religious fringe, who indulge themselves in seeing this as the power of God manifesting itself in him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree