1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 10:041 edit
    @divegeester said
    John the Baptist was beheaded, not crucified. He was executed at the request of Herod’s niece who had danced provocatively for him and his head was brought to her and her mother, now Herod’s wife.
    Other than that, did you get anything else from his post that you'd care to comment on??
  2. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 10:22
    @divegeester said
    John the Baptist was beheaded, not crucified. He was executed at the request of Herod’s niece who had danced provocatively for him and his head was brought to her and her mother, now Herod’s wife.
    I stand corrected. JtB would appear to have been beheaded.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 10:33
    @neilarini said
    Are you standing sir, are you?
  4. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 10:35
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Are you standing sir, are you?
    I stand corrected (again!). I am sitting.

(sighs)
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 10:39
    @neilarini said
    I stand corrected (again!). I am sitting.

(sighs)
    At least when you sit corrected you get to utilize a pillow.
  6. Standard memberZach Thomas
    HalfwattToSparky
    Eastern WA
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 22:11
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Successful religions assimilate lesser ones. I don't think it's a case of 'ripping them off.'

When I was kid, a cousin use to run a star trek 'club' on a Saturday. It was quite popular, but personally I much preferred star wars. Not entirely intentionally, myself and another cousin began to introduce star wars figures and eventually the club became almost exclusive ...[text shortened]... out eradicating its popularity.

Christianity is like the Borg. Assimilation is a sound strategy.
    Change yourself to appear more like others to get them to like you, then call yourself the original...still sounds like ripping off others to me.

Simplified a bit, christianity couldn't start their own star wars club, so they brought their star Wars toys dressed up with star trek clothes and the awesome acting skills of William Shatner to show they have stuff too. I hope you paused about every third word in reading this.

Assimilation doesn't usually happen by starting saying 'your way is wrong and you have to do things my way or you're going to hell'
  7. Standard memberZach Thomas
    HalfwattToSparky
    Eastern WA
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 22:16
    @divegeester said
    I’m not sure where “the big kicker” is in what you’ve written?
    Without reading more into your background, I'm going to step out on a limb and say you are a follower of christianity and have come to a similar thought as me regarding that particular religion
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 08:50
    @zach-thomas said

Simplified a bit, christianity couldn't start their own star wars club, so they brought their star Wars toys dressed up with star trek clothes and the awesome acting skills of William Shatner to show they have stuff too. I hope you paused about every third word in reading this.

Assimilation doesn't usually happen by starting saying 'your way is wrong and you have to do things my way or you're going to hell'
    Why start my own Star Wars club and compete with other Sci-Fi clubs when I can take over an existing one and eliminate the opposition?

Christianity absorbing paganism and its traditions wasn't a weakness, it was a strength. (And I say that as an atheist).
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 13:24
    @suzianne said
    Other than that, did you get anything else from his post that you'd care to comment on??
    Why ask me and not Hakima, who also pointed out the error?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '20 13:27
    @neilarini said
    I was surprised that you didn’t know this considering it is such a well known NT account and that you seemed to have an interest in religions.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 06:42
    @divegeester said
    Why ask me and not Hakima, who also pointed out the error?
    So that's a no.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 11:28
    @zach-thomas said
    Without reading more into your background, I'm going to step out on a limb and say you are a follower of christianity and have come to a similar thought as me regarding that particular religion
    I’m not sure what that would be, but I still don’t see what the “big kicker” was in your post. Nor the controversy you alluded to either for that matter.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 11:30
    @suzianne said
    So that's a no.
    Oh sorry, yes it was a “no”.

I was more interested in why you decided to latch onto my reply to him rather that the identical response by Hakima?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 18:491 edit
    @divegeester said
    Oh sorry, yes it was a “no”.

I was more interested in why you decided to latch onto my reply to him rather that the identical response by Hakima?
    I'm not.

Digress away.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '20 18:57
    @suzianne said
    I'm not.

Digress away.
    🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree