Clarity

Clarity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Aug 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @suzianne
Which one of those is it in the case of the Declaration of Independence? As I SAID, it is also a style choice to draw attention to words. The two reasons you give to the practice are far from all of the reasons, yet you choose to misrepresent it in this way.

You two assign motives to people ALL the time. It's practically all you do here.
Posts on this message board are not 18th-century documents, Suzianne. Nor are they words painted onto signage over shops or the sides of trucks, nor or they the titles of books etc. etc.

If people like sonship and SecondSon capitalize the everyday, abstract, common, countable noun 'truth' "as a style choice to draw attention to [their own] words" in an effort to add some supposed special meaning that the small-t-word truth does not convey, then they are either being completely pretentious or they are being facetious.

I think it's just a silly pompous gesture they make seeking to sort of sanctify and propagandize their personal opinions. It's a kind of self-aggrandizing hyperbole rendered by way of incorrect capitalization. It's either that or they are taking the mickey out of their own pretentiousness. One or the other. The word "truth" is not a proper noun.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Aug 18

Originally posted by @secondson
All Truth is "given".

There is no other kind.
Truth (rarely definitive) is 'sought,' 'discovered' or 'shared'.

All by man.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Aug 18

All Truth is "given".

There is no other kind.
Define “given” and why does it need authoritive evidence?

Also if all truth is “given” then isn’t “given” superlative?

Why do you capitalise the T?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Aug 18

I think your "interesting observation" says more about you than sonship.

Your "observations" aren't. They're merely another way to denigrate a poster who disagrees with you by assuming meaning for something other than his words. You assign a motivation to him with no evidence.
No, it’s an interesting and fair observation; both sonship and SecondSon do it.

F

Moves
16 Aug 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
No, it’s an interesting and fair observation; both sonship and SecondSon do it.
Grampy Bobby used to do it to a ridiculous degree, I remember.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Aug 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Grampy Bobby used to do it to a ridiculous degree, I remember.
It isn’t just me being picky then, it’s an observable affectation right?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Aug 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
It isn’t just me being picky then, it’s an observable affectation right?
Ain't that the Truth.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Aug 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Ain't that the Truth.
Preach it Brother

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
16 Aug 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Posts on this message board are not 18th-century documents, Suzianne. Nor are they words painted onto signage over shops or the sides of trucks, nor or they the titles of books etc. etc.

If people like sonship and SecondSon capitalize the everyday, abstract, common, countable noun 'truth' "as a style choice to draw attention to [their own] words" in an effo ...[text shortened]... ickey out of their own pretentiousness. One or the other. The word "truth" is not a proper noun.
You make pretentious assumptions.

I capitalized the word truth because I'm referring to The Truth in contrast to ordinary everyday truth which is basic truth about what people hold in common.

For example: we all agree it's true that man is a human being. It's common truth. But when the question is asked about man's origin the answer is in the realm of The Truth because most disagree.

And since most disagree, then the answer is Truth because everything else is just an opinion or a misguided belief.

So, the question is, what is The Truth about man's origin?

Unfortunately man can't answer that question from his own mind, and that's what makes it The Truth.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
16 Aug 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Truth (rarely definitive) is 'sought,' 'discovered' or 'shared'.

All by man.
The Truth is revealed and is either believed or disbelieved.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Aug 18
1 edit

Is that even with its “authorititive evidence”?

About which, by the way, you still haven’t answered my question.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Aug 18
1 edit

Another forum phony bites the dust.
talk about getting taken out of context.

What about the rest of my post?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Aug 18

I think your "interesting observation" says more about you than sonship.

Your "observations" aren't. They're merely another way to denigrate a poster who disagrees with you by assuming meaning for something other than his words. You assign a motivation to him with no evidence.
sounds like you

F

Moves
17 Aug 18

I capitalized the word truth because I'm referring to The Truth in contrast to ordinary everyday truth which is basic truth about what people hold in common.
This is a pretentious thing to do. Just use written English properly.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Aug 18
1 edit

The problem I have sir is the capitalization of 'truth' as you perceive it. (So it's True whether or not I personally agree). It is akin to me capitalizing 'Evolution' to try and bolster up its unquestionable certainty.

Theists have no claim on 'Truth' for the simple reason they could very well be mistaken about God and creation. A definitive truth has no room for such a possibility.

Edit: And please note I have capitalized 'God' here out of politeness, but the same thing applies when 'other deities' are relegated to 'gods.'