A False Sense of Security

A False Sense of Security

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
05 Jul 20
1 edit

@petewxyz said
I think you also probably believe your observations are valid. I would imagine with great certainty.
Well, it was you ~ not me ~ who said earlier on this thread: "I try and approach most things from a position of not understanding and not knowing. I think you learn more from others that way and I don't think this is a disingenuous stance...". Were you being disingenuous after all, then?

Sure. I know and understand stuff about what faith and belief are, what atheism is, what conversion and loss of faith are, and I understand the word "ethics". So, yes, I try to share what I think are valid observations. Why wouldn't I?

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
Looks like Kegge and me also don't always pick the best language whilst making valid observations, this could work.
And Dive is an avid Chelsea fan, and sore loser. So if you’re sporting Liverpool colors you automatically have a target on your back.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
I do sometimes find these social media conversations embarrassing.
We've all be there old chap. In this forum in particular, quickly own an erroneous statement, never double-down.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
Not only a fair point but the whole point I was making. The other rather clumsy sentence was to illustrate the point by saying that apparent deathbed conversion may well simply be symptomatic of the person truly still being an atheist.

I shall have to chose my words more carefully but perhaps feeling like I am back at work isn't something I seek and I have misunderstood ...[text shortened]... ersation in the pub which is thankfully returning. Asking people their favourite colour over a beer.
I think you just need show some intellectually integrity and acknowledge that your assertion saying that a true atheist was one who became a theist on their deathbed was completely wrong, instead of hemming hawing with all this “poorly chosen words” rhetoric.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
I do sometimes find these social media conversations embarrassing.
Well that isn’t surprising if your performance in this thread is an example of your MO.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
Looks like Kegge and me also don't always pick the best language whilst making valid observations, this could work.
I’m not clear what is “valid” in your claim that the only true atheists are those who become theists on their deathbeds.

It’s nothing to do with “language” which is you just running away from being wrong.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
We've all be there old chap. In this forum in particular, quickly own an erroneous statement, never double-down.
Well said.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Jul 20

@divegeester said
Well said.
I think the Duchess is the best exemplar of such a behaviour, digging a hole deeper for herself rather than holding her hands up to an error of judgment or false statement.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Jul 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I think the Duchess is the best exemplar of such a behaviour, digging a hole deeper for herself rather than holding her hands up to an error of judgment or false statement.
To clarify the above, I wasn't comparing Pete to the Duchess. That would be unfair on anybody.

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

I am usually able to make myself understood, but of course that does depend on the willingness of the listener to understand. I will take the distribution of green and red thumbs to indicate that this has been more about the willingness of the listener and make no further attempt to explain my comments.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
I am usually able to make myself understood, but of course that does depend on the willingness of the listener to understand. I will take the distribution of green and red thumbs to indicate that this has been more about the willingness of the listener and make no further attempt to explain my comments.
You made yourself very clear, people listened and understood and replied. There is only one comment you need to address and it’s this one from page 1 which you have been running away from for several pages...

”The sign of true atheism should be accepting the comfort of religious conversion on the deathbed.”

Of course you can find solace in the “distribution of thumbs” if that eases the burden of intellectual honesty being asked of you.

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

@divegeester said
You made yourself very clear, people listened and understood and replied. There is only one comment you need to address and it’s this one from page 1 which you have been running away from for several pages...

”The sign of true atheism should be accepting the comfort of religious conversion on the deathbed.”

Of course you can find solace in the “distribution of thumbs” if that eases the burden of intellectual honesty being asked of you.
See my comment at 11.23

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
I think that admittedly badly worded sentence is being taken out of context of the post it was in. As opposed to anybody wishing to find the meaning of the post they seem to want me to defend a position that I wasn't trying to talk about. It's a shame because I think there is a potentially interesting conversation about the implications of believing 100% that the end of life ...[text shortened]... st that was ill worded and not the point of the post or I might find myself in very strange company.
Welcome to the Spirituality forum.

That's just how it is here.

Believe me, you don't have to agree with it to post here, and you also don't have to endlessly answer every minute stick in the mud who tries to gaslight the forum with their idea of you as a 'know-nothing'.

You'll learn who wishes actual conversation and who wishes to just piss on everything you say.

Remember, this is a forum of ideas, despite that some seem to think that the one with the most words wins.

F

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
This poat by you is an example of the "doubling down" Ghost of a Duke mentioned.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@suzianne said
Believe me, you don't have to agree with it to post here, and you also don't have to endlessly answer every minute stick in the mud who tries to gaslight the forum with their idea of you as a 'know-nothing'.
Why do you keep using the term “gaslight” incorrectly?