1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 01:19
    One can debate the proposition "The naked truth is undesirable" and perhaps agree that it is sometimes true but not generally true. You might disagree, but that's OK.

So, what about "a false sense of security". Is it always a bad thing? Can it have benefits?

Thoughts on this - of a spiritual, philosophical, moral, ideological, or nuts & bolts life-navigation nature [of course] - are invited.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 07:30
    As an atheist, I obviously believe that Christians, for example, have a false sense of security, in that their faith will deliver them to eternal salvation. I do though recognize the benefits of such a false sense, as it clearly reduces the fear of death and helps certain people cope with the injustices of this world.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 15:19
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    As an atheist, I obviously believe that Christians, for example, have a false sense of security, in that their faith will deliver them to eternal salvation. I do though recognize the benefits of such a false sense, as it clearly reduces the fear of death and helps certain people cope with the injustices of this world.
    The paradox is that on their deathbed an atheist should logically allow themselves any delusion that offers comfort since if they believe that is truly the end what would be the point of depriving yourself of that comfort or maintaining your sanity? The sign of true atheism should be accepting the comfort of religious conversion on the deathbed.

This way of thinking calls into question the use of the word false, if it is a true comfort. Can something that truly meets the needs of one part of the mind and truly does not offend the logic of another be labelled false?
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 15:53
    @petewxyz said
    The paradox is that on their deathbed an atheist should logically allow themselves any delusion that offers comfort since if they believe that is truly the end what would be the point of depriving yourself of that comfort or maintaining your sanity? The sign of true atheism should be accepting the comfort of religious conversion on the deathbed.

This way of thinking call ...[text shortened]... the needs of one part of the mind and truly does not offend the logic of another be labelled false?
    I am so certain of the non-existence of God that pretending otherwise on my deathbed would bring no comfort.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 16:13
    @petewxyz said

This way of thinking call ...[text shortened]... the needs of one part of the mind and truly does not offend the logic of another be labelled false?
    Any atheist who would actually do that was Never Truly an Atheist in the first place! 😆
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 16:17
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I am so certain of the non-existence of God that pretending otherwise on my deathbed would bring no comfort.
    If our core beliefs could change everyday we would effectively have no existence at all since we could just become a different self everytime a context required adaptation. If we had no capacity to evolve or develop our beliefs we could not survive. I believe the truth must be somewhere between the two, but how much control do we have over the process?

If I was suddenly told I had the life expectancy of a 90 year old I would struggle to live with it, yet 90 year olds appear to often live comfortably with that truth. I can only assume that changes must be going to happen within me if I live to 90. How much control I will have over those changes should possibly be linked to how much control and choice do I have regarding my personality? Can I assume that I know how my beliefs and truths will develop and progress? How surprised would 20 year old me have been if introduced to current me? I certainly cannot assume I will be current me on my deathbed.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 16:17
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Hopefully you still feel the same when you’re actually on your deathbed.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 17:35
    @dj2becker said
    What's with the avatar?
  9. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 17:56
    We all believe in something. Choice & belief. Constantine (Roman Emperor) gave away his Pagan belief & never wore purple again. If it's your time, it's your time, beyond?
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 18:44
    @hells-caretaker said
    We all believe in something. Choice & belief. Constantine (Roman Emperor) gave away his Pagan belief & never wore purple again. If it's your time, it's your time, beyond?
    Nobody should ever wear purple.
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 19:15
    @dj2becker said
    you want for ghost's viewpoint to remain unchanged?
    even as you are certain that will cause him eternal torture?

i ain't inviting you over this weekend
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 20:00
    @rookie54 said

Don't worry old chap, I chose to ignore the veiled abhorrence.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 20:571 edit
    @rookie54 said

Sarcasm must have gone over your head, apologies for that.

I don’t believe Ghost will suffer eternal torture.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 21:39
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    What's with the avatar?
    Attention seeking.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 23:34
    @petewxyz said
    This way of thinking calls into question the use of the word false, if it is a true comfort. Can something that truly meets the needs of one part of the mind and truly does not offend the logic of another be labelled false?
    Perhaps you are misunderstanding what the word "false" is referring to in the expression "a false sense of security"?

The sense of security is real, but the certainty that X (a bad thing) isn't going to happen ~ or that Y (a good thing) is going to happen ~ is unfounded or mistaken.

If we are talking about so-called "revealed" religions, the use of the word "false" in the OP relects the perspective that the various promises of an afterlife of some kind by different people's god figures are not real. The solace that such beliefs afford those that hold them is, nevertheless, real.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree