A False Sense of Security

A False Sense of Security

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SRB

Moves
04 Jul 20

@fmf said
Christians, Muslims and Jews are groups of people based on their religions. This does not negate the fact that they are individuals too. In the post of mine you are replying to, I am talking about religions and their followers. If you like to avoid thinking about people in terms of the groupings they wish to put themselves in, I am not sure why you are replying to my post about religious groupings and their doctrines.
Probably because I thought it would lead to an interesting conversation on a social site. Nice to meet you a bit more!

F

Moves
04 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
To what extent are we experiencing our inevitable decisions and to what extent do we decide our decisions. How easily can we run against personality to the point of changing it through sustaining novel preferred positions?
What's a "novel preferred position" in the context of what we are talking about?

SRB

Moves
04 Jul 20

@fmf said
What's a "novel preferred position" in the context of what we are talking about?
Pretty much any preferred self you are trying to steer your real self towards, be that by evolving your religious or spiritual philosophy or any other aspect of life. Off to meet my daughter for lunch, nice to talk.

F

Moves
04 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
Pretty much any preferred self you are trying to steer your real self towards, be that by evolving your religious or spiritual philosophy or any other aspect of life.
And why does this mean that a "true" atheist is - for you - one who ends up as a theist for a relatively short period of time at the end of his or her life?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
I'm just saying that if you truly believe those are your final seconds you should allow whatever beliefs enter your head that give you comfort.
That's not how belief works.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jul 20

@dj2becker said
With all the experience you have as an attention seeker.
No, with my experience of recognising gay looking avatars used by trolls.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jul 20

I need to get on topic, apologies FMF.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
Perhaps like many things in life the beauty is in the ambiguity.
I nice platitude, but just that. You were doing quite well Pete 🙂

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jul 20

@fmf said
Why on Earth would I want to treat religious people with medicine?
Psst. I’ll have some if you’ve got some...?

Moves
05 Jul 20

@divegeester said
No, with my experience of recognising gay looking avatars used by trolls.
Oh the irony.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jul 20
1 edit

@petewxyz said
Yes, but perhaps as our dialogue has developed I have started to wonder whether 'experiences' would serve my purpose better than 'decides'. Of course fatalism and what we decide unconsciously and to what extent we are passengers with an illusion of personal agency is a whole other complex discussion. To what extent are we experiencing our inevitable decisions and to what ext ...[text shortened]... we run against personality to the point of changing it through sustaining novel preferred positions?
To be blunt (I’m always blunt), I think you would find improved progress in this discussion if you just backed away from (I.e.. acknowledged it was wrong) your earlier assertion that a “true atheist” is one who finds a belief in a God on their deathbed. I say this only because the statement is blatantly wrong.

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

@divegeester said
I nice platitude, but just that. You were doing quite well Pete 🙂
A nice damning by faint praise.

I was having a conversation with FMF and you go jumping in like it's a public site or something...

(You never know, if you keep fighting the new boy in the playground you may even end up friends 😮)

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jul 20

A “false sense of security” is an interesting concept within this context of theism and atheism.

I believe in God and it certainly does give me a sense of security, and one which I am unbothered by an atheists perspective of it being false. I look at the atheist and I see at least some of them as also having, an albeit different, false sense of security in their assurance and confidence that no God or Gods exist.

For example: Many atheists are ex-theists and of these many were brought up to believe in hell and eternal torture etc. To therefore find that they do not believe in God at all (as opposed to just not accepting the God of hellfire) can offer a sense of security from those early indoctrinations.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
You never know, if you keep fighting the new boy in the playground you may even end up friends 😮
Relax, you’re not special to me 🙂

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

@divegeester said
To be blunt (I’m always blunt), I think you would find improved progress in this discussion if you just backed away from (I.e.. acknowledged it was wrong) your earlier assertion that a “true atheist” is one who finds a belief in a God on their deathbed. I say this only because the statement is blatantly wrong.
I think that admittedly badly worded sentence is being taken out of context of the post it was in. As opposed to anybody wishing to find the meaning of the post they seem to want me to defend a position that I wasn't trying to talk about. It's a shame because I think there is a potentially interesting conversation about the implications of believing 100% that the end of life is just that.

I certainly don't want to overly reflect on a conversation in this forum where everybody focussed on the one small sentence in the post that was ill worded and not the point of the post or I might find myself in very strange company.