1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 11:51
    @liljo said
    Yes, very likely.

https://news.yahoo.com/nasa-mission-spots-chinese-rocket-130006425.html
    I just watched the Today Show on NBC this morning. The title to their news clip was called "China and US in new space race". My government wants to put a satellite in orbit around the moon to see what China is doing on the other side of the tidally locked moon.

It is obvious to me that my government suspects the same thing I did, that it was China. I am guessing it was an empty fuel tank that crashed on the moon. They are disposable when empty. It is possible it was a failed mission, but I would bet it was just disposable junk in a weak orbit.

Now my government is wondering how many missions to the moon China has been doing secretly. They even accused China of trying to take over the moon. LOL!
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 01:02
    A spacecraft to orbit the moon is on the way. All to know what China might be doing on the far side of the moon we cannot see from earth.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 06:21
    @metal-brain said
    A spacecraft to orbit the moon is on the way. All to know what China might be doing on the far side of the moon we cannot see from earth.
    Why do you even care?

What exactly is your worst-case scenario?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 06:25
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Nobody has actually visited the sites with water ice. They are deep inside craters that never get sunlight so the temperatures remain permanently hundreds of degrees below zero. And NASA has done surveys of the region by radar and has shown the possibility of massive amounts of water ice in those craters but as to the piece found it is not worth pursuing China or not. There are many more interesting things to discover on the moon.
    I doubt those craters would be in the Ocean of Storms. It would get some sunlight if it was, unless it is in some kind of cave. This is why the only realistic craters that could hold permanent ice would be at the poles.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 17:37
    @Suzianne
    I think MB's agenda is to try to sow discord and get us to be upset the Chinese are 'taking over the moon' or some such.

All that is based on one crashed piece of spacecraft.
  6. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    20 Aug '22 23:421 edit
    Does anyone know why the moon doesn’t rotate on its axis? My understanding is that the dark side of the moon is always the dark side of the moon? Am I wrong ?
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 06:12
    @medullah said
    Does anyone know why the moon doesn’t rotate on its axis? My understanding is that the dark side of the moon is always the dark side of the moon? Am I wrong ?
    This has been explained in Thread 193919
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 11:13
    @athousandyoung said
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasas-lunar-reconnaissance-orbiter-spots-rocket-impact-site-on-moon
    Hardly conclusive.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 11:162 edits
    @medullah said
    The moon does rotate but it is gravitationally locked so that it’s spin rate coincides with its orbit rate and therefore always presents the same hemisphere toward earth.

There is no such thing as “the dark side of the moon” (other than the Pink Floyd album). The facing side is completely bright during a full moon and the away side is fully lit during an eclipse of the sun. And it experiences every phase and crescent in between.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 11:18
    @metal-brain said
    It’s probably a virus factory for them.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 16:37
    @medullah said
    It's tidally locked to the Earth. (In other words, it does rotate on its axis, but because of the harmonics of the gravitational pull between it and the Earth, it does so in the same period it revolves around us, so we always see the same side.)

By the way, the dark side of the moon is not always the same. Because it's tidally locked to us, it shares our dark side, so where it's day on Earth, the corresponding part of the moon is also light. What's always (ish) the same is the far side of the moon. Not the same thing.

I could try and explain this all day long, but really, trying to do that with only text is futile. You'll understand it much better if you either find yourself an orrery (expensive!), or visit a planetarium. Which reminds me, I must one of these days visit Eise Eisinga.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 19:211 edit
    @divegeester said

The facing side is completely bright during a full moon and the away side is fully lit during an eclipse of the sun.
    "the away side is fully lit during an eclipse of the sun."

And during every new moon, not just those when we see an eclipse.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 21:272 edits
    @suzianne said
    "the away side is fully lit during an eclipse of the sun."

And during every new moon, not just those when we see an eclipse.
    The moon is only 100% fully lit on the far side during a total eclipse. During a new moon the sun is always at least a little oblique to the moon in terms of its relative position to the earth and therefore the far side is not fully lit.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Aug '22 01:29
    @medullah
    Because Earth tides have made the rotation of the moon equal to it's 'year' it mostly faces to us. one side only but we can guarantee it is rotating, it takes 28 odd days to do it. If you had a telescope point out from the lunar equator you would see the stars slowly change positions and 28 days later you would see the same stellar scene you saw the last time it was in that position.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Aug '22 13:20
    @divegeester said
    The moon is only 100% fully lit on the far side during a total eclipse. During a new moon the sun is always at least a little oblique to the moon in terms of its relative position to the earth and therefore the far side is not fully lit.
    Incorrect. The degree of difference is inconsequential.

During any new moon, we see none of the sunlit portion. Therefore the entire sunlit portion is on the other side. Since the sunlit portion is, by necessity, half of the moon's surface, this means the degree of difference caused by the angle of the sun's rays isn't enough to cause any of the far side to darken, nor any of the near side to be lit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree