1. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '21 22:57
    https://www.npr.org/2021/12/17/1064724045/this-new-space-telescope-should-reveal-what-the-universe-looked-like-as-a-baby?utm_source=pocket-newtab
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Dec '21 06:54
    @jimm619
    Launch Christmas Eve, 10 billion on the line. A LOT of stuff has to work perfectly to pull this off. Of course NASA did a bangup job of getting rovers to Mars safely so fingers crossed.

They said the mirrors are so subtle in shape they are pretty useless as a telescope mirror until the temperature of the mirror goes down near 400 degrees below zero F and the sun shield takes 200,000 watts coming from the sun and 20 MILLIWATTS gets through, quite a shield.
  3. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Dec '21 20:03
    Just looking at this James Webb Space Telescope makes me nervous. It looks totally and permanently exposed to any micrometeorite or dust particle that might slam into it.
    In addition, how sure are they that Lagrange point L2, where this scope will sit, is not packed full of space rocks or pebbles? Lagrange points tend to collect all sorts of space junk.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Dec '21 20:17
    @bunnyknight
    They would not have planned to put it there if they didn't have safety data and they do because we already have probes in Lagrangians, just not that one.
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '21 23:28
    @bunnyknight said
    Just looking at this James Webb Space Telescope makes me nervous. It looks totally and permanently exposed to any micrometeorite or dust particle that might slam into it.
    In addition, how sure are they that Lagrange point L2, where this scope will sit, is not packed full of space rocks or pebbles? Lagrange points tend to collect all sorts of space junk.
    It will be a million miles out.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '21 21:38
    @jimm619
    Stuff even in Earth orbit does not get whacked by debris very much, I think you can count the number of hits on one hand in the past 30 years.

And out a mil and a half from home there will still be debris, dust, meteors, asteroids, comets, solar winds, solar storms so it is not exactly a benign place to live but like our Hubble scope has not been hit by anything and it has been up for decades.
  7. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 04:02
    @sonhouse
    I just hope they have spare parts to repair any potential damage. Imagine if a tiny sand grain damaged that huge exposed mirror with no way to fix it. Scary.
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 09:55
    @bunnyknight said
    @sonhouse
    I just hope they have spare parts to repair any potential damage. Imagine if a tiny sand grain damaged that huge exposed mirror with no way to fix it. Scary.
    The hubble telescope can't be "repaired" anymore since the space shuttles were de commisioned.
    I don't know if they have a strategy for the James Webb
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 17:45
    I surely hope all goes well with the Webb.
    I cannot wait for all the new discoveries to come pouring in. There should be some awesome imaging.
    I regularly visit Astronomy.com and get Astronomy Magazine. We are embarking on a new era of discovery.

Quite the recess from my country's totally divided, politically motivated narratives that pass for "news" these days.

Peace to all! And for those who don't find it offensive, Merry Christmas.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 19:17
    @venda
    There is redundancy onboard both Hubble and Webb so in that sense they can be repaired remotely.

No more flights to Hubble though and Webb will be a mil and a half away so no humans will see THAT probe for decades or more, where some automatic repair probe could work on it.

Hubble just had two downtimes that were worked out by remote control and it is back in business now.
  11. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 20:41
    @venda said
    The hubble telescope can't be "repaired" anymore since the space shuttles were de commisioned.
    I don't know if they have a strategy for the James Webb
    They cannot repair it,
    as they did Hubble.
    It is too far out.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Dec '21 13:11
    @jimm619
    That is what redundancy is for. The ALWAYS put in redundant circuits so if one poops out, they can switch it via radio.
  13. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Dec '21 02:26
    @sonhouse said
    @jimm619
    That is what redundancy is for. The ALWAYS put in redundant circuits so if one poops out, they can switch it via radio.
    HUBBLE-------9 ft, mirror
    WEBB---------14 ft, mirror
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Dec '21 04:39
    @jimm619 said
    HUBBLE-------9 ft, mirror
    WEBB---------14 ft, mirror
    Eventually, one of these telescopes will be able to see the moment the Big Bang happens. That’ll be interesting.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Dec '21 13:06
    @bunnyknight said
    Said the rocket scientist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree