The Webb Telescope

The Webb Telescope

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jan 22

@Liljo
Well for sure it AINT atmospheric friction🙂

Moves
08 Jan 22
1 edit

@sonhouse said
@Liljo
Well for sure it AINT atmospheric friction🙂
LOL!
No sir. We can rule that out!

Slowed to 924.48mph now, with 247,250 to go.

Moves
08 Jan 22

The Starboard Primary Mirror is now opening. The Webb is approaching 664,000 miles out with about 235,500 miles to go. It has slowed to 896mph.

Every phase has worked well so far. If they pull this off successfully, it will be one of the greatest engineering feats of my lifetime.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jan 22

@Liljo
For me it was Apollo, but I am biased, I worked on the dam thing🙂

Moves
08 Jan 22

@sonhouse said
@Liljo
For me it was Apollo, but I am biased, I worked on the dam thing🙂
That's another one I consider "one of" the greatest feats of engineering in my lifetime.
That had to be some kind of experience for you. One Christmas, when I was maybe 10 or 11, my folks gave me one of those models we used to get, those kind you glued together. Mine was an Apollo Saturn V. For the day, even the model had all kinds of details, including the hidden Lunar Landing Module.

Moves
08 Jan 22

@liljo said
That's another one I consider "one of" the greatest feats of engineering in my lifetime.
That had to be some kind of experience for you. One Christmas, when I was maybe 10 or 11, my folks gave me one of those models we used to get, those kind you glued together. Mine was an Apollo Saturn V. For the day, even the model had all kinds of details, including the hidden Lunar Landing Module.
https://news.yahoo.com/space-telescopes-golden-eye-opens-162426674.html

Moves
08 Jan 22

@jimm619 said
https://news.yahoo.com/space-telescopes-golden-eye-opens-162426674.html
Yep per!
‘Bout all that is left is cruising on out for a few weeks, then boosting it into its final positioning.

It just passed the 668,000 mile mark, so your link is very current!

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
09 Jan 22

@Liljo
My little niece, who is an expert in space stuff from watching space movies, wants to know how this Webb telescope managed to squeeze through all the asteroids and thick nebula dust clouds which always cripple even the most advanced starships.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Jan 22

@bunnyknight
Well it is a BIT different in real life than movies. One biggie, space is VERY empty and even though there are millions of objects out there in our solar system that could ruin your day if you ran into one at 10,000 km/hr or some such, the thing is there are literally quadrillions of places those million things can be so space is a bit on the empty side otherwise all the probes out there like the two Voyagers now exiting the solar system entirely, they are still sending science data to Earth, even though they are some ten billion miles away, a tribute to our RF guys who figured out how to communicate over many billions of miles.
Anyway space is so empty even craft like those Voyagers are untouched by big stuff and those things have been in space for forty + years.

Moves
10 Jan 22

@bunnyknight said
@Liljo
My little niece, who is an expert in space stuff from watching space movies, wants to know how this Webb telescope managed to squeeze through all the asteroids and thick nebula dust clouds which always cripple even the most advanced starships.
I bet she’s a smart one! Even as wondrous as the universe is, she has the imaginative powers to see it even more so. Many blessings to her.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
10 Jan 22

@sonhouse said
@bunnyknight
Well it is a BIT different in real life than movies. One biggie, space is VERY empty and even though there are millions of objects out there in our solar system that could ruin your day if you ran into one at 10,000 km/hr or some such, the thing is there are literally quadrillions of places those million things can be so space is a bit on the empty side otherwi ...[text shortened]... ike those Voyagers are untouched by big stuff and those things have been in space for forty + years.
You should tell that to Hollywood movie directors who keep depicting asteroid fields so thick you can barely fit a pencil through them!

mlb62

Moves
10 Jan 22

Has it been announced what the first picture will be (released to the public) ?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
10 Jan 22

@ogb said
Not to my knowledge. I think the first epxositions will be more for calibrating purposes, but they may still publish one of those for the nerds out there 😉

Moves
10 Jan 22
1 edit

@ogb said
They are estimating about 6 months after reaching L2. So, late July, early August.

Current report: 703,400 miles away, with approx 194,300 to go.
The telescope has slowed its cruising speed (due to gravitational pull of Earth and Sun) to .2239 miles per second. It is fully deployed now, meaning all instrumentation and other systems, mirrors, radiator, etc. are in place.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Jan 22

@Liljo
I wonder if it is being hit by the sun or are the shields in place already to shield the scope from solar heat.
I would imagine that has been done already but it is bit of a scramble to get say the high gain antenna aimed at Earth and at the same time get the shields actually shielding. If they are in place then the final cooldown has already started.
The only thing about that is the scope cooling takes place with radiation only so that is a slow process. I think the scope mirrors have to get down to about 10 degrees K. 10 degrees from absolute zero.
That is the same temperature as my cryopumps use to do their work which is a vacuum pump.