Approximately 10:30EST

https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '22 22:15
    @Liljo
    Those images are really impressive! I would love to find out how long the exposures were for that scope. Hours? a minute? One thing, it doesn't have to move much to keep it on target as opposed to Hubble which has to keep it aimed while taking a 45 minute jaunt across from side of the planet which means it is saddled down with positioning tech to keep it aimed but out there at L2, no such problem, I imagine the orbit around that invisible planet takes months to complete so a MUCH less stressful and much smaller energy budget to control. Besides being about 5 times faster to get the same number of photons on the sensors.
    I wonder if and when there will be a successor to the WEBB!
    It will be a dozie for sure! But that will be what, 20 years from now.
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    13 Jul '22 01:331 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    Those images are really impressive! I would love to find out how long the exposures were for that scope. Hours? a minute? One thing, it doesn't have to move much to keep it on target as opposed to Hubble which has to keep it aimed while taking a 45 minute jaunt across from side of the planet which means it is saddled down with positioning tech to keep it aimed but ou ...[text shortened]... be a successor to the WEBB!
    I'm not certain about the length of the exposures, but the Deep Field shot was done one morning before breakfast, so it certainly wasn't very long at all. Wouldn't it be great to see that thing locked on to a target for a really good while!

From my (very limited) understanding, those were just "teaser images" intended for the public. They'll get down to some brass knuckle science now, and we are sure to see some real wonders before this is all over.

For a LOT more information, check this site:
    https://webbtelescope.org/news/first-images/gallery
  4. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    13 Jul '22 16:38
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    Those images are really impressive! I would love to find out how long the exposures were for that scope. Hours? a minute? One thing, it doesn't have to move much to keep it on target as opposed to Hubble which has to keep it aimed while taking a 45 minute jaunt across from side of the planet which means it is saddled down with positioning tech to keep it aimed but ou ...[text shortened]... be a successor to the WEBB!
    What I'd like is a side-by side comparison of, let's say the Carina Nebula, to see how Webby compares to Hubble.

As for a successor, we need to get Hubble hooked up with Webby so they can have a daughter named Hebby.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '22 18:56
    @bunnyknight said
    What I'd like is a side-by side comparison of, let's say the Carina Nebula, to see how Webby compares to Hubble.
    I saw a site today where they put the images up one over another and you could slide the boundary, but I've mislaid the link. The difference, though, was spectacular. Meanwhile, there's this:

https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/comparisonWebbVsHubble.html
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '22 09:081 edit
    @Shallow-Blue
    I would like to know how much time was spent with shutters open, one second? Ten? The real work I think will be with exposures measured in days. These photo's are just for public consumption to prove the scope works but that does not change the fact they are GREAT photos with new science even with those quickies.
    I like the first one, showing the Einstein rings.
    BTW, why would you think I don't do blues? I do Blues, played in an Irish band named Southwind, got a gig on a national TV show back in the day and I said I have 238 tracks on Soundcloud, I lied, now it is 239, a new one I composed just now, fingerpicking tune I called the Pony Express Rag.
    If you search that out, please don't put up my name here, I already ran into problems with that when I gave out my ham callsign.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Jul '22 16:37
    @sonhouse said
    @Shallow-Blue
    I would like to know how much time was spent with shutters open, one second? Ten?
    I don't have the exact figures ready, but the Hubble deep field took several days and the Webb deep field about the same number of hours.

I don't think it would be useful to get Webb to look at the same patch of sky for the time Hubble did. It would get overloaded. Doing so for a proportionally smaller patch would be more useful.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '22 19:51
    I want to see an alien.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '22 22:12
    @wildgrass
    Sorry, Trump is in hiding🙂
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Jul '22 07:37
    @wildgrass said
    I want to see an alien.
    see here (german satiric site):

https://www.der-postillon.com/2022/07/james-webb.html
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '22 20:48
    @ponderable said
    see here (german satiric site):

https://www.der-postillon.com/2022/07/james-webb.html
    LOL!
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '22 00:06
    @wildgrass
    Webb images of Jupiter:

https://phys.org/news/2022-07-nasa-webb-images-jupiter.html
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    29 Aug '22 14:07
    Very big news among astronomy folk:

"NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has captured the first clear evidence for carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of a planet outside the solar system. This observation of a gas giant planet orbiting a Sun-like star 700 light-years away provides important insights into the composition and formation of the planet. The finding, which is accepted for publication in Nature, is also indicative of Webb’s unique ability to detect and measure carbon dioxide in the thinner atmospheres of smaller, rocky planets."

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1711/webb-sees-carbon-dioxide-in-exoplanets-atmosphere/
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 03:38
    @Liljo
    Beat me to it🙂 Wonder how the fact it was so close to it's parent star helped in the analysis?
    And what does that mean for the thousands of stars a lot closer to us?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree