1. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 02:55
    Originally posted by EdTrice
    It's a dinner date, it's not like "Indescent Proposal."

And if it is such a bad idea, why do so many people sign up for the "Win a Date" thing?

🙂
    Okay, fair enough, she's not a hooker or anything. People signing up doesn't make it a great idea though, that isn't logical. You aren't getting it really... So, if you are a woman who is straight, this "prize" isn't too great. Are you encouraging lesbians to enter? I'm being tongue in cheek, but this is just weird. It is 2006 ya know.

A prize of tuition is awesome, and should get people's attention. Making a big deal about a date with a supermodel/tournament director and alienating women who might be interested is not good. (my girlfriend used the word "clueless"😉

Anyway, good luck to ya, I am raking you about this promotion, but think Gothic chess is pretty cool, and think that any promotion that gives prizes like this is good for the gaming hobby overall. I would like to see Gothic Chess here at RHP as a variant to have fun with as well.

Steve
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 03:36
    Originally posted by Turfmoor
    I think it is a good idea - lets all be supportive and forward thinking
    🙂
    How about not being sheep? 😛
  3. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 22:07
    Grandmaster Andy Soltis' interview for the New York Post

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292006/entertainment/bobby__tolya_may_be_game_for_gothic_entertainment_andy_soltis.htm
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 02:05
    I just wanted to state that I will no longer reply to the troll named Bedlam. Originally, I thought his posts were sincere. But now, upon further reflection, that person is purely argumentative, and offers no real constructive input whatsoever.

I will expend no more thought, nor energy, reading or replying to that person's posts.
    You're quite whiney. People are bound to have criticisms, and you should learn to deal with them.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 02:06
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    How about not being sheep? 😛
    "Baa went the bishop." - I've never really understood that quote. 😀

But not being sheep sounds like a good idea.
  6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 02:12
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    "Baa went the bishop." - I've never really understood that quote. 😀

But not being sheep sounds like a good idea.
    Its a welsh thing 🙂
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 02:14
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Its a welsh thing 🙂
    Oh. I may never get it then. 🙂
  8. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 02:15
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Oh. I may never get it then. 🙂
    If you ever do the counseling will be expensive 🙂
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 11:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 11:15
    Well, if you were correct, I would agree with you 🙂

The 2002 college scholarship event was just for 1 year's tuition. We had 895 participants.

In 2003 we had 1640.

In 2004, over 2000.

In 2005 we offered 2 years' tuition, and it was a fiasco, with over 4000 registrations, maybe 60% of the registrations coming within 1 month of the event, and peo ...[text shortened]... ear that is going to U Conn for free for 2 years would really, really disagree with you.
    Well, I've spent many hours trying to find traces of these tournaments that Ed Trice said took place, and I haven't found anything.

I've come to the conclusion that no Gothic Chess tournament of any sort took place prior to 2004, let alone one with 895 participents (in 2002) or 1640 participents (in 2003).

If this many people played in a Gothic Chess tournament there would be evidence on the internet, e.g. blogs mentioning Gothic Chess, newspaper reports of a massive new chess tournament etc. I've looked and there's nothing. I think Ed Trice is lieing and I don't like it when people lie to me.

I want to make a wager - I'm willing to bet that no public Gothic Chess match involving Bobby Fischer will take place before the end of 2007. I only bet what I can afford to lose, which in this case is $100. So, Mr Ed Trice, if you want to accept the bet then if any Gothic Chess match involving Bobby Fischer starts either this year or next year then I'll send you $100 immediately, if it doesn't then you can send me a cheque for $100 in January 2008. I realise that this sum of money is trivial compared to the amounts you are spending and hoping to earn, but think of it as symbolic.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 11:36
    From the link Ed posted:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292006/entertainment/bobby__tolya_may_be_game_for_gothic_entertainment_andy_soltis.htm

"In March, Trice got Karpov to sign an informal agreement to play Bobby, with $10 million for the winner. In June, Trice visited Iceland and met with Fischer's longtime friend Fridrik Olafsson to get Bobby's consent.

They offered Fischer a $20,000 check just to talk. But Bobby insisted on cash, and no meeting was held. Now he's asking for $50,000 to talk.

But Fischer is fascinated with Gothic Chess, Trice said, and indicated he'd be interested in playing Karpov in the Manila area. Now Trice is waiting for Fischer to choose a hotel.
    "

So it reads to me like Karpov, said, "Sure, I'll play any variant of chess you want me to for that much money"

But Fischer wouldn't even talk to them unless they paid cash? It doesn't say that they have even managed to do that yet. The only thing you have to go on is Trice's own words, "But Fischer is fascinated with Gothic Chess, Trice said."

Sounds unbelievable to me as well. I wish Ed "luck" but the more I read, the more it sounds like dreams and wishes, instead of any solid agreement to actually play.
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 11:43
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Well, I've spent many hours trying to find traces of these tournaments that Ed Trice said took place, and I haven't found anything.

I've come to the conclusion that no Gothic Chess tournament of any sort took place prior to 2004, let alone one with 895 participents (in 2002) or 1640 participents (in 2003).
    Agreed,

Ed, If these really did take place. Can you post the link to at least one 3rd party news article regarding them? I can't believe that such large real in-person tournaments would have taken place completely under the nose of journalists.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 12:59
    Originally posted by Fat Lady

I want to make a wager - I'm willing to bet that no public Gothic Chess match involving Bobby Fischer will take place before the end of 2007. I only bet what I can afford to lose, which in this case is $100. So, Mr Ed Trice, if you want to accept the bet then if any Gothic Chess match involving Bobby Fischer starts either this year or next year th ...[text shortened]... ial compared to the amounts you are spending and hoping to earn, but think of it as symbolic.
    Hi
    Firstly please be careful of the libel laws, remember Ed Trice is a real person and to call him a liar without any proof is not only horrid but also a potential danger to this site and yourself.
    Secondly if Mr Trice accepts your wager, then you need to put ALL of the details in the public domain, I mean especially your real name, after all when Ed wins your $100, and IF you don't pay up he can hardly chase Fat Lady through the courts!
    There again I expect you know that which makes your wager the emptiest and most insincere piece of negativity I have seen for a while

Either put up or shut up
    get back to your mediocre chess

Thanks
    :-)
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 13:241 edit
    1) I'll be very happy to apologise publicly to Ed Trice if he can show evidence that the Gothic Chess tournaments he mentioned took place.

2) My name is no big secret and I'll be happy to put it on this thread if and when Ed Trice accepts the wager.

3) I understand it's difficult to force people to honour bets by taking them to court. I believe that gambling debts are treated as a "gentleman's agreement" between the parties (cue joke about me not being a gentleman).

4) You are possibly correct about libel. Perhaps I should have worded it "I do not believe that the tournaments that Ed Trice said took place, did, in fact, take place" to make it clear that I am expressing an opinion.

5) I think my chess is better than mediocre, but I respect your opinion on the matter.
  15. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 13:55
    A $100 wager? That's a ridiculously small amount, isn't it? Your wager is basically 30 cents a day. I have already put significant money into the match. My "wager" is that when it happens, I will gain millions in revenues, so this extra $100 will not even be noticed.

Let's make the wager more interesting.

If I win, you have to wear your underwear only, someone from my company gets to paint "I Love Gothic Chess" on you, front and back, and you must walk up and down the busiest street in Philadelphia while we videotape you, and we will play this on our website.

Now, tell me what you want me to do if I lose.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree