1. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 21:322 edits
    Originally posted by EdTrice
    This is Ed Trice. I was on the radio program 2 Thursdays ago.

This is not a publicity stunt. If we wanted to do such a thing, we would just have Alexis' legs on the cover of the New York Times.

http://www.gothicchess.com/images/alexis_10.jpg

This match is now 19 months in preparation. Bobby Fischer is interested in Gothic Chess as he has occasional favor and stop telling me this is a hoax. You're talking about my retirement money 🙂
    I'll believe it when I see it, I still doubt Fischer can even remember how the horsey moves 😛

Maybe if you really get this to happen (and I think most people believe it wont) you should run for FIDE president......I mean if you could pull this off you'd be doing a much better job than the jokers running chess now.
  2. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 05:41
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    I'll believe it when I see it, I still doubt Fischer can even remember how the horsey moves 😛

Maybe if you really get this to happen (and I think most people believe it wont) you should run for FIDE president......I mean if you could pull this off you'd be doing a much better job than the jokers running chess now.
    While I was in Iceland, Grandmaster Fridrik Olafsson told me the first day FIscher had his Gothic Chess set, he indentured his long time friend for hours on end. Fridrik finally said "Bobby, we are not so young anymore, let me sleep..."

According to Fridrik, Bobby has some really good lines already, so I think he knows how the pieces move 🙂

Your points about the likelihood of the match actually happening are at the forefront of my mind every day. I want Mr. Fischer to know we are there for him, as friends, and not just supporters. We are not just looking to "make a buck", we are trying to market HIM as a chess entity worthy of subsequent match sponsors. We are committed to helping Bobby through his difficult times, and we believe we can help him relax a little, and eventually bring him back for all to behold.
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 05:544 edits
    We are committed to helping Bobby through his difficult times, and we believe we can help him relax a little, and eventually bring him back for all to behold.
    This is maybe the other sticking point for a lot of chess fans......they dont want him back.

Fischer has annoyed a lot of people, inside the chess world he is loved by many.....although feelings are split, just looking at the blogs will show this.....

http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1160704824.shtml

Susan Polgar's blog also had a number of anit Fischer comments.

However outside the chess community especially in say the USA Fischer is hated, do you feel you risk turning a nation or a good proportion of it against Gothic Chess thus damaging the future of your game? A crown of thorns so to speak.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 07:46
    I played 2 games od gothic chess yesterday - it was brilliant!
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 08:03
    This is maybe the other sticking point for a lot of chess fans......they dont want him back.

Fischer has annoyed a lot of people, inside the chess world he is loved by many.....although feelings are split, just looking at the blogs will show this.....

http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1160704824.shtml

Susan Polgar's blog also had a number of anit ...[text shortened]... f it against Gothic Chess thus damaging the future of your game? A crown of thorns so to speak.
    Hi dear friend
    It is true that some people (Mainly George Bush supporters) are anti Fischer but I think that across the world opinion would be much more in favour of seeing this happen, for chess, for curiosity for lots of reasons. But if the chess community can't be supportive then it will be much harder to ever get the sport of chess any media coverage, the knock on effect if this goes ahead would be as good for traditional chess as for the Gothic version.

I know it is true that Susan Polgar's blog has attracted anti Fischer remarks - but I have also seen some horrid remarks aimed at Kramnik, Topalov, Kasparov and even Susan herself!! I put it down to the bravery of the anonymous posters, lol

Why not give Ed the benefit of the doubt and see what he can cook up with this, the proof of his pudding will be in the eating

🙂
  6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 08:305 edits
    Originally posted by Turfmoor
    Hi dear friend
    It is true that some people (Mainly George Bush supporters) are anti Fischer but I think that across the world opinion would be much more in favour of seeing this happen, for chess, for curiosity for lots of reasons. But if the chess community can't be supportive then it will be much harder to ever get the sport of chess any media coverage, bt and see what he can cook up with this, the proof of his pudding will be in the eating

🙂
    Hello 🙂

"It is true that some people (Mainly George Bush supporters) are anti Fischer but I think that across the world opinion would be much more in favour of seeing this happen, for chess, for curiosity for lots of reasons."

People do tend to be attracted to freak shows.

"But if the chess community can't be supportive then it will be much harder to ever get the sport of chess any media coverage, the knock on effect if this goes ahead would be as good for traditional chess as for the Gothic version.

Providing Fischer doesnt use it as a stand to make some statement as he probably would.

"know it is true that Susan Polgar's blog has attracted anti Fischer remarks - but I have also seen some horrid remarks aimed at Kramnik, Topalov, Kasparov and even Susan herself!! I put it down to the bravery of the anonymous posters, lol"

Most of the worlds population dont have a clue who Kramnik or Topalov are, Fischer on the other hand is loved and hated by many....outside of the chess community its mainly hate, they have very little reason to love him. The remarks aimed at Kasparov etc are normally pointless, the remarks aimed at Fischer are for most people justified.

"Why not give Ed the benefit of the doubt and see what he can cook up with this, the proof of his pudding will be in the eating"

One of Ed's comments although clearly jokingis quite misleading ""This is not a publicity stunt. If we wanted to do such a thing, we would just have Alexis' legs on the cover of the New York Times." Although its clear he means this is a humours way you have to ask yourself if sticking Alexis's leg on the front of a newspaper wouldnt get any press coverage at all, I doubt anyone would care in the slightest. On the other hand releasing the information that you have Fischer playing a game and its world news for chess fans. Im not saying that he released this just for publicity...how can I? Iv no idea....but anyone releasing this must know it will get publicity.

If someone is ready to release the details en mass and reap the benifits they should also be prepared for people to be skeptical. Im sure the Gothic Chess site has seen more hits recently than in any time of its history....how much has the traffic on the Gothic chess site increased Ed, if you dont mind saying?

If he does pull it off then it will be something that chess/gothic chess players will remember and debate for hundreds of years, I do hope he manages it but I have doubts. However even if it doesnt happen Gothic Chess has been put on the map in a way it wasnt before.......Ed is probably a very smart business man, who should be praised for doing the best for his business 🙂
  7. Gothenburg City! xD
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 09:28
    GOTHIC CHESS IS AWSOME!! ;P;P

FixarN
  8. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 13:35
    I think most people are well-versed in the past concerning Fischer's harmful remarks. But what if I told you one of our objectives is to get him to turn over a new leaf? We have Media Consultants and "Life Coaches" prepared to work with him. We are not interested in showing his talent as if he was an animal in a cage. We also have a benefactor that is willing to pay off his owed back taxes to the USA in exchange for him demonstrating some penitance by issuing a statement prior to the start of the match. This would be an all-encompassing statement, effectively apologizing for all of his previous hate-centric diatribe.

We are trying to bring back "the old Bobby" before the emergence of the persecution complex and the anti-semitism. How the world reacts to this would ultimately determine its success or failure. If he is continued to be shunned, I think he will retreat forever. If people can let bygones be bygones and accept his sincerity, we may see more of him, in a new light.
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 13:43
    I think most people are well-versed in the past concerning Fischer's harmful remarks. But what if I told you one of our objectives is to get him to turn over a new leaf? We have Media Consultants and "Life Coaches" prepared to work with him. We are not interested in showing his talent as if he was an animal in a cage. We also have a benefactor that is willin ...[text shortened]... an let bygones be bygones and accept his sincerity, we may see more of him, in a new light.
    Changing Fischers life as well as getting him into the chess spot light again........wow you dont lack ambition I will give you that 🙂

"We also have a benefactor that is willing to pay off his owed back taxes to the USA in exchange for him demonstrating some penitance by issuing a statement prior to the start of the match. This would be an all-encompassing statement, effectively apologizing for all of his previous hate-centric diatribe."
    This sounds very complex to arange? Has Fischer agreed to this?

It would be nice to see Fischer play chess or gothic chess, but you are right he would probably be seen as a monkey in a cage doing magic tricks and then maybe disapear from view again after this match?

When do you expect it all to come together are we talking months or years?
  10. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 17:20
    Changing Fischers life as well as getting him into the chess spot light again........wow you dont lack ambition I will give you that 🙂

[i]"We also have a benefactor that is willing to pay off his owed back taxes to the USA in exchange for him demonstrating some penitance by issuing a statement prior to the start of the match. This would be an all-encompas ...[text shortened]... fter this match?

When do you expect it all to come together are we talking months or years?
    The offer has been extended as an Olive Branch, it is up to Mr. Fischer to accept or refuse it. The timeframe is months, not years.
  11. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 12:05
    I will be updating the site with more information:

http://www.GothicChess.com/news.html

The page is still being built but will have more information today
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 09:35
    I am trying to persuade mum and dad to put a set in my Xmas stocking, are they available in England yet?
    x
  13. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 21:32
    Since the Fischer-Kaprov announcement we have functionally sold out. Next shipment is due in about 10 days, so don't order before then please.
  14. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 21:36
    Since the Fischer-Kaprov announcement we have functionally sold out. Next shipment is due in about 10 days, so don't order before then please.
    Shock imagine that.....publicity 🙂

I looked at the news page it had nothing Fischer on it. Is that an indication of nothing new to report?
  15. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 03:231 edit
    Shock imagine that.....publicity 🙂

I looked at the news page it had nothing Fischer on it. Is that an indication of nothing new to report?
    No just very far behind in our work. Writing contracts for TV stations around the world in their native language takes a lot of time.

And if you think we make money on the very thin profit margins on chess piece sales, think again. We make money by sending kids to college for $125.

http://www.gothicchess.com/scholarship.html

We'll get 9,000 registrations x $125 each and pay for 2 separate 4-year scholarships to college. Do the math 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree