1. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 16:34
    Originally posted by Turfmoor
    I think in Gothic Chess you can still play very educated opponents, especially those that have studied classical chess in detail,
    indeed I would suggest that these may be the toughest opponents -

of course you will have the advantage, that in Gothic Chess you will not be facing Fritz, it will be a while before the multitude of engine users migrate from sites such as this to Gothic chess
    🙂
    Its going to be years before Gothic Chess get anywhere as near as sharp as ICC or Playchess at catching cheats. 🙂
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 16:54
    Even better

Every season, there is a tournament where the winner gets to go on a date with Alexis, the supermodel/tournament director. She flies over
    200,000 miles per year so she gets amazing flight deals and perks, so
    wherever the winner is, she goes to them.

*Shudders*
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 17:11
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Whats even better a few pages later the person really pushing Gothic Chess makes this comment

"Gothic Chess requires much more depth than most chess players can
    appreciate, as you have demonstrated."

😛
    I just read that thread, that guy is a moron.

But, once I have successfully solved Chess, perhaps I will look into this Gothic Chess that requires so much more depth. 🙂
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 17:23
    Originally posted by EdTrice
    Well, if you were correct, I would agree with you 🙂

The 2002 college scholarship event was just for 1 year's tuition. We had 895 participants.

In 2003 we had 1640.

In 2004, over 2000.

In 2005 we offered 2 years' tuition, and it was a fiasco, with over 4000 registrations, maybe 60% of the registrations coming within 1 month of the event, and peo ...[text shortened]... ear that is going to U Conn for free for 2 years would really, really disagree with you.
    I'm not very quick on the uptake, so please forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions.

Are you saying that you held a Gothic Chess tournament in 2002 in which 895 people turned up and played, or are you talking about an online tournament?

Do you have links to news coverage of this tournament, or of any of the ones in subsequent years?

I'm not calling you a liar, but I find that so incredible that I need to see proof with my own eyes!
  5. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 17:46
    I see nothing wrong with Gothic Chess as a game....You cant even really call it a chess variant because it adds new pieces. I think it can appeal to chess players who want to step out and play something new with their chess buddies. I doubt it would replace chess for most people on this site, but it doesnt appear to be a bad game at all.

I guess I can't buy the supermodel/tournament director thing.... If the game is good, it can stand on its own, you dont need some girl who talks about blitz as "playing at amazing speed." Jesus. And sending her out on a date with the winner like some call girl is crass also.
  6. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:01
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I'm not very quick on the uptake, so please forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions.

Are you saying that you held a Gothic Chess tournament in 2002 in which 895 people turned up and played, or are you talking about an online tournament?

Do you have links to news coverage of this tournament, or of any of the ones in subsequent years?

I'm not calling you a liar, but I find that so incredible that I need to see proof with my own eyes!
    The games, the playing sites, all of the award ceremonies, they have been videotaped, some have made it to various local news stations, and we published parts of it in old newsletters.

Your belief or disbelief does not drive these events 🙂
  7. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:03
    Originally posted by wargamer66
    I see nothing wrong with Gothic Chess as a game....You cant even really call it a chess variant because it adds new pieces. I think it can appeal to chess players who want to step out and play something new with their chess buddies. I doubt it would replace chess for most people on this site, but it doesnt appear to be a bad game at all.

I guess I c ...[text shortened]... d." Jesus. And sending her out on a date with the winner like some call girl is crass also.
    It's a dinner date, it's not like "Indescent Proposal."

And if it is such a bad idea, why do so many people sign up for the "Win a Date" thing?

🙂
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:07
    The games, the playing sites, all of the award ceremonies, they have been videotaped, some have made it to various local news stations, and we published parts of it in old newsletters.

Your belief or disbelief does not drive these events 🙂
    Woah, bud, that's not true at all. I'm 17, everyone here knows it, and so if anybody was interested at this site in participating in the event where college tuition is offered it's me. And I have trouble believing those numbers as well, and tournament size is, to me, very important. the fewer the entrants the better chance I would enter. You're doing a crappy job appealing to your consumer with comments like that. You should have solid proof, if you don't I think you are a liar and won't enter the tournament because I now have doubts that the prize would even get to me.
  9. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:13
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Its going to be years before Gothic Chess get anywhere as near as sharp as ICC or Playchess at catching cheats. 🙂
    Actually, I have already talked to I.C.C. about putting Gothic Chess online. Marty Grund has mentioned a way to interleave the search engine interface into Gothic Vortex and S.M.I.R.F., two of the most common Gothic Chess programs out there. The objective is to make this happen by Spring 2007, summer at the latest.
  10. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:18
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Woah, bud, that's not true at all. I'm 17, everyone here knows it, and so if anybody was interested at this site in participating in the event where college tuition is offered it's me. And I have trouble believing those numbers as well, and tournament size is, to me, very important. the fewer the entrants the better chance I would enter. You're doing a ...[text shortened]... won't enter the tournament because I now have doubts that the prize would even get to me.
    The prize is put into a third party account known as an Escrow Account. It is not under our control. It is disseminated based on who actually wins. The Gothic Chess Federation could disappear and those who earn the scholarships get their prizes.

It is run under close watch by watchdog agencies that are a part of our Federal Government, in particular because we have to pay off Student Loans already accrued by the winners. So we have a close relationship with the various agencies.

After the prizes have been paid out, we get the differential. Again, it is specified in the terms of the Escrow Account, which typically has $750,000 per prize in it before the tournament even startss.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:20
    Actually, I have already talked to I.C.C. about putting Gothic Chess online. Marty Grund has mentioned a way to interleave the search engine interface into Gothic Vortex and S.M.I.R.F., two of the most common Gothic Chess programs out there. The objective is to make this happen by Spring 2007, summer at the latest.
    Congratulations Ed 🙂
    I think people will become kinder to you once they start playing Gothic chess.
    It will be quite challenging for some people to use their brain from move one, rather than regurgitate opening theory for half a dozen or so moves . . . .1.e4 e5 2.f4 would be the freakiest KG ever!
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:28
    The prize is put into a third party account known as an Escrow Account. It is not under our control. It is disseminated based on who actually wins. The Gothic Chess Federation could disappear and those who earn the scholarships get their prizes.

It is run under close watch by watchdog agencies that are a part of our Federal Government, in particular becau ...[text shortened]... Escrow Account, which typically has $750,000 per prize in it before the tournament even startss.
    It was a hypothetical situation.

I am 17 though, and I still do not see proof of the astounding number of entrants that you mentioned.
  13. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:37
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    It was a hypothetical situation.

I am 17 though, and I still do not see proof of the astounding number of entrants that you mentioned.
    If you read I.C.C. in upcoming months, all will become clear. This year, since we are offering 4-year full scholarships, and since we can't put the likes of 16,000 people into Bartel Hall in Kansas City, we will be having the first 3 rounds online.

I.C.C. will be able to administer this large online tournament, but it is a big project.

And yes, anti-cheating measures will be in place.

After 3 rounds, a pool of 16,000 will be brought down to 2,000 a much more manageable number.

The semifinalists will then play in different regions around the country, to help minimize travel distance, and then the finalists will meet in Philadelphia, all expenses paid.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:40
    If you read I.C.C. in upcoming months, all will become clear. This year, since we are offering 4-year full scholarships, and since we can't put the likes of 16,000 people into Bartel Hall in Kansas City, we will be having the first 3 rounds online.

I.C.C. will be able to administer this large online tournament, but it is a big project.

And yes, anti-ch ...[text shortened]... minimize travel distance, and then the finalists will meet in Philadelphia, all expenses paid.
    I use PC, I won't be reading ICC.
  15. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:54
    It's a dinner date, it's not like "Indescent Proposal."

And if it is such a bad idea, why do so many people sign up for the "Win a Date" thing?

🙂
    Because they are sad.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree