1. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 02:461 edit
    If, and as always with Bobby, it is a BIG if this goes ahead, who do we think will win?
    My heart say Fischer
    but . . . . . . . . . .

I believe this is Gothic Chess
    🙂
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 02:55
    Originally posted by Turfmoor
    If, and as always with Bobby, it is a BIG if this goes ahead, who do we think will win?
    My heart say Fischer
    but . . . . . . . . . .

I believe this is Gothic Chess
    🙂
    did it take you 35 years to write this?

and what concessions would fischer demand this time? perhaps that karpov play blindfolded, or drunk?
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:02
    Originally posted by flexmore
    did it take you 35 years to write this?

and what concessions would fischer demand this time? perhaps that karpov play blindfolded, or drunk?
    As far as I am aware the match has been agreed by both players with a total prize fund of $15000000

as I said it is Gothic Chess but should be interesting none the less
  4. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:17
    As far as I am aware the match has been agreed by both players with a total prize fund of $15000000

Where is this news?... You have links to it?
  5. Under Cover
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:19
    Is turfmoor from Los Angeles, just wondering...
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:20
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    Where is this news?... You have links to it?
    http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2006/10/fischer-vs-karpov-it-could-finally.html
    you can listen to a live radio broadcast right now!
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:23
    Originally posted by BLReid
    Is turfmoor from Los Angeles, just wondering...
    Tw@
    🙂
  8. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:321 edit
    Wow, what a coincidence this is! Just a couple of days ago, I posted a thread on the feasibility of luring Fischer to play again. Interestingly, someone said that he has nothing to prove; that he IS the best; that he had proven so by coming back to play against Spassky in the nineties. Well, I beg to differ. At best, I would agree to a 'WAS'. Indeed Fischer was (and in all likelihood still is) a very good player. As far as I am concerned, he WAS the best, but I am not sure about 'IS'.

Yes, granted, he did emerged from chess wilderness to take up the challenge by Spassky, and won those games convincingly. But I don't think that Spassky was the best in the world when those games were played. In order for Fischer to claim that he IS the best, then he must beat the best in the world. Well, at least that's the way I see it.
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:331 edit

Im listening to it right now, sounds like total BS. For a start I doubt that Gothic Chess could cough up $15,000,000.

I suspect that in a few weeks/months time this will be shown to be a publicity stunt.
  10. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:44

if i had $15 million to put into chess then i would put up $14.5 mill in prize for Kramnik v Topalov -take two, and $500,000 on the bathrooms.
  11. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:50
    Originally posted by flexmore
    if i had $15 million to put into chess then i would put up $14.5 mill in prize for Kramnik v Topalov -take two, and $500,000 on the bathrooms.
    LOL... I think you are missing the point. Which games would sell better in your opinion? Curiosity is a very strange thing. If people are not following the Fischer games because of brilliant chess, they would at least do it out of curiosity -- just to see if he still has it!
  12. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:51
    Neeeeeeevvvveeerrrrrrr going to happen, Fischer probably cant even remember how the knight moves.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:531 edit
    Interesting that GM Susan Polgar has some involvement, there were rumours years ago that Fischer lived in Budapest with the Polgar family for a while.
    Imagine the possibilities of chess across the breakfast table!
    🙂
  14. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 03:58
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    LOL... I think you are missing the point. Which games would sell better in your opinion? Curiosity is a very strange thing. If people are not following the Fischer games because of brilliant chess, they would at least do it out of curiosity -- just to see if he still has it!
    i suppose there is no need to show karpov still has it - he has shown that over and over:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karpov#World_champion

In 1991 Karpov temporarily dropped to third in the FIDE ranking list, the first time since 1971. Though he quickly recovered, many said that Karpov had lost his edge, and that his playing level had declined. However, Karpov bounced back against the world's very strongest players (in the order of their finish, Kasparov, Shirov, Bareev, Kramnik, Lautier, Anand, Kamsky, Topalov, Ivanchuk, Gelfand, Illescas, Judit Polgar, and Beliavsky) in the landmark "super-strong" tournament Linares 1994 (average ELO rating 2685, the highest ever to that moment, meaning it was the first Category XVIII tournament ever held).

Impressed by the strength of the tournament, Kasparov had said several days before the tournament that the winner could rightfully be called the world champion of tournaments. Perhaps spurred on by this comment, Karpov played the chess of his life and dramatically won the tournament. He was undefeated and earned 11 points out of 13 possible (the best world-class tournament winning percentage since Alekhine won San Remo in 1930), dominating second-place Kasparov and Shirov by a huge 2.5 points. Many of his wins were spectacular (in particular, his win over Topalov, detailed below, is considered possibly his finest throughout his career). This performance against the best players in the world put his ELO rating tournament performance at 2985, the highest performance rating of any chess player in any tournament in all of chess history.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:061 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree