1. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by Turfmoor
    Congratulations Ed 🙂
    I think people will become kinder to you once they start playing Gothic chess.
    It will be quite challenging for some people to use their brain from move one, rather than regurgitate opening theory for half a dozen or so moves . . . .1.e4 e5 2.f4 would be the freakiest KG ever!
    Iv played Gothic Chess, its intresting......I even watched Ed play,he won 🙂

I dont think most people have much to say about the game one way or another but the way it is marketed seems a little odd.
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 20:59
    Originally posted by EdTrice
    Actually, I have already talked to I.C.C. about putting Gothic Chess online. Marty Grund has mentioned a way to interleave the search engine interface into Gothic Vortex and S.M.I.R.F., two of the most common Gothic Chess programs out there. The objective is to make this happen by Spring 2007, summer at the latest.
    ie years 🙂

How will the gothic chess server deal with people who have two pcs? Playchess and co can and do tackle this problem in their tournaments.
  3. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 21:06
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Because they are sad.
    Well they all seem happy to me. Never once a frown in the whole group 🙂
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 21:06
    ie years 🙂

How will the gothic chess server deal with people who have two pcs? Playchess and co can and do tackle this problem in their tournaments.
    I think Playchess is a much better deal because of the engine package, and some of the features. However, some of ICC does seem to have more top level players and simuls, etc. Playchess for features, ICC for top players. And PC is a better deal overall.
  5. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 21:13
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I think Playchess is a much better deal because of the engine package, and some of the features. However, some of ICC does seem to have more top level players and simuls, etc. Playchess for features, ICC for top players. And PC is a better deal overall.
    Playchess seems to be slapping the crap out of ICC of late. Totally smashed ICC's max online users recently. ICC does seem to have more GMs online but playchess doesnt stick GM next to each of the GM's playing there its down to the GM themselves.

Give it a few more years and I think the balance will swing even more in Playchess's favor.
  6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 21:15
    Well they all seem happy to me. Never once a frown in the whole group 🙂
    They are crying on the inside if they want to get a date that way. Didnt most people stop doing things like this when they were 15? 🙂

I will offer each of them life coaching.....🙂
  7. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 21:21
    They are crying on the inside if they want to get a date that way. Didnt most people stop doing things like this when they were 15? 🙂

I will offer each of them life coaching.....🙂
    Let me tell you something, two bodybuilders from the Arnold Classic were there competing in that event, as were some other rough looking dudes. I don't think they have problems getting dates.
  8. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 21:301 edit
    Let me tell you something, two bodybuilders from the Arnold Classic were there competing in that event, as were some other rough looking dudes. I don't think they have problems getting dates.
    Tell you what. Alexis should enter something and if she wins she gets a date with me......sound fair? I wonder what mentality one would have to be to enter a competition for a date.....

Two body builders entering this this is better than Fischer!.......indeed life tutoring seems a must 🙂
  9. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 22:19
    I just wanted to state that I will no longer reply to the troll named Bedlam. Originally, I thought his posts were sincere. But now, upon further reflection, that person is purely argumentative, and offers no real constructive input whatsoever.

I will expend no more thought, nor energy, reading or replying to that person's posts.
  10. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 23:121 edit
    I just wanted to state that I will no longer reply to the troll named Bedlam. Originally, I thought his posts were sincere. But now, upon further reflection, that person is purely argumentative, and offers no real constructive input whatsoever.

I will expend no more thought, nor energy, reading or replying to that person's posts.
    Gosh, thats made my day 😛

Im off to think about the publicity putting a leg on the front cover of the Times would have compared to announcing you have Fischer playing for you not to mention all the other misleading statements.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 23:40

I think it is a good idea - lets all be supportive and forward thinking
    🙂
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 00:302 edits
    The games, the playing sites, all of the award ceremonies, they have been videotaped, some have made it to various local news stations, and we published parts of it in old newsletters.

Your belief or disbelief does not drive these events 🙂
    Hi Ed,

Are your tournaments online or over the board?

I realise that my opinion counts for little, but I do find Gothic Chess facinating. Not for the game itself, but for the interest you are managing to create for it.

I've always understood that over the board tournaments in America are generally weak and have trouble getting entries, mainly due to the physical size of the country. If you could get over 800 people entering a classical chess tournament in America, or indeed anywhere in the world, I think that would be a fantastic result. To do this for a new game is, quite frankly, astonishing, and you shoud be congratulated.

I'd be really interested to see the videos of your tournaments if you could publish them on youtube.com or anything similar.
  13. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 00:59
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Hi Ed,

Are your tournaments online or over the board?

I realise that my opinion counts for little, but I do find Gothic Chess facinating. Not for the game itself, but for the interest you are managing to create for it.

I've always understood that over the board tournaments in America are generally weak and have trouble getting entries, mainly due t ...[text shortened]... e the videos of your tournaments if you could publish them on youtube.com or anything similar.
    You have to understand:

1. We send materials to just about every college in the USA with a population of > 7,000 students
    2. We place ads in these same college newspapers
    3. We get SOME press out it as the tournaments draw near
    4. We get a lot of word of mouth advertising

The tournaments have always been offline, i.e. at some physical location. The picture taken here:
    http://www.gothicchess.com/images/tuition_tournament.gif

Was Bartel Hall, in Kansas City, which is absolutely huge.

Most of the participants do not have pre-built-in bias. To them, a game is a game is a game, and Gothic Chess is a cool version of one game they like, i.e. chess.

Someone will play 11 games of Gothic Chess in 2007 and have a free education to look forward to. How can parents say no, I mean, really?
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 01:35
    Hi Ed,

I read some pages on your site: http://www.gothicchess.com/scholarship.html

This says that there will be three preliminary online games, and only those on 3/3 will be guarenteed entry to one of the "real life" events, and that these preliminary games are essentially a knock-out, i.e. if someone loses in the first game, they needn't bother turning up for the second.

I guess this is a good way to run a large tournament in a big country like America, but do you really think that people will pay $100 if they realise that they have a 50-50 chance of only playing one online game?

I'm really interested in what you are doing. I'm going to be running a chess tournament myself early next year, and I'm hoping to get maybe 40 entries from an English county (maybe 40 miles across?) with a population of 600,000.
  15. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 01:411 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Hi Ed,

I read some pages on your site: http://www.gothicchess.com/scholarship.html

This says that there will be three preliminary online games, and only those on 3/3 will be guarenteed entry to one of the "real life" events, and that these preliminary games are essentially a knock-out, i.e. if someone loses in the first game, they needn't bother turni e 40 entries from an English county (maybe 40 miles across?) with a population of 600,000.
    College costs are out of control in this country. $50,000 to $90,000 per year, times 4 years, can cost nearly $400,000 by the time graduation roles around.

It ranks as the #1 concern among the middle class today, outpacing "retirement concerns" as the former #1 thing to worry about.

The knockout format is a money saver for the participants. If you don't go 3-0, you don't have to travel and spend $500 on a hotel. The biggest disappointment in a big tournament is starting out 0-for-X. For $100, you cut yor losses, with no expensive overnight stays.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree