Fischer v Karpov

Fischer v Karpov

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
03 Nov 06
3 edits

Originally posted by tmetzler
I asked this a couple pages back and Ed replied with a handful of webarchive links to the gothic chess website. I looked at them, and didnt see any links to 3rd party news articles....

So somehow these tournaments with lots of money and lots of players have somehow managed to take place without the independent journalists noticing or caring. 🙁

I agr so many active players, dates with supermodels and large sums of prize money, you can keep it.
Bucks County Herald
September 8, 2005

Full page article on just Gothic Chess tournaments, including number of players, number of Gothic Chess sold (and verified by reporter), etc.

P.S. How much press did the World Open get in Philadelphia this past year?

Answer: 0.

I asked "Fat Lady" to tell me what research he did. The fact of the matter is, he didn't do any. He didn't call anybody, he didn't speak to anybody.

He just slandered my name, impugned the investors, and lied.

That's right. He lied.

And I am sick of it.

I didn't start this thread, I was informed about it by one of the investors who happened to enter some search terms into google. And I didn't threaten a lawsuit, my investor asked me to ask him to stop, or else all of the "proof" he wants will be furnished in a court, and then once they calculate the financial losses we incur as a result of his libelous postings, he'll be working the rest of his life to dig himself out of the hole.

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by EdTrice

Answer: at least 1
Didn't take me but a second to find this....granted it, ain't the NY Times, but it is an independent journalist. I shall have to look for the Bucks County article.

http://www.tauntongazette.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17301644&BRD=1711&PAG=461&dept_id=24232&rfi=6

E

Moves
03 Nov 06

I am looking for a Philadelphia newspaper reporting on the event live while it was taking place. I see no pictures of "live players" with any form of headcount that other people have asked for.

So, I guess nobody played at the World Open this year, except that one person mentioned in the article, but there was no picture of him, so he must not exist.

At least, that's what FatLady would say.

Moves
03 Nov 06
3 edits

Bucks County Herald
September 8, 2005

Full page article on just Gothic Chess tournaments, including number of players, number of Gothic Chess sold (and verified by reporter), etc.

I asked "Fat Lady" to tell me what research he did. The fact of the matter is, he elous postings, he'll be working the rest of his life to dig himself out of the hole.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/08/08/sports/08chess.2_650x546.jpg

That wasnt hard at all..........this is how you prove that you had a large turn out.

Edit......Yes I know you will ignore this....🙂

Moves
03 Nov 06
1 edit

More different people playing in the open

http://www.chessbase.com/news/2006/worldopen04.jpg

Im sure with a little more time I could turn up a lot more photos of the 34th world open 😛

FL

Moves
03 Nov 06

Could "FatLady" on here be "Sebastian" from GothicChessLive.com?

http://www.gothicchesslive.com/one-players-games.php?id=696

If so, looks like he just got whipped twice by Cartaphilus.

[b]
[cartaphilus]Where are you from?
[sebastian]oxford UK and you

http://www.gothicchesslive.com/javascript/game.php?gameid=1922
sebastian - Car ...[text shortened]... h2 Cxf4 15.Ad4 Cxd4 16.Qxd4 Qxd4 17.Cf3 Qj4+ 18.Ki1 g6 19.d6 Be5+ 20.Cxe5 Qf4+ white resigns[/b]
Nope, not me. Sebastian seems to be doing ok considering that Cartaphilus is the number two human in your ratings list (although "GothicInventor" isn't there).

I need to mull over the threats in this thread and also some more serious ones that Ed has e-mailed me before deciding what to do next.

w
Steve B.

Salt Lake City

Moves
03 Nov 06

The pictures we have have been cropped primarily for the magazine articles. At one point we had to stop showing pictures on the internet because parents did not want pictures of their high school aged children placed online, as "being online" had taken on a negative connotation in subsequent years.

We have motion picture videdo from almost every tournament, including complete walk-arounds of the entire playing halls while games are in progress.
Throw some video on YouTube and link to it.

No pictures of a smiling winner and his/her parents being handed a big check by Ed Trice? No mention of the name of this lucky youngster anywhere?

There are sites everywhere with kids pics, including the USCF. Heck, check this one out http://www.schoolchess.org/. Kids right there, on the front page. Certainly you would only remove the pictures of someone who complained, not EVERY single picture.

E

Moves
04 Nov 06

Originally posted by wargamer66
Throw some video on YouTube and link to it.

No pictures of a smiling winner and his/her parents being handed a big check by Ed Trice? No mention of the name of this lucky youngster anywhere?

There are sites everywhere with kids pics, including the USCF. Heck, check this one out http://www.schoolchess.org/. Kids right there, on the front page. ...[text shortened]... ertainly you would only remove the pictures of someone who complained, not EVERY single picture.
We received a strongly worded letter by one very concerned parent in 2003 that had already suffered from one of their four children having been kidnapped years before. The result of this letter, and the subsequent dialogs, lead to a policy change regarding images that appear on our website.

The last time I checked, you were not on our Executive Board, nor are you an investor, nor do I report to you in any way, so do yourself a favor, don't waste time producing requests that I will never even consider executing.

w
Steve B.

Salt Lake City

Moves
04 Nov 06

Ed, I think Gothic chess is cool, overall. Here is some advice, and since its unsolicited, feel free to disregard it, which im sure you will anyway.

HOW TO MARKET YOUR GAME ON INTERNET SITES

-No, I don't have a marketing degree. However, I have seen people shill their games on many different websites, but mostly on Boardgamegeek. Some have been trainwrecks, some have done so successfully. Boardgamegeek has a guy who invented CardChess, and his name is now associated with the trainwreck kind of PR.

In fact here is a tongue in cheek thread regarding shilling:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/132846 This thread is so highly recommended because the mistakes EdTrice is making have been made by many people in the past.

There is a pattern that follows thusly:
1. Shiller shows up extolling virtues of game.
2. Some people are critical. Some people are interested.
3. Shiller gets into flamewars with critical people.
4. Flamewar escalates to threats by shiller, and certainly includes private harrassing emails, and in this case, legal threats.
5. Shiller's reputation is crapola, and he serves as a lesson for others.

Check for threads on Boardgamegeek including the word "CardChess" or read this thread for concrete examples.

How do you avoid this kind of trainwreck?

1. Respect the site you are shilling on. That means have a presence before you start shilling your game. A paid account helps.
2. Be positive. There will always be people who will dislike your game no matter what. Getting into pissing matches with them is bad.
3. Back up claims. If your game makes you smarter, wiser or will get girls to like you, you must have some sort of evidence. People reading your posts will ALWAYS google your product and check your website. If your claims are not immediately verifiable, you are dead meat. It is your job as a game seller to convince us that your claims are factual.
4. Never email people personally unless they invite it. They tend to reproduce what you wrote for everyone to read.

Here is how people who are successful do it on BGG: They contact the site admins and get permission to hold a contest of some sort. It usually involves answering some trivia by going to their product website. People who jump through these hoops are then entered into a random drawing and a couple of games are given away. Wow, great marketing, no pissing contests.

-----------

EdTrice, your game is pretty good and can stand on its own merits so im not sure why you choose to do this.

Rule #3 about verifiable claims is a killer. The reception you are getting on RHP is nothing compared to what you would face on boardgamegeek. This is kids stuff.

Fat Lady is just saying what lots of people are secretly thinking, AND IT IS YOUR FAULT. So, you might be bristly about my suggestion about YouTube, but it is really a way out.

E

Moves
04 Nov 06

I'm very busy right now planning another trip to Iceland with Susan Polgar, her manager Paul Truong, and we are trying to get Pal Benko and/or Eugene Torre to attend at the same time. I spoke with Lothar Schmid on the phone yesterday. He said even Fridrik Olafsson is having a tough time reaching Bobby Fischer at this exact moment.

Responding to every thread on every discussion board is an impossible task with no positive gain. I have answered every negative troll's post.

Look back a few posts to my 13 numbered items. Only 1 person replied to them, and he was not being sincere.

I backed up my claims. I can't help it if they look at the evidence and still deny it.

w
Steve B.

Salt Lake City

Moves
04 Nov 06

Well, unlike most people who get into flamewars over their game I think yours is pretty good Ed. I love chess variants, including Nightmare Chess and will probably give yours a go.

Moves
05 Dec 06

Bump, anyone heard anything about Fischer vs Karpov?.....I havent 😛

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
06 Dec 06

Haha, EdTrice hasn't been around in awhile...and neither has the OP either.

Man, I can't believe some of you guys kept this going so long. It's obvious that EdTrice is a pathological liar. He probably actually believes himself.

FL

Moves
06 Dec 06
2 edits

Well Mr Trice seems to at least partially convinced a number of people, including Susan Polgar, Dan Heisman and Frank Camaratta (owner of House of Staunton). For this reason I spent the best part of ten days gathering evidence of whether Gothic Chess tournaments have taken place, and if so their format (online or real life) and the number of participants. I will present this if and when necessary and have taken the precaution of checking it all carefully with a New York lawyer first (guess what? If it's the truth you can't be sued!)

To be honest it seems that the chess world simply doesn't care about this Karpov vs Fischer Gothic Chess match. Try googling it and look for any discussions in blogs, message boards or whatever. There really is very little interest. It isn't even being discussed on the message board at www.gothicchess.com.

I hope this all means that the vast majority of chess players read the press release about the Karpov vs Fishcer match, decided it wasn't going to happen and moved on quickly to something else.

S

Moves
06 Dec 06

To me, I interpret that as popularity = sales = money.

We sold 53,000 sets since December 2000.
We do about $85,000/year in software sales, which is not that great.
Our high-volume drop ship orders do about $200,000/year.

But the money from doing the annual scholarship event brings in over a quarter million in profit.

Since the entire US Chess Fed ...[text shortened]... is run on about a $7,000,000/year budget, how popular do we really have to become in your mind?
income statement?
balance sheet?
sales report? (by item)

any of these. most companies produce these for their stockholders once a year. While im pretty sure that gothic chess isn't a publicly traded company, surely these documents would be easily accessible through your accounting department.

I'm thinking of starting my own business and to see these documents would be quite educational. also, your original business plan would be great to look at aswell. (if you needed a loan to start up that is)