Why is this forum dying?

Why is this forum dying?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
28 Jun 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Originally posted by HandyAndy
"Spirituality threads live longer for one obvious reason: Endless wrangling.

Posters disgorge the same feeble arguments over and over and over and..."

Originally posted by divegeester
^ "Whereas word association games are the epitomey of intellectual discourse?"

^ "4th Rule: Disagree ...[text shortened]... being a jerk...." (gb)

Your replying to Andy; I'm reminding you of The 4th Rule. (gb)
No, I have to disagree. What you are being is "grampy bobby"' the poster who likes to wrap snide remarks within innuendo and hyperbole.

We've been here before, lets not go there again eh.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
28 Jun 13

15th Rule: Avoid Trash Talk.
Okay I will

lololololololol 😛

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Indonesia Phil

I don't understand the question (in the context); people start threads because 'there are a lot more things to talk about'. Threads don't (in my ever so humble opinion) need to ramble on for ages to be good. If people want to say something, let them say it, I say; 'tis the nature of the beast, and long may it roam the forests of our leisure time.
"I don't understand the question (in the context)" ["dying": 2013 in comparison with the number of site members and volume of posts from 2007 to December, 2012; there's been an accelerating decline during the past year.];

"people start threads because 'there are a lot more things to talk about'." [there have always been interesting topics (people, events, ideas, etc.) of general interest in the news in many corners of the world each day; conversation in the past was lively and sustained as compared such a high percentage 1-2 day only dismissive posts today.]

"Threads don't (in my ever so humble opinion) need to ramble on for ages to be good. If people want to say something, let them say it, I say; 'tis the nature of the beast, and long may it roam the forests of our leisure time." (Indonesia Phil) [We agree; fact of the matter is that there's only so much discretionary time each day. If an increasing number of available posts become entries in word games, it's little wonder that the 70% rate of early attrition isn't even higher today.]

Thanks, Phil, for your thoughtful reply. Bob

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Jun 13

Originally posted by Ponderable
thos eare not dead...

the dead ones are before April 27th...
Ponderable, threads identified in my initial post were, in effect, either defective specimens or circumstantially boycotted for whatever the reason. Result: after a dozen or fewer hits they were no longer viable vehicles of conversation and DOA. Bob

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Jun 13

Originally posted by divegeester
No, I have to disagree. What you are being is "grampy bobby"' the poster who likes to wrap snide remarks within innuendo and hyperbole.

We've been here before, lets not go there again eh.
... respect your right to hold and express an opinion (whether it's on topic or even relevant to the topic of conversation).

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Jun 13

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
Okay I will

lololololololol 😛
"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." (Oscar Wilde) Ha,

Moves
29 Jun 13

Why is this forum dying?
15 too many rules?

Australia

Moves
29 Jun 13

facebook of course. It's killed most of the forums out there.

IP

Moves
29 Jun 13

"I don't understand the question (in the context)" ["dying": 2013 in comparison with the number of site members and volume of posts from 2007 to December, 2012; there's been an accelerating decline during the past year.];

"people start threads because 'there are a lot more things to talk about'." [there have always been interesting topics (people, ev ...[text shortened]... ition isn't even higher today.]

Thanks, Phil, for your thoughtful reply. Bob
Dear Mr Bob; That wasn't actually the question that I didn't understand, it was the one about '...why start threads in this forum.' And I wasn't making comparison with other, historical times, merely with the spiritual forum thingy. Anyway it's no bid deal and I'm sure you raise a salient point. I still think the general forum is ripping good fun, and it brings me back into the big world when I'm playing particularly bad chess, which is most of the time. So, if I may send out a general (and thus appropriate) greeting to all of the people who post here, selamat pagi. (as we say in Indonesia, which roughly translates as; have a nice day.)

IP

Moves
29 Jun 13

Sorry, that should have been 'big' deal. (as opposed to bid deal, which makes no sense whatsoever).

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Indonesia Phil
Dear Mr Bob; That wasn't actually the question that I didn't understand, it was the one about '...why start threads in this forum.' And I wasn't making comparison with other, historical times, merely with the spiritual forum thingy. Anyway it's no bid deal and I'm sure you raise a salient point. I still think the general forum is ripping good fun, and e, selamat pagi. (as we say in Indonesia, which roughly translates as; have a nice day.)
"...why start threads in this forum." | Phil, my social error in overlooking the obvious. Simple question, simple answer: to "start threads in this forum", with a few wonderful exceptions, has become an exercise in futility in recent months, as the "70% stat" attests. [The misspelling could have been correct by utilizing the "Edit" Feature. The access button's located at the bottom right of your post's frame and remains accessible for about an hour]. Thank for your patience. Bob

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Jun 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Kewpie

facebook of course. It's killed most of the forums out there.
Kewpie, you may have nailed the disruptive culprit (or a significant component), by reason of applying my own applied logic: 'there's only so much discretionary time available for this site's members to contribute to its forums'. By extension, there's only so much ink in an RHP General Forum/FB Poster's Laptop Mouse (no pun intended with your "Angry Bird" lol). Still, why the glaring disparity previously illustrated? Thanks for an important and valuable insight. -Bob

"During its past seven pages, May 3 to June 27, 2013, the Spirituality Forum has seen a modest 25% (53/210) of its threads die with a dozen or fewer posts: > Spirituality Forum: 53/210 = 25% <------> General Forum: 90/210 = 43% = 70% Greater Volume of General Forum Thread casualties (90/53). Does this contrast illustrate the difference between Life & Death? (gb)"

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Jun 13

Originally posted by JS357

15 too many rules?
JS thanks for reminding us that a sense of humor lubricates conversation. Maybe there's a special WD-2013 for WAG. lol

Moves
29 Jun 13
1 edit

Kewpie, you may have nailed the disruptive culprit (or a significant component), by reason of applying my own applied logic: 'there's only so much discretionary time available for this site's members to contribute to its forums'. By extension, there's only so much ink in an RHP General Forum/FB Poster's Laptop Mouse (no pun intended with your "Angry Bir (90/53). Does this contrast illustrate the difference between Life & Death? (gb)"[/b]
Yes but, there are regulars at the Spirituality Forum who can be relied upon in a Pavlovian sense to regurgitate the JW/anti-JW and Christian/atheist themes which keep threads alive but add no new content to previous threads on the same topics. So the GF regulars would be foolish to try to emulate the SF regulars, for thread longevity, by this means.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
29 Jun 13

What's a WAG?