1. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    21 May '22 17:40
    @fmf said
    "What kind of a woman drinks coffee?" ~ a line from the TV series "1883" about a wagon train heading north to Oregon from Texas.
    script writers are an odd lot
    philosophers of cabbages
    stirrers of the kettle
    cool arsonists
    able to dance upon the head of a pin with aplomb
    and fomenters of bumper sticker wisdom

i'm gonna go watch tv and see if the story enhances my skepticism
  2. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    21 May '22 17:54
    @fmf said
    "What kind of a woman drinks coffee?" ~ a line from the TV series "1883" about a wagon train heading north to Oregon from Texas.

It is spoken by one woman to another woman in a storyline that appears to be all set to explore conservatism and conventionality [from women's points of view] being subjected to the rigours of frontier life.

Here in Indonesia, I have seen many ch ...[text shortened]... coffee?" in the U.S.?

What nitty-gritty examples of such changes have you seen in your lifetime?
    That's odd because coffee was a pretty universal beverage during that period. Many if not most people drank it. Now alcohol, only a woman who worked in a saloon would drink. Very few women would enter one even to retrieve a drunken spouse. Women smoking in public was pretty uncommon up untill the 1920+
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 May '22 21:30
    @gambrel said
    That's odd because coffee was a pretty universal beverage during that period. Many if not most people drank it. Now alcohol, only a woman who worked in a saloon would drink. Very few women would enter one even to retrieve a drunken spouse. Women smoking in public was pretty uncommon up untill the 1920+
    30 years ago, there were things that women wouldn't do in public - smoking for example. Today equality has got us so far that I can't think of any such thing. It may look strange to us but hardly a rule.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 21:59
    @gambrel said
    I quit smoking shortly after entering college. My total smoking time was maybe three years of half a pack a day, maybe.

I do drink too much coffee.

I do drink too much alcohol.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 22:04
    @divegeester said
    Did you PM Mchil about his sexist slur, or are you going to turn a blind eye to his rank sexism seeing as he is a leftie Democratic supporter?

Hey, maybe you can get Woofpoof to give his post and anonymous thumbs down so that Mchil can feel the “consequences” of his behaviour?
    What are you on about?

I responded to him in the public forum. Isn't that what you anti-red-thumbers want?

Someone's opinion in the public forums is rarely worth a PM from me. When I DO PM someone over a public forum post, it is usually complimentary, not aggressive displeasure at their opposing opinion. I know you're into that, but I'm not. Sorry.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 22:07
    @great-big-stees said
    Have they renamed them “bachelorette’s” degrees then?🤔
    Ummm, no. Wouldn't that automatically result in a somewhat two-tiered system whereby the patriarchy decides that a "women's degree" is less of an achievement?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 22:08
    @mchill said
    I’m looking forward to returning later and finding that Suzianne, and her loyal band of anonymous thumbers, have completely ignored Mchil’s sexist slur,

You folks need to read ALL of my OP...not just the single part you want to focus on. I'm sure styles have changed a lot over the decades, but I'm not impressed with what they are today.
    Look at him, trying to foment the exact same kind of rage that opposing opinions have on him.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 22:12
    @divegeester said
    I fully support your right to free speech Mchill
    I bet you don't support his right to red-thumb you.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 22:14
    @fmf said
    Just regular and typical posting by me.
    Please.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 22:17
    @divegeester said
    Absolute bang-on-target truth.
    Binky-throwing is all that was.
  11. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    22 May '22 03:28
    @FMF

I drink mine strong and black.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '22 05:39
    @suzianne said
    I bet you don't support his right to red-thumb you.
    Thumbs up or down are not “free speech”. You don’t seem to understand what free speech is, it includes the right to reply.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 May '22 05:49
    @divegeester said
    Thumbs up or down are not “free speech”. You don’t seem to understand what free speech is, it includes the right to reply.
    How about a system where [1] I get an anonymous red thumb and [2] the person gets a site-generated red thumb down in return? That would automate the "right to reply". Opposing the automation of the right to reply could then be framed as an abrogation of free speech.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:151 edit
    @divegeester said
    Rights aren't demands.

Just because I have a "right to reply" doesn't mean I must reply, and in no way does a thumb abrogate your right to reply, and just because you may have a right to reply, it doesn't mean I must have to listen to it.

You seem to have no idea what free speech means. Not surprising for someone ruled by a monarch.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '22 07:24
    @fmf said
    How about a system where [1] I get an anonymous red thumb and [2] the person gets a site-generated red thumb down in return? That would automate the "right to reply". Opposing the automation of the right to reply could then be framed as an abrogation of free speech.
    Funny how the two people wanting to eliminate free speech here have no idea what it means.

"The right of reply is a statutory right for a defamed person to respond to the precipitating libelous publication. It affords the defamed an opportunity to use the same amount of space or time as the original libelous article."

Red thumbs are neither defamatory nor libelous. No one has a right to an automated reply. Free speech comes with effort. You cannot transfer your free speech to another since everyone's right to free speech is their own. This assures that "robocalls" cannot be considered "free speech".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree