Moves
    01 Apr '23 08:18
    Bad & Badder
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '23 09:14
    Star wars was alright.

Especially the phantom menace, Liam Neeson was brilliant.
  3. Joined
    19 Jul '19
    Moves
    01 Apr '23 09:14
    No competition. Star Trek. In it’s true form, an exploration of humanity expressed in a positive form. Sorry Mr Lucas but it beats a few model ships on strings. Luke Skywalkers classic hero journey is probably the only thing that makes it bearable 😁
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '23 09:37
    @a-unique-nickname said
    Star wars was alright.

Especially the phantom menace, Liam Neeson was brilliant.
    That is probably the worst film in the franchise and Neeson was awful.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Apr '23 10:441 edit
    @pieceout said
    No competition. Star Trek. In it’s true form, an exploration of humanity expressed in a positive form. Sorry Mr Lucas but it beats a few model ships on strings. Luke Skywalkers classic hero journey is probably the only thing that makes it bearable 😁
    star trek with its wooden sets and even more wooden acting...almost as bad as doctor who.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '23 10:591 edit
    @badradger said
    star trek with its wooden sets and even more wooden acting...almost as bad as doctor who.
    The original series of Star Trek is a classic.

Dr Who has been circling the drain for years and the last series where the BBC turned him into a woman was an exercise in futile self-destructive wokism imo.
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 00:17
    Trek #1, Wars #2
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 01:43
    Picard series 3 is a peak of Star Trekkery.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Apr '23 22:251 edit
    Wars is for pablum children.

Trek is for adults. Though not all of the sequels were as good as the original series. The effects got better in the sequels, but several of the original series stories were unmatched. Despite a couple of really dire flops ("Spock's Brain(less" ), there was top-class writing on the original series: Theodore Sturgeon and Harlan Ellison, for example, were first-rate sci fi authors in their own right, before Trek. Although Ellison was not happy with Roddenberry's re-write of his script, Ellison's original script won the 1968 Writers Guild Award for best episodic drama in television, while the shooting script won the 1968 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation ("City On The Edge Of Forever" was the episode).

I would also point out that Trek often pushed the envelope by addressing social and political issues which were too hot too handle in any other tv-format. (Until SouthPark, that is.)

What's Star Wars got to offer? "I'm your father, Luke." Oh, please, what a trashy denoument. Lucas's best effort by far was THX 1138, made when he was in college. It was all downhill after that.

My two cents.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Apr '23 07:58
    My favorite thing about Star Trek is the concept that money is worthless, and people basically are paid in respect and influence, based on what they have done and not who they are.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '23 10:041 edit
    @suzianne said
    My favorite thing about Star Trek is the concept that money is worthless, and people basically are paid in respect and influence, based on what they have done and not who they are.
    I’ve never been convinced of this construct across the franchise, but I know what you mean and agree with the principle.

It seems to me that the most valuable “currency” in Star Trek are dilithium crystals which no one ever seems to have spares of for when the aliens have fired some sort of crystal destabilising plasma at the enterprise and she’s limping along on impulse power, or worse thrusters, while scotty is up that tube making sparks with the thingamajig and Spock has his head in the hole under his workstation trying to bypass engineering to the bridge where there is no life support systems working.
  12. Joined
    19 Jul '19
    Moves
    04 Apr '23 11:26
    I think it was Deanna Troy in Next Generation who stated that instead of money the new currency is reputation
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '23 12:36
    @divegeester said
    I’ve never been convinced of this construct across the franchise, but I know what you mean and agree with the principle.

It seems to me that the most valuable “currency” in Star Trek are dilithium crystals which no one ever seems to have spares of for when the aliens have fired some sort of crystal destabilising plasma at the enterprise and she’s limping along on impu ...[text shortened]... rkstation trying to bypass engineering to the bridge where there is no life support systems working.
    nailed it same tripe week in week out.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Apr '23 13:294 edits
    The two shows are not comparable. One was an adventure show that focused on exploration the other war is a war epic.

If they didn't both have "Star" in their names no one would debate over them.

That said, the Trek movies are much more closely related in themes to Wars from what I can tell (never saw the movies, only the series). But they still seem to be about a singular villain rather than warring factions like Star Wars...a franchise I haven't seen at all.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '23 13:43
    @vivify said
    The two shows are not comparable. One was an adventure show that focused on exploration the other war is a war epic.

If they didn't both have "Star" in their names no one would debate over them.

That said, the Trek movies are much more closely related in themes to Wars from what I can tell (never saw the movies, only the series). But they still seem to be about a singular villain rather than warring factions like Star Wars...a franchise I haven't seen at all.
    you didnt miss much

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree