Bad & Badder
    You forgot Baddest! 🙂

-VR
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Apr '23 16:02
    @divegeester said
    That is probably the worst film in the franchise and Neeson was awful.
    Neeson later said he didn’t like it either, having even his eye movements digitally ‘corrected’.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Apr '23 16:05
    @divegeester said
    I’ve never been convinced of this construct across the franchise, but I know what you mean and agree with the principle.

It seems to me that the most valuable “currency” in Star Trek are dilithium crystals which no one ever seems to have spares of for when the aliens have fired some sort of crystal destabilising plasma at the enterprise and she’s limping along on impu ...[text shortened]... rkstation trying to bypass engineering to the bridge where there is no life support systems working.
    Yes, there were cliché moments in the original series, which even dyed in the wool trekkies mock. “He’s dead, Jim,” etc. and there were too many fistfights. And the sets wobbled when people bumped into them. But you have to take into account that they were working on a tight schedule with a budget which wouldn’t buy a 15-second commercial today.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '23 18:321 edit
    @moonbus said
    Yes, there were cliché moments in the original series, which even dyed in the wool trekkies mock. “He’s dead, Jim,” etc. and there were too many fistfights. And the sets wobbled when people bumped into them. But you have to take into account that they were working on a tight schedule with a budget which wouldn’t buy a 15-second commercial today.
    Actually I understood that the original series had one of the highest budgets for a TV series of its time which was the main reason the budget was severely cut in S3 and the program terminated thereafter.

In terms of cliches we have to remember that it was made from 1966-68 and was a product of its time in some ways, was also way ahead of its time in others.

I agree with you about the fist fights which today look somewhat ridiculous and over-staged, with Kirk losing his shirt waaaay to often; a meme played out comically in the wonderful spoof “Galaxy Quest”.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Apr '23 19:06
    @divegeester said
    Actually I understood that the original series had one of the highest budgets for a TV series of its time which was the main reason the budget was severely cut in S3 and the program terminated thereafter.

In terms of cliches we have to remember that it was made from 1966-68 and was a product of its time in some ways, was also way ahead of its time in others.

I agr ...[text shortened]... losing his shirt waaaay to often; a meme played out comically in the wonderful spoof “Galaxy Quest”.
    Oh yes, GQ is a ripping good parody. One of my favorites. And yes, Shatner was a ham much of the time, but his character was supposed to be that way. It’s part of what made the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trinity work, man of action, man of reason, and man of compassion. None of the sequels matched that chemistry.

That said, I sort of hankered after a personal Counselor Toy myself. 😆
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 02:46
    @divegeester said
    I’ve never been convinced of this construct across the franchise, but I know what you mean and agree with the principle.

It seems to me that the most valuable “currency” in Star Trek are dilithium crystals which no one ever seems to have spares of for when the aliens have fired some sort of crystal destabilising plasma at the enterprise and she’s limping along on impu ...[text shortened]... rkstation trying to bypass engineering to the bridge where there is no life support systems working.
    Star Trek certainly has some oddities, like:

1) No seat belts on the bridge.

2) No spare dilithium crystals (as you point out). It's not like they take up a lot of room.

3) No emergency spacesuits on hand anywhere in the cargo bays, bridge, or even shuttlecraft? You're surrounded by vacuum!

4) Transporter technology requires facility with manipulating matter at the subatomic level, yet there are diseases caused by viruses (planet-sized compared to atomic nuclei) that still cannot be cured.

5) Was there ever a night shift on the original series Enterprise, or did Klingons, Romulans, and giant hands in space wait until after the Captain had breakfasted out of courtesy?
  8. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 02:53
    @soothfast said

2) No spare dilithium crystals (as you point out). It's not like they take up a lot of room.

3) No emergency spacesuits on hand anywhere in the cargo bays, bridge, or even shuttlecraft? You're surrounded by vacuum!

4) Transporter technology requires facility with manipulating matt ...[text shortened]... ns, Romulans, and giant hands in space wait until after the Captain had breakfasted out of courtesy?
    Do you know if there’s a way to turn all those tiny saved pieces of soap to small to use back into one bar again?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 03:36
    @soothfast said

4) Transporter technology requires facility with manipulating matt ...[text shortened]... ns, Romulans, and giant hands in space wait until after the Captain had breakfasted out of courtesy?
    6) After having sexual intercourse with female visitors to his ship, Captain Kirk only had to put his boots back on.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 05:51
    Dr McCoy: “I heard to had sex with a Brazilian woman Jim?”

Kirk: “possibly, how many is a brazilion?”
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 06:48
    @moonbus said
    It was like a poor version of Acorn antiques
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 06:51
    @divegeester said

I agr ...[text shortened]... losing his shirt waaaay to often; a meme played out comically in the wonderful spoof “Galaxy Quest”.
    Galaxy Quest brill piss take
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 08:131 edit
    @soothfast said

6) There is only one toilet on board. (One found this out by taking the tour).

7) Travelling at warp 10, pursuing a vessel travelling at warp 11, the sensors can still send out and receive signals from the alien ship at very-much-faster-than-light speed, and sensors don't travel in a sub-space-warp-bubble. A whole lot of the tech is impossible, but then again, Apple engineers were all trekkies and actually brought some of the Trek-tech to market (iPads, to name one).

8) Kirk violates the Prime-Time Directive every second episode by interfering in some planet's evolution.

14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 09:15
    @very-rusty said
    You forgot Baddest! 🙂

-VR
    Mork & Mindy
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Apr '23 14:36
    @very-rusty said
    You forgot Baddest! 🙂

-VR
    or bestest
    Red Dwarf

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree