RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
24 Jul 19

@torunn said
I want the next Prose Competition to start... now! ๐Ÿ™‚
Don’t overdo it. Ideas come when they want, not when the author wants.

Gothenburg

Moves
24 Jul 19

@moonbus said
I couldn't write a story, I admire those of you who can.

Moves
24 Jul 19

@moonbus said
So very true.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
24 Jul 19

Lets face the truth of the FACT that not everyone can write a good story.

In fact I believe more people can't write a good story and than those who can.

I am impressed that we have so many good writers here on this Site.

-VR

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
24 Jul 19

@moonbus said
I knew Stray Cat was a good story when I finished it. It has all the elements of a good horror plot: foreboding (nanny suspects something is wrong but is out of her depth to prevent the evil), innocence seduced and corrupted by evil in a pleasing disguise, a creepy twist at the end. Somewhat in the tradition of Algernon Blackwood, I think.

I was much less sure of The Last ...[text shortened]... ying mind, is left unclear, and deliberately so.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to read.
I liked the ‘Last Metro’ a lot, very immersive and atmospheric both of which are hard to achieve in 800 words. It would make a very good 10 - 15 minute video if you ever develop that skill set.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
24 Jul 19
1 edit

@kevcvs57 said
I liked the ‘Last Metro’ a lot, very immersive and atmospheric both of which are hard to achieve in 800 words. It would make a very good 10 - 15 minute video if you ever develop that skill set.
Yes, i could envision The Last Metro as the basis of a film - short, something like Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge.

The final scene would be reality check, the objective camera pans back from the body of the fallen person in the subway to reveal medics, defibrillator being removed from the person’s chest, body covered up by a sheet, aghast looks on faces of by-standers. Fade to black.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
24 Jul 19
1 edit

@very-rusty said
Lets face the truth of the FACT that not everyone can write a good story.

In fact I believe more people can't write a good story and than those who can.

I am impressed that we have so many good writers here on this Site.

-VR
Agreed. Just as not everyone can tell a joke. Even reading a script of a good joke isn’t quite enough. For a joke to work, the teller needs vocal skills to build expectation and burst the tension at the right moment. Without timing and intonation, even a good joke can be told wrong.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
24 Jul 19

@patzering said
Stray cat was written the best I feel and so do a lot of others. I hope moonbus is a chick ๐Ÿค—

I instantly knew "Are you in there?" Was Ghost of a Duke and I thought it would win easily.
The plot was genius.

I also think the top 5 vote totals could have been shown and that would have been fine.
No reason to let everyone know that some stories didn't do well.
We can do that next year.

I myself wrote "You remember?" which got no votes, which was no wonder seeing the stories that went well.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Jul 19

@ponderable said
We can do that next year.

I myself wrote "You remember?" which got no votes, which was no wonder seeing the stories that went well.
Was a noble effort sir.

What happened to Big Stees this year?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Jul 19

@moonbus said
I knew Stray Cat was a good story when I finished it. It has all the elements of a good horror plot: foreboding (nanny suspects something is wrong but is out of her depth to prevent the evil), innocence seduced and corrupted by evil in a pleasing disguise, a creepy twist at the end. Somewhat in the tradition of Algernon Blackwood, I think.

I was much less sure of The Last ...[text shortened]... ying mind, is left unclear, and deliberately so.

Lots of good entries, but as already highlighted, I think Stray Cat was the best-written out of all the submissions (including my own). The reason I voted it 3rd rather than 1st was that I think it suffered by the word count restriction. A little more 'flesh on the bones' would have lifted it to another level. It was the kind of story that I think needed 'stretching out' to really push the sinister buttons. (Very difficult within 800 words).

Curious sir what your views are on the other stories entered?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
24 Jul 19

@moonbus said
Yes, i could envision The Last Metro as the basis of a film - short, something like Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge.

The final scene would be reality check, the objective camera pans back from the body of the fallen person in the subway to reveal medics, defibrillator being removed from the person’s chest, body covered up by a sheet, aghast looks on faces of by-standers. Fade to black.
I shall keep my peepers peeled to channel 4 for that one moonbus.

A

RSA

Moves
24 Jul 19

@moonbus said

The Last Metro reminded me of the train scene from one of my favourite Japanese language movies, ๅƒใจๅƒๅฐ‹ใฎ็ฅž้š ใ—.

I believe the English title is "Spirited Away".

Here is the soundtrack from the scene:

A

RSA

Moves
24 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
First, well done to Ponderable for a well run competition (as usual) and everyone who contributed and voted.

Congratulations to the author of 'Stray Cat' a splendidly well written piece. (And a front runner from the word go).

This year, in light of the high quality of entries, I am perfectly content with taking second place with my entry 'Vincent.' ๐Ÿ™‚

(I a ...[text shortened]... here?' which got more votes than I expected).

Look forward to discussing all the entries shortly.
Your tongue-in-cheek story was quite amusing!

I liked what you did with "Dusty" and "Phantom of a Marquis" (with the Scottish spelling, too!)

I enjoyed the satirical portmanteau of two of the forum's most notorious posters (if I interpreted it correctly).

Vincent was very well-written, and I wanted to write it as an honourable mention. I didn't make my top 3 because horror as a genre isn't my favourite (and "Vincent" was more horrifying than many others), not because it wasn't a fine piece of writing.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jul 19

@ashiitaka said
Your tongue-in-cheek story was quite amusing!

I liked what you did with "Dusty" and "Phantom of a Marquis" (with the Scottish spelling, too!)

I enjoyed the satirical portmanteau of two of the forum's most notorious posters (if I interpreted it correctly).

Vincent was very well-written, and I wanted to write it as an honourable mention. I didn't make my top 3 beca ...[text shortened]... (and "Vincent" was more horrifying than many others), not because it wasn't a fine piece of writing.
Much appreciated sir. Your interpretation was correct. (I'm still unclear if Rusty recognized the link).

Vincent was fun to write, but horror really isn't my genre. - My wife patiently read both stories and kindly informed me that neither was scary. ๐Ÿ˜†

Gothenburg

Moves
25 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Much appreciated sir. Your interpretation was correct. (I'm still unclear if Rusty recognized the link).

Vincent was fun to write, but horror really isn't my genre. - My wife patiently read both stories and kindly informed me that neither was scary. ๐Ÿ˜†
My daughters love really scary books/movies, I like some a bit less scary and most of my friends would never ever try them. 'Let The Right One In' by John Ajvide Lindqvist is both horror and love.