RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Much appreciated sir. Your interpretation was correct. (I'm still unclear if Rusty recognized the link).

Vincent was fun to write, but horror really isn't my genre. - My wife patiently read both stories and kindly informed me that neither was scary. πŸ˜†
I don't see where you should be concerned if Rusty recognized the link with the Vincent story. I think the fact that he voted for it knowing it was yours was a small victory. In fact he voted for your other story as well knowing it was yours, proves no malice towards you is held by him.

-VR

Über-Nerd

Moves
25 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Lots of good entries, but as already highlighted, I think Stray Cat was the best-written out of all the submissions (including my own). The reason I voted it 3rd rather than 1st was that I think it suffered by the word count restriction. A little more 'flesh on the bones' would have lifted it to another level. It was the kind of story that I think needed 'stretching o ...[text shortened]... (Very difficult within 800 words).

Curious sir what your views are on the other stories entered?
Stray Cat was cramped by the 800 word limit and would indeed benefit from more detail. given the very positive response to the story in its present clipped form, I think I will expand it.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jul 19

@moonbus said
Stray Cat was cramped by the 800 word limit and would indeed benefit from more detail. given the very positive response to the story in its present clipped form, I think I will expand it.
I think that is a great idea!!!

-VR

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
25 Jul 19

one comment on the 800 word Limit.

We can have 10000 characters in one post. That is we Need to restrict length if we do the contest here. We could also give a 9900 character Limit, if that would be what everyone wants.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jul 19
1 edit

@ponderable said
one comment on the 800 word Limit.

We can have 10000 characters in one post. That is we Need to restrict length if we do the contest here. We could also give a 9900 character Limit, if that would be what everyone wants.
The story could also be made longer by breaking it in two parts or three parts, what ever was needed to make up the amount of words as you can only get so many characters in one posting....This would of course make a lot more work for the person who was in charge of the Prose Competition.

-VR

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
25 Jul 19

@Very-Rusty

If you consider that only 17 persons voted, the Question will also be: Will the People read the longer stories?

For some stories I could imagine the possibility to be published (though I am not an Editor of short Story anthologies myself). Woud longer stories have the Problem of the "free" availabiliyt via the net if authors would try to sell them?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
I don't see where you should be concerned if Rusty recognized the link with the Vincent story. I think the fact that he voted for it knowing it was yours was a small victory. In fact he voted for your other story as well knowing it was yours, proves no malice towards you is held by him.

-VR
Not the Vincent story sir. We were talking about the 'Are you in there' story where we were both parodied.

Did you spot that? (Admittedly I turned you into a woman with hairy legs).

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jul 19

@ponderable said
@Very-Rusty

If you consider that only 17 persons voted, the Question will also be: Will the People read the longer stories?

For some stories I could imagine the possibility to be published (though I am not an Editor of short Story anthologies myself). Woud longer stories have the Problem of the "free" availabiliyt via the net if authors would try to sell them?
Good Points made Ponderable, all we could do is make assumptions on the answers of course. I was thinking more along the lines of work for the guy looking after the competition. I agree a few of the Stories could possibly be published, and the problem of them already being on a site. Maybe that was 'why' the 800 words was decided in the first place. Personally I would read the longer stories, and I am assuming the others who read them would also. This was my very first year actually voting. πŸ˜‰

-VR

Über-Nerd

Moves
25 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Curious sir what your views are on the other stories entered?
My 2 cents worth:

Are You In There: This is quite an amusing idea and the parallel to RHP forum behavior, twisted into a sort of Jack Nicholson ‘insane lurking hunter’ motif, was very clever. Nothing especially supernatural about it, but a pleasingly gruesome punchline.

Here Be Unicorns: This is a fine concept for a fantasy-horror comic series with Frank Frazetta-ish sort of imagery. 800 words don’t do it justice.

The Crayon: Excellent story, excellent idea. This would have made a very good episode of the original Twilight Zone tv show, and ranked among my favorites this year. For those not familiar with the name, Adolf Diekmann was a Nazi SS stormtrooper responsible for a massacre in a French village. https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Diekmann

Transcendence: Interesting idea, cramped by the 800-word limit. This story really needed to be told in a different format, not described, but, as another poster said about my own Last Metro story, “immersed and atmospherically”: Nathaniel when he is Nathaniel speaking in his own voice, and then Nathaniel when he is in someone else’s head , set off by italics for example, at first himself confused and then later exalted, so that it only gradually dawns on the reader what has happened. Hardly possible in 800 words.

You Remember: How interesting that two authors should have written first person present tense narratives of the consciousness of dying. I have it on good authority* that dying is a process, not an event, which can take anywhere from several minutes to several weeks to complete.

* My wife is a neuro-radiologist; she looks at brain scans of severely injured people and is part of the committee which decides whether a person is brain dead. When deprived of oxygen, the brain does not stop working all at once, but in stages. This strongly indicates there is very likely at least some residual cognitive function going on after the heart stops. This story and The Last Metro explored this.

Young Man With Roses: Excellent idea for a story, but for two small, really annoying, details. 1. Rather than a voice, something in the painting itself should change (e.g., the boy’s face shows signs torment when the real boy is kidnapped, and then of gratitude and relief when the case is solved). 2. Oscar Wilde did that already in “The Picture of Dorian Gray.” Too bad about that. Get yourself a time machine and publish first!

Vincent: Really clever idea to ‘explain’ phantom pain; well-suited to the 800-word contest format.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jul 19

@moonbus said
My 2 cents worth:

Are You In There: This is quite an amusing idea and the parallel to RHP forum behavior, twisted into a sort of Jack Nicholson ‘insane lurking hunter’ motif, was very clever. Nothing especially supernatural about it, but a pleasingly gruesome punchline.

Here Be Unicorns: This is a fine concept for a fantasy-horror comic series with Frank Frazetta-ish so ...[text shortened]...
Vincent: Really clever idea to ‘explain’ phantom pain; well-suited to the 800-word contest format.
I agree (as does Paul himself I believe) that his 2 stories would have fared much better if the word count had been double what it was. Although the challenge is always to think of an original and clever idea and write it well, I find the greater challenge is to squeeze it in successfully to such a small word count.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I agree (as does Paul himself I believe) that his 2 stories would have fared much better if the word count had been double what it was. Although the challenge is always to think of an original and clever idea and write it well, I find the greater challenge is to squeeze it in successfully to such a small word count.
You have managed very well the past 4 years goad! πŸ˜‰

-VR

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
You have managed very well the past 4 years goad! πŸ˜‰

-VR
Always a struggle. Even this year, my Vincent story used every one of the 800 words available.

801 (including the 1-word title, which isn't counted).

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
25 Jul 19

I like the 800 word limit it compels you edit and word count and it’s part of the challenge. I’m sure it could be useful to add another sentence or two but there is also the risk of rambling.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jul 19

@kevcvs57 said
I like the 800 word limit it compels you edit and word count and it’s part of the challenge. I’m sure it could be useful to add another sentence or two but there is also the risk of rambling.
I think also, anything longer than 800 words would be quite an ordeal for our readers.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
25 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I think also, anything longer than 800 words would be quite an ordeal for our readers.
Maybe not for your readers so much but certainly mine πŸ™