RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
23 Jul 19

Likewise well done to all who submitted an entry and / or voted.
Congrats to the top three and special congrats to the author of ‘stray cat’ for a clear win.
I’ll hold my hands up to submitting ‘Ghost Dog’ a process I enjoyed very much, and thanx to anyone who gave it a point.
As always extra special thanx to Ponderable for doing all that hard work again.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
This year, in light of the high quality of entries, I am perfectly content with taking second place with my entry 'Vincent.' πŸ™‚

(I also wrote the more tongue in cheek 'Are you in there?' which got more votes than I expected).
"Are you in there" was amusing enough to get votes, I thought
it was probably yours! And Vincent I liked very much. The
overall standard, as said before, was very high.

Moves
23 Jul 19

Congratulations!
Great writing and creativity were on full display again this year.

If it were possible, I would have voted for "Hollywood Ending" as well. The voice of Mickey Spillane came through powerfully. Well done!

Moves
23 Jul 19

@wolfgang59 said
"Are you in there" was amusing enough to get votes, I thought
it was probably yours! And Vincent I liked very much. The
overall standard, as said before, was very high.
Thanks.

Vincent was really down to Torunn and her keyword of 'phantom.' (I built the story round the idea of phantom pain).

Moves
23 Jul 19

Well done to all the entrants. We appear to have a plethora of quality writers here on RHP. A special thank you to Mr. Pondy for again taking on the task of organizing this wonderful, annual competition. Well done Manfred (if that's really your name πŸ˜‰).

PAR

The World

Moves
23 Jul 19

@ponderable said
So the results are in:

And the 2019 winner is:

"Stray Cat" 31 points

congratulations to the author

2nd "Vincent" 21 points
3rd "The Last Metro" 17 Points

4th "Hollywood Ending" 16
joint 5th "Appartement 4420" and "Are you in there?" 15
Joint 7th "The Crayon" and "Young Man with Roses" 14
9th "Ghost Dog" 9
10th "Transcendence" 3
Joint 11th "Here be U ...[text shortened]... for discussion.

Thank you everybody who contributed and everyone who read the stories and voted.
Congratulations to the winner (and I assume the writer of the 3rd place story), and to Ghost for fine entries, and to Sir Ponderable for his excellent management once again.

I must put my hand up and apologise for misunderstanding the overall concept, I had in my head it was supernatural or horror (emphasis on the 'or'πŸ˜‰, and my two entries, Transcendence (thank you for the vote Mike169) and Here Be Unicorns, were solely looking at Supernatural, with no effort towards horror. My mistake, and I will read the entry criteria more closely next time.

Transcendence was meant to be a 'performance piece' and one day may try to record it for you-tube, once I no longer have the word count restriction.

Here Be Unicorns is a much reduced version of the start of one of my novels (well currently in the ideas stage) and is likely to be between 15-20 chapters long in the final version.

And a final entry (political, sorry):

It was twilight at number 10 Downing Street, as the phantom stalked through the door, the superstitious Larry, scarpering swiftly, as his new master, Boris Johnson, reached for the nuclear codes, "Wiff waff, bing bong, tally ho!" he announced in a jolly manner, before ending the reign of Homo Sapiens.

Moves
23 Jul 19

@paul-a-roberts said
Congratulations to the winner (and I assume the writer of the 3rd place story), and to Ghost for fine entries, and to Sir Ponderable for his excellent management once again.

I must put my hand up and apologise for misunderstanding the overall concept, I had in my head it was supernatural or horror (emphasis on the 'or'πŸ˜‰, and my two entries, Transcendence (thank you ...[text shortened]... waff, bing bong, tally ho!" he announced in a jolly manner, before ending the reign of Homo Sapiens.
Hey, who hasn't misread/misunderstood something in one's life eh?

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Jul 19
2 edits

@Y’all

Author of “Stray Cat” and “The Last Metro” is myself.

Thank you to all who contributed, read and voted, and to Ponderable. Thanks also to Torunn for the keywords idea.

PAR

The World

Moves
23 Jul 19

@moonbus said
@Y’all

Author of “Stray Cat” and The Last Metro” is myself.

Thank you to all who contributed, read and voted, and to Ponderable.
Congratulations. Superb stories both!

Moves
23 Jul 19

Congrats, @moonbus!

@Ghost, thanks for the laughs with your entries!

@Ponderable, thank you for organizing this! It was nice to be inspired to write again.

Thank you to the other contributors, and thank you to all who voted.

Mine were "Apartment 4420" and "Young Man with Roses".

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Jul 19

Moves
23 Jul 19

@moonbus said
@Y’all

Author of “Stray Cat” and “The Last Metro” is myself.

Thank you to all who contributed, read and voted, and to Ponderable. Thanks also to Torunn for the keywords idea.
No surprise there old chap. Chatted with Paul a couple of days ago and I speculated you were the likely author of Stray Cat. (It made my top 3 of votes).

A worthy winner indeed Sir.

Still looking forward to hearing who wrote Hollywood Ending. (Have my suspicions).

Moves
23 Jul 19

@Very-Rusty

Thanks Rusty. The only voter I believe to vote for both my entries. Clearly, you didn't take 'Are you in there' personally.

πŸ˜†

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
@Very-Rusty

Thanks Rusty. The only voter I believe to vote for both my entries. Clearly, you didn't take 'Are you in there' personally.

πŸ˜†
Why did you put me on ignore?....Did I say something to offend you?

I'll Post it here for you since you have me on ignore for reasons unknown to me. I guess you don't have an Audience there! πŸ˜‰

Damn....I tried to remove that before you had a chance to see it....LOL....Well must have been in the cards...I rarely post a P.M. in the Public forum....I had assumed that #7 Stray Cat was a winner from the start.... My decision was to vote on the other ones. #1, #2 & #12 were my votes as you saw....I was pretty sure that 2 and 12 were yours but didn't think Stray Cat was yours, as I've said I believe I know your style of writing. I told you that wouldn't affect my Voting.....I just figured why vote for Stray Cat when it was pretty much decided from the start, and I did wait until last minute as Ponderable said to vote!!! I looked at it as voting for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place.....The writing by everyone who contributed was excellent.

-VR

Moves
23 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
Why did you put me on ignore?
'We were on a break.'

Ross Geller - Friends.