RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

RHP Prose Competition 2019 voting thread

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
27 Jul 19

@Very-Rusty

Okay, so you voted for my #2 entry. But did you actually read it?!

I genuinely struggle to believe you read a story where I represented you as a woman with hairy legs living in a bedsit and then not only voted for it but made no comment about it whatsoever.

"A little annoyed, Dusty got up to stretch her short hairy legs and placed her laptop on the brown wooden coffee table, careful to avoid the sticky patch and half eaten packet of home brand digestives. The heavy drapes had been closed hours ago, the small bedsit spared twilight by an eclectic array of small lamps dotted around on the cupboards and floor. The old record player was on its third spin of Ricky Martin’s greatest hits and the air still pungent with the microwave meal consumed earlier that evening."

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
27 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
@Very-Rusty

Okay, so you voted for my #2 entry. But did you actually read it?!

I genuinely struggle to believe you read a story where I represented you as a woman with hairy legs living in a bedsit and then not only voted for it but made no comment about it whatsoever.

"A little annoyed, Dusty got up to stretch her short hairy legs and placed her laptop on t ...[text shortened]... in’s greatest hits and the air still pungent with the microwave meal consumed earlier that evening."
Getting a good reaction from the attention of insults at me in this forum goad? 😉

You are an attention seeker, and a bit of a arrogant bully.

LOL...Sorry you didn't get the reaction you expected from me from your story! Well actually I am not sorry, I knew it would bother you and you'd have to comment on it. You are so predictable goad! 😉

-VR

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
27 Jul 19

@very-rusty said
Getting a good reaction from the attention of insults at me in this forum goad? 😉

You are an attention seeker, and a bit of a arrogant bully.

LOL...Sorry you didn't get the reaction you expected from me from your story! Well actually I am not sorry, I knew it would bother you and you'd have to comment on it. You are so predictable goad! 😉

-VR
As I thought, you voted for something you didn't read.

That's cool.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
27 Jul 19

@torunn said
My daughters love really scary books/movies, I like some a bit less scary and most of my friends would never ever try them. 'Let The Right One In' by John Ajvide Lindqvist is both horror and love.
I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to horror movies. Give me a good comedy any day of the week.

😀

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
27 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
As I thought, you voted for something you didn't read.

That's cool.
LOL@ goad, think what you want...I don't vote you complain, I vote you claim I didn't read it....You are strange dude! 😉 Carry on, you can get more attention here than in a P.M. 😛 😛

-VR

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Jul 19

@ponderable said
#1 Apartment 4420

On moving day his brother said, "At least the numbers don't add up to thirteen."

Cameron said, "That is correct." He had passed up another apartment with a view of the harbor precisely because of that superstition.

"A priest, a rabbi, and a witch doctor walk into an apartment . . . Did you check with management to make sure no one was murdered he ...[text shortened]... but still did not notice the hazy figure that watched him, so glad it was just the two of them now.
I want to provide some feedback to our writers, and try to do it one story at a time.

This one is graet on atmosphere in my opinion, but probably suffers from the word count limitation. The part about the Ghost (the hazy grey figure) was not enough to really get the point, though I am really interested in what is that figure, why does it cause (?) the power outage in the flat. Why is the figure glad...This would be more than enough for a novelette I think.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Jul 19

@ponderable said
#2 Are you in there?

The forum was unusually quiet. Twenty-three minutes had passed since she’d made her last post and still it sat there, unanswered. A little annoyed, Dusty got up to stretch her short hairy legs and placed her laptop on the brown wooden coffee table, careful to avoid the sticky patch and half eaten packet of home brand digestives. The heavy drapes ha ...[text shortened]... m his fellow posters. It read simply, “Oh, I ate her liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.”
I really liked this one. It has an easy-going flow and caught the spirit of the contest well. However for my liking it was a bit too near our community (as intended if I got Ghost of a Duke correctly)

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Jul 19

@ponderable said
#3 Here be Unicorns

Fire shoots through the skyline, burning a trail through the clear evening. Lowering, as gravity takes hold, the shape coalesces into a dark grey mass, speeding through the atmosphere before slamming into the ground. The impact creates an enormous crater, the outer grey mass shattering, throwing up plumes of smoke and dust, darkening the twilight. ...[text shortened]... , as he jumps easily from the hole, standing at the bottom of the crater, Dracula roars with hunger…
A wonderful starting chapter idea. Well written and carefully crafted for future use I think.
For the 800 word count the story develops to slowly and the reader is kept with many open questions.

So in fact I can't add to what Paul already wrote about his contribution.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Jul 19

@ponderable said
I really liked this one. It has an easy-going flow and caught the spirit of the contest well. However for my liking it was a bit too near our community (as intended if I got Ghost of a Duke correctly)
Yes sir, fully intended.

Tounge in cheek of course, and I refrained from giving the story a horrific ending. (More implied).

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Jul 19

@ponderable said
#4 HOLLYWOOD ENDING

When I first saw it, I thought it was a pile of linen thrown from the window of a flop house, a gray-green wrinkly thing at twilight over an L.A. skid row park. It wasn’t – it was a ghost!

Ghosts. L.A. is full of them. Becoming a ghost is one thing. Remaining a ghost quite another. Where’s the off ramp? Obviously this ghost couldn’t find it.

...[text shortened]... It was no Patrick Swayze “Ghost” heavenly exit scene but I knew Casper had finally found his heaven.
A very moving text, which somehow turned the expectations Wilde style (The canterville Ghost). A lot of hints for movies past.
For me it would have probably be a bit higher graded had it not first person narrator. I am missing the person behind that "I".

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Jul 19

@ponderable said
#5 The Last Metro

Startled awake, incoherent shards of dreams dissipate like smoke rings. Fallen asleep at the desk, again, project unfinished, deadline looming ever nearer. Look at the time! Dash! might catch the last metro. Throw on a jacket, run for the elevator. Race down to the ground floor, rush past George, the old security guard. He half-opens one eye. "G'night ...[text shortened]... ndow and see my reflection, my own expression. Frozen in twilight. Yes, ... the last metro.

fin
This one is so intense. (It was on my list for the top ranks and only just didn't make it).

Okay so we witness the death of a man, and it takes us a bit to realize, as does it for the "hero" himself. The run so well caught by the language structure, by the many and many emotions evoled by all those fast coming words.

Congratulations moonbus.

Moves
28 Jul 19

@ponderable said
I want to provide some feedback to our writers, and try to do it one story at a time.

This one is graet on atmosphere in my opinion, but probably suffers from the word count limitation. The part about the Ghost (the hazy grey figure) was not enough to really get the point, though I am really interested in what is that figure, why does it cause (?) the power outage in the flat. Why is the figure glad...This would be more than enough for a novelette I think.
Thank you for your comments, Ponderable. I agree -- that one would have done better at a longer length. I had a few more ideas than available words and had to wrap it up sooner than planned.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
28 Jul 19
1 edit

@ponderable said
I think everyone caught it and what was being talked about, what the hell it is all in fun and none of us have ever met or really know the other person....Well goad and I have never met anyways, I am sure there are others who have met from the BBQ, and other private get togethers.

-VR

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
29 Jul 19

@ponderable said
#6 GHOST DOG

They always enjoyed the drive home, it was a long straight road that assured them a forced but welcome intimacy. This evening was particularly pleasant with the late summer twilight painting the now wilting leaves a calm russet.
Richard complained about office politics , Jennifer listened with a sympathetic look on her face whilst thi ...[text shortened]... s evening was particularly pleasant with the late summer twilight painting the now wilting leaves…..
Also very intensly written, and evoking a dense atmosphere.

However I think I didn't really understand the Story. There are Connections missing, at least for me. So the ghost Rottweiler did he Surface before or after Kurt and his wife lived there. A premonition ghost would require a bit more work for me to understand.
So if the Young couple with whom the Story starts are in time before Kurt and his wife, why would the ghost dog have a Problem with the small Rooms. They slept in the big room, so were they killed in the small Rooms after all? Did they heed the warning and still were killed?
Sorry for being a bit dumb here.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
29 Jul 19

@ponderable said
#7 Stray Cat
My sister, Julia, was always frail and reticent. I do not think she spoke before she was two. She was never adventurous, but shy and disinclined to climb trees or skip rope or do any of the usual outdoorsy things girls do. But she was alert and observant. She read avidly, and, from 'Nursey,' she learnt Viennese as a second language. Her life changed suddenly, ...[text shortened]... tonished.

"The cat's died," she added, matter-of-factly, "Have the gardner get rid of it."

fin
A master piece in my opinion. In very light tones we have a quite unexpected turning point. Could ahve the old cat exchanged the last life with the girl to live a tenth in her body? A body exchange tale with the extra tweak. And of course the whole character of the girl changed with the new life. So is "she" really the sister of the Narrator?
I also liked the pun on Zehn and Zen. I leave it to the experts if Zen had anything to do with the time in wich the girl and the cat just sat in each others presence. Their forming an intense relation would be an argument against that I think.

The story made it only to second place for me, since the "Horror" was not really in it. It blinked through the callous disregard of the fromer body...but otherwise the illness didn't come really near me in terms of a feeling of Horror.