Who here WANTS end of US democracy?

Who here WANTS end of US democracy?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
27 Mar 23
2 edits

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
Yep, that would make for the rich being in charge of voting, no poor people allowed since they have shown by the fact they are poor they cannot POSSIBLY understand any political or policy decisions.

What cognitive test do you envision? Minimum IQ, say 130 MINIMUM to vote?
Or maybe a road race while you're at it, how many can run 20 miles in one go, no stopping ...[text shortened]... ry in the US, so BURN that traitorous Rosa Parks life story we don't need people to know THAT stuff.
I propose an escape-room type of cognitive skills test. There'd be a few questions on Sherkock Holmes, for example: if you have such-and-such evidence and clues, who done it? Real basic logic -- what conclusions can be drawn given various facts. The practical bit would be how to get out of the escape-room. People who fail don't get out, so they don't vote either. Problem solved.

Lake Como

Moves
27 Mar 23

@sonhouse said
@moonbus
All well and good but the real voting issue is gerrymandering and voter suppression, which you have to admit happens more and more frequently, repub zombies want ONLY power any way they can get it which is the antithesis of democracy. They could care less about actual democracy where the people vote and get their people in power. Like right now in Georgia the stat ...[text shortened]... ng to read this filth.

I guess nobody here gives a rats ass whether we lose our democracy or not.
I note that you yourself do not give a rat's ass if a person can vote without even identifying who they are. It is difficult to absorb your screed above when it is written by someone who thinks someone need not have ID to vote, Sonhouse.

Lake Como

Moves
27 Mar 23

@wajoma said
What qualifies you for a vote is how much, on net, you've put into the system, your vote should be weighted by how much tax you've paid.
Skin in the game

Lake Como

Moves
27 Mar 23

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
Yep, that would make for the rich being in charge of voting, no poor people allowed since they have shown by the fact they are poor they cannot POSSIBLY understand any political or policy decisions.

What cognitive test do you envision? Minimum IQ, say 130 MINIMUM to vote?
Or maybe a road race while you're at it, how many can run 20 miles in one go, no stopping ...[text shortened]... ry in the US, so BURN that traitorous Rosa Parks life story we don't need people to know THAT stuff.
Haha. You left this out of your list.....Require them to identify who they ARE!!!!! haha

Lake Como

Moves
27 Mar 23

@wajoma said
Think about it sonhouse, think. They'd vote their tax down which would mean their vote is worth less, that's the beauty, it levels itself, think, think, before type, type.
Think twice, type once

Moves
27 Mar 23

@sonhouse
Welp. The republic is already gone, so I guess the democracy will soon follow...

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
27 Mar 23

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
One thing, why do you think you have the right to meddle in AMERICAN politics? Why don't you go about attacking your OWN country but I guess you ONLY hate the US so that is your mission in life.
Everyone else is treating this as a bit of fun...

...except you.

moonbus said:

well, that would disqualify Donald J. Trump. Not a bad idea.

Nice point, I agree, and all the other parasite pollies, of course people shouldn't be voting their hand into your pocket, it started as a joke, it's growing legs ;^)

Moves
27 Mar 23

@sonhouse said
Go on, you can say it, you HATE the idea of democracy and are working directly to kill democracy here in the US. People like Metal so-called Brain for instance.
See here is where you got it all wrong, pal.
It's the Democraps that are trying to kill Democracy in America.
They are pure evil.

MB

Moves
27 Mar 23

@averagejoe1 said
It Would be nice if Sonhouse would explain to us what he means about Democracy. Not the def of it....what he means when he randomly throws the word around. I assume it is the antithesis of 'leave us the hell alone', but I just can't figure sonhouse.
He will try to tell us in the shadow of arresting a political enemy as did Stalin and Hitler. Oh, and Putin.
Have you noticed that sonhouse wants Trump indicted so he cannot run for president to thwart democracy? Even the president of Mexico said so because they tried to do the same thing with him. Democrats do not want the people to decide if Trump is fit for another term.

Sonhouse wants to end democracy. He doesn't want the people to decide who can run for POTUS. He wants to ban certain candidates from running. Last time I checked that is why the USA says Iran is not a democracy, because they ban certain candidates from running.

Sonhouse wants the USA to be like Iran and ban candidates from running. Yes, sonhouse wants to end democracy.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
28 Mar 23

@moonbus said - ... but I still think there should be a minimum cognitive competency test before allowing people to vote.

Sterling idea! How about a competency test before allowing people to run for President

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
28 Mar 23

@moonbus said
An interesting idea, but I still think there should be a minimum cognitive competency test before allowing people to vote. Same as for driving a motor vehicle or opening a medical practise. You don't let just anybody do it, simply because he's reached the age of majority.
There was a time in America when only land owners could vote just for that reason, land owners are invested

And if you own shares in a company, your vote counts by how many shares you own.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
28 Mar 23

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
One thing, why do you think you have the right to meddle in AMERICAN politics? Why don't you go about attacking your OWN country but I guess you ONLY hate the US so that is your mission in life.
I see...

But it is Ok for Shavixmir, Kevcvs, Vivify, Deep Blue, Kewpie, Phranny, moonbus, and others to stump for the Democratic Party.

Suer sure sure, sonhouse, you're a real guy...

Lake Como

Moves
28 Mar 23

@liljo said
@sonhouse
Welp. The republic is already gone, so I guess the democracy will soon follow...
Well, yes...I believe that that is already agreed to on the Forum.

Lake Como

Moves
28 Mar 23

@metal-brain said
Have you noticed that sonhouse wants Trump indicted so he cannot run for president to thwart democracy? Even the president of Mexico said so because they tried to do the same thing with him. Democrats do not want the people to decide if Trump is fit for another term.

Sonhouse wants to end democracy. He doesn't want the people to decide who can run for POTUS. He wants ...[text shortened]... wants the USA to be like Iran and ban candidates from running. Yes, sonhouse wants to end democracy.
Sonhouse will not respond to this. He will not even tell us why 'No ID' is acceptable.
AND , I have asked him time and time again to define Democracy. Like, how can persecution exist in a Democracy.
He Will Not Answer.
Man up, Sonhouse, your chickens can wait.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
28 Mar 23
2 edits

@kewpie said
If voting is not obligatory, you'll never get a result truly representative of the population, because only the extremists will bother to vote. The majority is apathetic and can always find something more interesting to do. Countries whose populations see voting as a community obligation important to their own futures usually get a better result, because the "sensible centre" far outnumber the fanatics.
Steven Levitt once said that even if the election was on whether you would be executed, it would be irrational to vote since you're more likely to be killed on the way to the polling place than the swing the election with your vote.

People vote for emotional reasons more so than logical ones. They vote out of a sense of duty or anger or hope. The vote for the same reasons they make a wish when they blow out the birthday cake (and voting has less impact, because at least the birthday wish can have a psychosomatic effect).

The way to get people to vote is to get them emotionally invested in your cause. If you can't do it, then too bad for you as a candidate. I vote not because I think it's logical but because I like the feeling I get from voting and from nodding to my friends and neighbors at the polling place and for the feeling that I struck a blow for my beliefs, even though I know the blow won't really do much of anything. It's the same reason I root for my favorite football team even though that's just as irrational.

Forcing people to vote is beside the point. That a person can get more hostage-voters to pull the lever for him doesn't seem to me to be a better reason to be in power than the person who inspired more people to behave irrationally for the ideal of his candidacy.