Punish the whistleblower??

Punish the whistleblower??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
27 Sep 19

Donald Trump had suggested this recent whistleblower "commited treason"

I want to know who’s the person, who’s the person who gave the whistleblower the information? Because that’s close to a spy.
“You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? The spies and treason, we used to handle it a little differently than we do now,”

So - what happens when a whistleblower comes out with information incriminating a Democratic President or other lawmaker? Should we punish them too?

I'm not following Trump's line of reasoning here -

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/trump-compares-ukraine-whistleblower-source-to-spy.html

P

Moves
27 Sep 19

@mchill Trump considers himself a dictator. He believes he is above the law. Apparently many US citizens also believe he is above the look away. Over 50% on a recent poll said impeachment was basically irrelevant to their choice of whom to vote for in 2020.

Moves
27 Sep 19

@mchill said
Donald Trump had suggested this recent whistleblower "commited treason"

I want to know who’s the person, who’s the person who gave the whistleblower the information? Because that’s close to a spy.
“You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? The spies and treason, we used to handle it a little differently than we do now,”

So - what happens wh ...[text shortened]... g here -

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/trump-compares-ukraine-whistleblower-source-to-spy.html
“Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest? (sometimes expressed as troublesome or meddlesome priest) is an utterance attributed to Henry II of England, which led to the death of Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury, in 1170. While it was not expressed as an order, it caused four knights to travel from Normandy to Canterbury, where they killed Becket.

The phrase is now used to express the idea that a ruler's wish can be interpreted as a command by his or her subordinates.” -Wikipedia

K

Germany

Moves
27 Sep 19

Watch the usual suspects defend this in more bizarre acts of moral self-flagellation.

D

Moves
27 Sep 19

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Sep 19

@Duchess64
He tells them it's ok to hate.

D

Moves
28 Sep 19
1 edit

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
28 Sep 19

We have laws protecting whistleblowers.

No authority likes them, but having them is a very healthy check for the balance.

When authority wants to punish whistleblowing or calls it treason (governmental) or betraying the trust (organisational), you know you’re dealing with people who do not care for self-reflection, evaluation cycles or audits.

They’re not the sort of people one would want to invite on a weekend fishing trip.

MB

Moves
28 Sep 19

The post that was quoted here has been removed
It worked for Mussolini. Effective, isn't it?

MB

Moves
28 Sep 19

@shavixmir said
We have laws protecting whistleblowers.

No authority likes them, but having them is a very healthy check for the balance.

When authority wants to punish whistleblowing or calls it treason (governmental) or betraying the trust (organisational), you know you’re dealing with people who do not care for self-reflection, evaluation cycles or audits.

They’re not the sort of people one would want to invite on a weekend fishing trip.
Then why the anonymity if they are really protected? There are reasons to argue against giving credibility to an anynomous source.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 19

@metal-brain said
It worked for Mussolini. Effective, isn't it?
He wound up dead hanging upside down.

We'll take a less radical solution to Trump's crimes and corruption.

MB

Moves
28 Sep 19

@no1marauder said
He wound up dead hanging upside down.

We'll take a less radical solution to Trump's crimes and corruption.
Why? Don't you think he deserves it?

Have you thought much past Trump's impeachment if it happens? Looking forward to a Pence presidency? War with Iran?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 19

@metal-brain said
Why? Don't you think he deserves it?

Have you thought much past Trump's impeachment if it happens? Looking forward to a Pence presidency? War with Iran?
I'll take his resignation; he's a pitiful figure not deserving execution.

(Shrug) Why you think Pence would be worse than Trump is beyond my comprehension.

Über-Nerd

Moves
28 Sep 19

@no1marauder said

(Shrug) Why you think Pence would be worse than Trump is beyond my comprehension.
Why Pence would be worse: Pence understands how politics actually works.

MB

Moves
28 Sep 19

@no1marauder said

Seriously? Are you stupid or ignorant?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/27/mike-pence-predicts-war-everywhere-next-few-years/