Punish the whistleblower??

Punish the whistleblower??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
28 Sep 19
1 edit

@moonbus said
Why Pence would be worse: Pence understands how politics actually works.
So did Hitler and Stalin.

What if the whistleblower turned out to be someone like Frank Terpil? I think we should know his name.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
28 Sep 19

@metal-brain said
Then why the anonymity if they are really protected? There are reasons to argue against giving credibility to an anynomous source.
Do you reside on the same planet as the rest of us?

Why do you think they try to remain annonymous?

MB

Moves
28 Sep 19

@shavixmir said
Do you reside on the same planet as the rest of us?

Why do you think they try to remain annonymous?
To avoid people discovering an obvious conflict of interest.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
28 Sep 19

@metal-brain said
To avoid people discovering an obvious conflict of interest.
Normally I would explain the use of annonimity in these matters.

But I’ve given up on you. It’s pointless.

MB

Moves
28 Sep 19

@shavixmir said
Normally I would explain the use of annonimity in these matters.

But I’ve given up on you. It’s pointless.
Is this a conflict of interest?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-24/what-crowdstrike-firm-hired-dnc-has-ties-hillary-clinton-ukrainian-billionaire-and-g

Yep.

Über-Nerd

Moves
28 Sep 19
1 edit

@metal-brain said
So did Hitler and Stalin.

What if the whistleblower turned out to be someone like Frank Terpil? I think we should know his name.
The name may come out later, after the investigation is concluded. The point of guaranteeing anonymity is to prevent the government, specifically Trump or his agents, from causing the whistleblower to 'disappear' before the full testimony is heard and justice served.

MB

Moves
28 Sep 19

@moonbus said
The name may come out later, after the investigation is concluded. The point of guaranteeing anonymity is to prevent the government, specifically Trump or his agents, from causing the whistleblower to 'disappear' before the full testimony is heard and justice served.
How would you know he/she disappeared now? You don't know who it is. Lets say hypothetically it is Gina Haspel. Would that make a difference to you? What if it was a good friend of the Biden family? All sorts of conflict of interest is possible in very different ways.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/09/gina-haspel-cia-director-confirmation-hearing-torture-sites

Über-Nerd

Moves
28 Sep 19

@metal-brain said
How would you know he/she disappeared now? You don't know who it is. Lets say hypothetically it is Gina Haspel. Would that make a difference to you? What if it was a good friend of the Biden family? All sorts of conflict of interest is possible in very different ways.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/09/gina-haspel-cia-director-confirmation-hearing-torture-sites
Since you mentioned Hitler and Stalin, it is well to point out that whoever dissented against their regimes, or exposed their incompetence or criminal activities, landed in concentration camps or gulags. That is why witnesses and whistleblowers need protection. That is why brakes on executive power are necessary.

Whether there is a conflict of interest is to be established by some sort of oversight committee later, after the evidence has been collected and impartially weighed. At this point in time, the Trump administration is stonewalling on the collecting of evidence. Therefore, it is appropriate to keep the whistleblower's identity secret, especially from the WH staff -- to prevent extra-judicial reprisals.

Moves
28 Sep 19

@no1marauder said
I'll take his resignation; he's a pitiful figure not deserving execution.

(Shrug) Why you think Pence would be worse than Trump is beyond my comprehension.
why you think you can void the vote of millions of Americans is just stupid! Our system does not operate like that. Dems have harmed themselves considerably. The far left is now in control of the party and that is dangerous.

Moves
28 Sep 19
1 edit

@moonbus said
Since you mentioned Hitler and Stalin, it is well to point out that whoever dissented against their regimes, or exposed their incompetence or criminal activities, landed in concentration camps or gulags. That is why witnesses and whistleblowers need protection. That is why brakes on executive power are necessary.

Whether there is a conflict of interest is to be established ...[text shortened]... histleblower's identity secret, especially from the WH staff -- to prevent extra-judicial reprisals.
lets just stop the “whistle blower”BS now. Everyone knows what is going on. There is not any “whistle blower”. This will blow up for dems just like previous attempts.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 19

@mott-the-hoople said
why you think you can void the vote of millions of Americans is just stupid! Our system does not operate like that. Dems have harmed themselves considerably. The far left is now in control of the party and that is dangerous.
Winning an election does not give one carte blanche to violate the laws of the United States and/or engage in wholescale corruption and misconduct. Nixon won all but one State and DC in 1972 but was forced out for acts that pale next to what Trump has done.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Sep 19

@Metal-Brain
Suppose YOU were the whistleblower testifying against president Chump.
Wouldn't YOU want to be anonymous considering what he said, we used to treat spies differently back then, I think was the words he used.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 19

@mott-the-hoople said
lets just stop the “whistle blower”BS now. Everyone knows what is going on. There is not any “whistle blower”. This will blow up for dems just like previous attempts.
You must be hitting the QAnon sites again.

Not only is there a whistleblower, but so far everything he said has been substantiated usually by admissions from the White House or Trump's lawyer.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 19

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
Wouldn't YOU want to be anonymous considering what he said, we used to treat spies differently back then, I think was the words he used.
It's not quite accurate to call the whistleblower "anonymous". He is required when filing the complaint to give his name and position, so those in the statutory loop know who he/she is.

Read a book!

Moves
28 Sep 19

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
"Back then" when he was a draft dodger.