Punish the whistleblower??

Punish the whistleblower??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
29 Sep 19
2 edits

@no1marauder said
18 US sec. 201 is the Federal Bribery statute:

(b) Whoever:

(2) being a public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally or for any other person or entity, in return for:

(A) being influenced in the performance of any officia ...[text shortened]... f honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/201
Very nice job at reciting the law, No1. Now show me where the law was violated. as we know of things right NOW:

POTUS made no demands on Ukraine, POTUS received no personal gain, no quid pro quo.

Things could change as more evidence comes to light but as it stands right now, Trump has done nothing wrong.

Everybody complains about corruption in Washington yet when a pol tries to rout out corruption, everyone on the political side of the fence that said corrupt pol is on, get angry, belligerent!!

No wonder why the freekin' pols are corrupt. The American people have no scruples. They roll around in moral corruption and slop it all over themselves.
"how dare you ask for an investigation!" Yeah, right.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Sep 19

@earl-of-trumps said
Very nice job at reciting the law, No1. Now show me where the law was violated. as we know of things right NOW:

POTUS made no demands on Ukraine, POTUS received no personal gain, no quid pro quo.

Things could change as more evidence comes to light but as it stands right now, Trump has done nothing wrong.

Everybody complains about corruption in Washington yet ...[text shortened]... corruption and slop it all over themselves.
"how dare you ask for an investigation!" Yeah, right.
He did "demand" and he certainly "seeks". Doing either is a violation of the law whether he is successful or not.

The idea that Trump is interested in "rooting out corruption" is laughable. He's interested in getting re-elected and will violate US laws to do so. He has even stated that he would accept foreign help to do so and told representatives of nations who's military interfered in 2016 that he wasn't concerned about such acts. If that isn't "corrupt", I don't know what is.

MB

Moves
29 Sep 19

@no1marauder said
He did "demand" and he certainly "seeks". Doing either is a violation of the law whether he is successful or not.

The idea that Trump is interested in "rooting out corruption" is laughable. He's interested in getting re-elected and will violate US laws to do so. He has even stated that he would accept foreign help to do so and told representatives of nations who's mili ...[text shortened]... red in 2016 that he wasn't concerned about such acts. If that isn't "corrupt", I don't know what is.
That is not true. Trump clearly asked for a favor. A favor is not a demand.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Sep 19

@metal-brain said
LMAO!

A "favor" after he has cut off military aid, talked about how much the US has helped Ukraine but not received reciprocal value in return and then asks for his "favor" right after the President of Ukraine starts talking about military matters regarding Javelin missiles.

Surely you guys aren't that naive. And even a "favor" if you want to ridiculously characterize it as that just because the Donald said so would meet the "seeks" requirement of the Federal statute presented above.

MB

Moves
29 Sep 19

@no1marauder said
LMAO!

A "favor" after he has cut off military aid, talked about how much the US has helped Ukraine but not received reciprocal value in return and then asks for his "favor" right after the President of Ukraine starts talking about military matters regarding Javelin missiles.

Surely you guys aren't that naive. And even a "favor" if you want to ridiculously character ...[text shortened]... ecause the Donald said so would meet the "seeks" requirement of the Federal statute presented above.
Did he tell them he cut off military aid? That would be compelling.

You need to remember his statements are important. Not just what he said, but what he did not say. He said "favor". That indicates a request, not a demand.

You know I don't like Trump. This isn't partisan bias from me. This is about the facts. The facts are more important than wishful thinking and I'm doing you a favor by pointing out why you are getting your hopes up again. Every time the establishment wants you to chew on a bone to leave them alone you chew and never let go. You did it with the Mueller investigation and you were wrong. You are making the same mistake again.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
29 Sep 19

@mchill said
Donald Trump had suggested this recent whistleblower "commited treason"

I want to know who’s the person, who’s the person who gave the whistleblower the information? Because that’s close to a spy.
“You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? The spies and treason, we used to handle it a little differently than we do now,”

So - what happens wh ...[text shortened]... g here -

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/trump-compares-ukraine-whistleblower-source-to-spy.html
Trump is getting more and more deranged. It's time for Republican and Democrats to unite as a country and send him off to Mar-a-Lago to scream at clouds for the rest of his life and get somebody competent and sane in our highest office.

MB

Moves
29 Sep 19

@sh76 said
Trump is getting more and more deranged. It's time for Republican and Democrats to unite as a country and send him off to Mar-a-Lago to scream at clouds for the rest of his life and get somebody competent and sane in our highest office.
It is an act to whip up partisan division. Even though I don't like Trump and think he can be a moron, he hasn't started a war yet. He threatens war carelessly, but he hasn't started one.

Pence sees wars everywhere. That is what people do when they are eager to start them. Be careful what you wish for. People who see wars everywhere are not sane.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
29 Sep 19

@metal-brain said
IF someone holds a gun to your head and says "Do me a favor - hand over your wallet" do you think that negates a robbery charge?

The point is the particular words used are not as important as the context the words are used in. The underlying circumstances clearly show that Trump was using the withholding of already appropriated foreign aid to pressure the President of the Ukraine to start criminal investigations that the Donald believed would benefit him personally. Such action falls within the Federal bribery statute.

MB

Moves
29 Sep 19

@no1marauder said
IF someone holds a gun to your head and says "Do me a favor - hand over your wallet" do you think that negates a robbery charge?

The point is the particular words used are not as important as the context the words are used in. The underlying circumstances clearly show that Trump was using the withholding of already appropriated foreign aid to pressure the President of ...[text shortened]... Donald believed would benefit him personally. Such action falls within the Federal bribery statute.
Trump did not use a gun. False analogy.

I'll ask again, did the Ukraine official know the funds were cut off? If they didn't it makes a big difference. You need to acknowledge that.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
29 Sep 19
1 edit

@sh76 said

My hope springs eternal 🙂

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
30 Sep 19
3 edits

@js357 said
“Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest? (sometimes expressed as troublesome or meddlesome priest) is an utterance attributed to Henry II of England, which led to the death of Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury, in 1170. While it was not expressed as an order, it caused four knights to travel from Normandy to Canterbury, where they killed Becket.

The phrase is ...[text shortened]... the idea that a ruler's wish can be interpreted as a command by his or her subordinates.” -Wikipedia
"Trump clearly asked for a favor. A favor is not a demand."

"Who will rid me of this turbulent priest!" is an exclamation, not a question. When MBS murmurs "we have to do something about so-and-so," a Saudi assassin squad causes Khashoggi to disappear. Did MBS order his execution? Probably not explicitly, but his agents certainly interpreted his words in a manner calculated to absolve him of direct responsibility for a result he no doubt desired.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49826905

When a president asks a favour, others will interpret it as directive. Presidents know this.

That is exactly why whistleblower anonymity is needful. Otherwise, they might disappear.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
01 Oct 19

@metal-brain said
It is an act to whip up partisan division. Even though I don't like Trump and think he can be a moron, he hasn't started a war yet. He threatens war carelessly, but he hasn't started one.

Pence sees wars everywhere. That is what people do when they are eager to start them. Be careful what you wish for. People who see wars everywhere are not sane.
Speaking of "screaming at clouds"...

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
01 Oct 19

I'm suspicious about this whistleblower.

Firstly, the laws regarding the protection of such a whistleblower were changed to now include people reporting second hand information so that said whistleblower can use hearsay information and still get coverage. The law changed two weeks before said WB came forth.

Suspicious.

How did said whistleblower know this? can we all say collusion???

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
01 Oct 19
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said

Firstly, the laws regarding the protection of such a whistleblower were changed to now include people reporting second hand information so that said whistleblower can use hearsay information and still get coverage. The law changed two weeks before said WB came forth.

Suspicious.

Of course you are. Of course.

You do know that this has moved passed the whistleblower though, don’t you.
Everything he/she/they/one/it/gruu/spee/bra/whatever said has been proven in hidden transcripts and every republican who’s opened his beak.

It’s unbelievable corruption on the top end of the stupidity scale; right where it crosses with incompetency.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
01 Oct 19

@earl-of-trumps said

Suspicious.

surely your suspicions must hang on who or which body was responsible fit changing the law. Unless your determined to be suspicious of anyone or anything that casts Trump in a bad light.