1. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 May '22 20:391 edit
    @eintaluj said
    I do not argue that he presented a compelling argument. What I argue is that IF he presents a compelling argument, then...

I disagree that there obviously is no convincing argument. Differently from you, I do not pretend to know all relevant facts.
    Didn't hear a whole lot of speakin'
    out whilst' we were 'spreadin' democracy
    to those Iraqi people a few years back.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 May '22 01:31
    @suzianne said
    Hmmmmmm, didn't Saddam Hussein try to do that to Kuwait?

And look where it got him.
    Kuwait was slant drilling under Iraq's land to steal Iraq's oil.
    When Iraq brought it up with US diplomats they told Iraq they didn't get involved in those disputes and basically gave Iraq the green light to invade.

See "Hidden Wars of Desert Storm". You will get the truth there.
  3. Tallinn
    Moves
    12 May '22 05:45
    @EintaluJ

In my original text, Red Hot Pawn had lost the formatting of the text, but it is understandable anyway. Everything that follows after the phrase WHAT IF is obviously conditional (hypothetical) and I have NOT asserted that someone has in fact succeeded in convincingly justifying that war (and Karjakin's name is even not mentioned in that part of my text).

However, perhaps I could make the text more precise by adding the quotation marks in the following way:

<But what if a sportsperson succeeds in justifying that war?

"He presented compelling arguments to justify the unjustified war.">

Then, instead of the italics, quotation marks would be used. But it is impossible to edit the text after the replies have been published.
  4. Tallinn
    Moves
    12 May '22 05:50
    @sonhouse said
    @EintaluJ
    I read your text but I get the impression you are ok with Putin attacking Ukraine. Is that true?
    My text is NOT talking about whether the Russian invasion of Ukraine is justified. Rather, it talks about the freedom of expression and about the inconsistency of Western policies and arguments.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '22 05:53
    @metal-brain said
    Kuwait was slant drilling under Iraq's land to steal Iraq's oil.
    When Iraq brought it up with US diplomats they told Iraq they didn't get involved in those disputes and basically gave Iraq the green light to invade.

Oh, please. Your relationship with the truth is like your relationship with strangers that only you think are your relatives.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '22 05:55
    @eintaluj said
    My text is NOT talking about whether the Russian invasion of Ukraine is justified. Rather, it talks about the freedom of expression and about the inconsistency of Western policies and arguments.
    And it assumes that Russia was justified in attacking a neighboring sovereign state.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 May '22 06:59
    @suzianne said
    Oh, please. Your relationship with the truth is like your relationship with strangers that only you think are your relatives.

Kuwait was stealing oil from Iraq. There is no world police you can call.

https://apnews.com/article/6742c744762b00268e67ee411da7e05f

Is AP NEWS a good enough source for you?
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 May '22 07:35
    @suzianne said
    Hmmmmmm, didn't Saddam Hussein try to do that to Kuwait?

And look where it got him.
    That resulted in a much more limited and justifiable war than the 2nd Iraq war.
    It would have been so much better if they had just decapitated the regime ( not literally ) and left the police and the army in place under UN supervision. Our actions definitely created a worse chaos than we found.
    I still do not think past wrongs we perpetrated can be used to give Putin a free reign in Europe if anything not supporting Ukraine makes our Middle East meddling even worse.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 May '22 07:432 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 May '22 10:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    What you’ve missed is our reticence over Syria perhaps we’ve learned our lesson and now it’s Russias turn.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 May '22 10:521 edit
    “ Why do you still condone war criminals just because they are American and British (Tony Blair) ?”
    I’ve alerted this as misrepresentation of a posters stance and I think you know why.
    I’ve condemned Bush and Blair over the Iraq war and told you they can cart the pair of them off to The Hague anytime they like for me on numerous occasions
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '22 11:351 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    That resulted in a much more limited and justifiable war than the 2nd Iraq war.
    It would have been so much better if they had just decapitated the regime ( not literally ) and left the police and the army in place under UN supervision. Our actions definitely created a worse chaos than we found.
    I still do not think past wrongs we perpetrated can be used to give Putin a free reign in Europe if anything not supporting Ukraine makes our Middle East meddling even worse.
    Exactly.

I think W overstepped (understatement) when he went back to take out the guy who dissed his daddy.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '22 11:40
    What? You don't give Trump a big 'war criminal' kiss for giving Iran the green light to produce nukes?

Of course you don't. Hypocrite.
  14. Tallinn
    Moves
    12 May '22 12:50
    @suzianne said
    And it assumes that Russia was justified in attacking a neighboring sovereign state.
    You are a spammer. My post has made no factual assumptions whatsoever about whether Russia has some compelling justifications or not.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 May '22 16:51
    @kevcvs57 said
    What you’ve missed is our reticence over Syria perhaps we’ve learned our lesson and now it’s Russias turn.
    Interesting you should bring up Syria. The USA invaded and now occupies one third of that country. More than Russia occupies Ukraine.

When the USA pulls out of Syria Russia can pull out of Ukraine.
    That is only fair, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree