1. Tallinn
    Moves
    11 May '22 07:47
    Chess grandmaster Sergey Karjakin received a six-month ban from the international competitions, and his appeal was dismissed. When the international chess federation FIDE initiated the case, it accused Karjakin of supporting the unjustified war:

"FIDE Council condemns any public statement from any member of the chess community which supports unjustified military action..."

https://fide.com/news/1603

(The concepts of "justified war" or "just war" can be found in the encyclopaedias:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/just-war )

However, Karjakin not only approved that war but also presented some arguments to convince us that this war was justified.

In sum, Karjakin's fault seems to be the following:

He tried to justify the unjustified war.

If a sportsperson tries to justify the unjustified war, it results in 6 months ban from international competitions.

But what if a sportsperson presents strong arguments to justify the unjustified war? Whether the punishment should also be more serious? For example, it results in a 6-year ban from international competitions.

But what if a sportsperson succeeds in justifying that war?

He presented compelling arguments to justify the unjustified war.

Probably, that sportsperson should be jailed for 170-years. Because it is impossible to justify the unjustified war, and if someone succeeds in doing the impossible, it should be regarded as the greatest crime.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 May '22 08:07
    @eintaluj said
    Chess grandmaster Sergey Karjakin received a six-month ban from the international competitions, and his appeal was dismissed. When the international chess federation FIDE initiated the case, it accused Karjakin of supporting the unjustified war:

"FIDE Council condemns any public statement from any member of the chess community which supports unjustified military action... ...[text shortened]... d war, and if someone succeeds in doing the impossible, it should be regarded as the greatest crime.
    wtf are you talking about.
    Did you get bitten by a radioactive fortune cookie and you now have the power to be vague and barely coherent?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 May '22 08:09
    @eintaluj said

"FIDE Council condemns any public statement from any member of the chess community which supports unjustified military action... ...[text shortened]... d war, and if someone succeeds in doing the impossible, it should be regarded as the greatest crime.
    "He presented compelling arguments to justify the unjustified war. "
    This is part of the hypothetical or you actually think there are arguments for this war. Non-insane, non-fabrication arguments?
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 May '22 10:17
    @eintaluj said

But he obviously did not present a convincing argument regarding the justification of this war because there obviously isn’t one.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:23
    @eintaluj said

This is the same type of intelligence-free thinking that got Donald Trump elected in 2016.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:33
    @kevcvs57 said
    But he obviously did not present a convincing argument regarding the justification of this war because there obviously isn’t one.
    Were American chess players subjected to the same discrimination after the USA invaded Iraq and Libya?
  7. Tallinn
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:43
    @zahlanzi said
    wtf are you talking about.
    Did you get bitten by a radioactive fortune cookie and you now have the power to be vague and barely coherent?
    It is not me who is vague and incoherent.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:44
    @metal-brain said
    Were American chess players subjected to the same discrimination after the USA invaded Iraq and Libya?
    Which American chess players defended those wars?
  9. Tallinn
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:471 edit
    @zahlanzi said
    "He presented compelling arguments to justify the unjustified war. "
    This is part of the hypothetical or you actually think there are arguments for this war. Non-insane, non-fabrication arguments?
    In my original text, it is in italics. The formatting has been lost here.
    Of course, it is hypothetical, conditional.
    Suppose that he presents compelling arguments. Then, the accusation would be:

"He presented compelling arguments to justify the unjustified war."

It is not my fault if it sounds strange. It sounds strange from the very beginning:

"He supported and tried to justify the unjustified war."

It is what FIDE officials are talking, it is not my logic.
  10. Tallinn
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:50
    @kevcvs57 said
    I do not argue that he presented a compelling argument. What I argue is that IF he presents a compelling argument, then...

I disagree that there obviously is no convincing argument. Differently from you, I do not pretend to know all relevant facts.
  11. Tallinn
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:52
    @suzianne said
    This is the same type of intelligence-free thinking that got Donald Trump elected in 2016.
    And you fail to say anything about the content of my post.
    And you refuse to be educated on how to discuss in a civilized manner.
  12. Tallinn
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:56
    @metal-brain said
    Probably none.

But Kasparov demands now, that only those Russian chess players should be allowed to participate in international tournaments, who publicly disapprove of the Ukrainian war. In that case, however, all the American chess players should be banned because they have not publicly disapproved of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.

There is only one exception.

Only Bobby Fisher said publicly that Bush is a criminal and should be hanged.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 May '22 13:351 edit
    @metal-brain said
    No they weren’t which would indicate to anyone with an ounce of intelligence and / or integrity that whilst the 2nd Iraq war was not justified it wasn’t as unjustified as an authoritarian state invading a peaceful neighbouring democracy for the purposes of expansion.
    Do you think that the US intended to officially annex any part of Iraq?
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 May '22 13:38
    @eintaluj said
    I do not argue that he presented a compelling argument. What I argue is that IF he presents a compelling argument, then...

I disagree that there obviously is no convincing argument. Differently from you, I do not pretend to know all relevant facts.
    Well if he put forward a compelling justification for the invasion then I guess he would not have been banned.
    Stop pretending that a powerful neighbouring nation invading a relatively weak neighbour in order to annex it or large chunks of it is too complicated for the average intellect to figure out, it comes across as dishonest and disrespectful to your fellow posters.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 May '22 14:26
    @EintaluJ
    Do you seriously think Putin is justified attacking Ukraine starting in 2014 and continuing to bomb civilians as we speak?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree