Tournament Longevity-COMPLAINT

Tournament Longevity-COMPLAINT

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Moves
15 Mar 08

There are plenty of tournaments available, with time ranges from 21/21 down to 1/0, or even 0/n if that's your bag. There are several people who enter 21/21 and nothing else. Look through a few - the same names keep turning up. Many of these folks wouldn't be seen dead in a 3/7 or 7/7.
It is very annoying is when people thoughtlessly enter a type which doesn't suit their style and then whine about the consequences in the forums.
The simple answer is for them to resign the games and let the people who care about the format carry on without them. With their game turnover, the loss of points will be unnoticeable within a month anyway.

m

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by goofball343
This is a matter of opinion. Some would say that a quick game is not a good game and that no timebank is ridiculous.

Edit - Sorry, I just re-read your post and realize that there may be a language problem. Please allow me to translate.

THIS IS A MATTER OF OPINION. SOME WOULD SAY THAT A QUICK GAME IS NOT A GOOD GAME AND THAT NO TIME BANK IS RIDICULOUS. 😉
NOT A LANGUAGE PROBLEM - MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON APPEARS TO BE STUCK!!

GT

Nixa, MO USA

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by adramforall
I never said I wanted you banned. Just mentioned that your interpretation of Heng could be construed as harassment, which is not condoned

You joined tournaments that have specific time limits.

The players within these tournaments have the right to take any amount of time to make their move up to that limit.

Lets say you join an Octet 7/7 tou ...[text shortened]... . If he fails to move the opportunity to timeout will arise and then you take the timeout.
[b]I never said I wanted you banned. Just mentioned that your interpretation of Heng could be construed as harassment, which is not condoned
Along with several other statements, that's NOT THE TRUTH!! The items cited along with your "slogan" saying you're an undercover Mod says you are in effect WARNING me I should be banned!
You could argue that the minute any player finishes their games within a tournament that the other players are holding him up!!
I alerady answered this as also NOT TRUE! This is another example of specious thinking and shows ADAMFORALL has never taken a course in logic! UNTIL every other group has finished, it is improper to say someone is holding up the group! WHEN one player IS the last to play and has been for a month THEN it IS correct to say they'er holding up the tournament!!
With the sheer volume of games player by Heng does that not tell you something? It tells me that people know he is moving within the tournament limits.
AGAIN wrong! What his statement that, "I only push the "next game" button" says to ME is that he makes NO distinction between private games and games in which he has agreed to join a group of players who are dependant on him to keep track of the games!! You are in effect saying that he has NO responsibilities to the group he joined! Which, if there are no ramifications to taking over a month longer than ALL the rest of the players, IS true on this site! And is also the reason I, for one will not enter any more tournaments! And the only tournament I'm in, I will withdraw from, if I can figure out how!

g

OC

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by myqueensaslaaart
NOT A LANGUAGE PROBLEM - MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON APPEARS TO BE STUCK!!
Sorry about that. I hope you understand that I was only joking with you.

g

OC

Moves
16 Mar 08

As for Mr. Thomas, he initially made similar complaints about players not moving within their time constraints, here Thread 79427.

Though some people may have been somewhat rude to him in the threads, there were others who actually did try to explain the simple facts regarding timeouts - those are the agreed upon rules of the game being played.

In any game here, the players must decide on the time limits and agree on those time limits (this is only NOT true in clan games). Thus, the players have that many days to move and can take as little or as much of that time as they want.

No player is rude simply because he takes all the time that he wants. This is a rather silly argument. One never knows why someone waits to the last possible second to move. There may be good reason and complaining about slow movement accomplishes nothing.

The time limits still apply in tournaments where ALL players agreed to the time constraints for all other players. As can be seen, some tournaments will last for years because there may be one or two slower players.

The best advice that anyone can offer is that if you don't like 21/21 games (or long tournaments), don't play them.

It is, therefore, absolutely pointless to go on to the forums and complain about another player's slow movement, not moving fast enough, or not moving in a reasonable time since you agreed to that time before entering the game. Such complaints will generally fall upon deaf ears because, as all the players who have been here for an extended period of time understand, there is nothing that can be done.

g

OC

Moves
16 Mar 08

Maybe you should just stop entering tournaments if you are not happy with others players playing at a slower speed than you desire.

The only [b]selfish
person here is yourself, trying to rush a player into making moves.

You are in effect harassing the player in question, and harassment is against the TOS, see section 3c

http://www.redhotp ...[text shortened]... will start when Mr Heng finishes his games, whether that be today, tomorrow or in 6 months time.[/b]
I reposted adramforall's post here because I simply wanted to point out that it really wasn't that harsh or threatening. Though he talked about banning, he was merely reminding Mr. Thomas that it was improper to make public accusations against others in the forum.

This is similar to what I have said many times before regarding people who complain about another player's 'moving to slow', 'not moving enough' and/or 'not moving within a reasonable time'. These forum complaints are much more unsportsmanlike than any of the accusations since, even if true, the accusations are within the rules.

The complaints, however, are personal attacks against another on a public board. Such actions are not proper any way you want to look at it.

By the way, Mr. Thomas, one can put anything they choose on their profile. So, though adramforall says he is an undercover forum mod, this is a joke. He is nothing of the sort.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
16 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Gary Thomas
I never said I wanted you banned. Just mentioned that your interpretation of Heng could be construed as harassment, which is not condoned
Along with several other statements, that's NOT THE TRUTH!! The items cited along with your "slogan" saying you're an undercover Mod says you are in effect WARNING me I s aments! And the only tournament I'm in, I will withdraw from, if I can figure out how!
You really need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Here are 3 simple facts that I am sure you will understand.

1. Heng is playing within the rules and doing nothing wrong.

2. Heng is playing within the rules and doing nothing wrong.

3. Heng is playing within the rules and doing nothing wrong.

Do you really believe that a player who enters a tournament should treat these games any differently from his other games?

What the difference between a private game and a tournament game? There is none, you have agreed to play the players within agreed time limits.

If I changed my slogan from "Undercover Forum Mod" to "Man from Mars" would it make a difference to how you interpret my posts?

If you need to know who the forum mods are look here

http://www.redhotpawn.com/comhub/volunteers.php

You will notice, however, that most do not identify themselves as Forum Mods? Is this wrong?

If you want to be childish and not play in tournaments because some people take longer to play then thats up to you.

Once you have entered, then only way to get out is to resign your games - not exactly sportsmanlike behaviour and you will then have denied someone else the opportunity of being in that tournament.

I notice you are in Tournament 3103 Have you chased up the last two players in Group 13 who are now holding up the tournament?

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
16 Mar 08

As for Mr. Thomas, he initially made similar complaints about players not moving within their time constraints, here Thread 79427.
A serial complainer who has been a member for less than a year warning us that the site won't last lol

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
16 Mar 08

I reposted adramforall's post here because I simply wanted to point out that it really wasn't that harsh or threatening. Though he talked about banning, he was merely reminding Mr. Thomas that it was improper to make public accusations against others in the forum.

This is similar to what I have said many times before regarding people who complain abo ...[text shortened]... mforall says he is an undercover forum mod, this is a joke. He is nothing of the sort.
Thanks, someone who understands what was said.

P.S. You never know, I may be an Undercover Forum Mod. If you think about it, those in authority will deny it to preserve my cover. 😛

j

Moves
16 Mar 08

Though some people may have been somewhat rude to him in the threads, there were others who actually did try to explain the simple facts regarding timeouts - those are the agreed upon rules of the game being ...[text shortened]... have been here for an extended period of time understand, there is nothing that can be done.
I do not understand why do you continue to justify unreasonable behavior. If you remember the curve concept in grades, the player I and some other people are criticizing is that outlier who is three standard deviations away from the mean and who is frankly annoying.

If you were to enter a 21/21 tournament and had the bad luck to be stuck with two of these people (playing within the rules as you like to say) you could be in for a game that lasts 12 years.

[21 days X 35 moves per game (a very common game length) + 21 days timebank ] * 2 players = 4.14 years
If you multiply that by three rounds of tournament = 12.42 years

Nobody signs up for that kind of playing period. RHP may not even exist by then.

We are all thinking people. We all have the capacity of being reasonable and not blindly sticking to a rule that annoys most and pleases a tiny minority (say 2 people out of a field of 64, 81, 32, etc)

Further, my argument is not to make a rule that RHP may not be able to enforce but simply that it is fair to let these extremely slow movers know that their behavior is being noticed and that we are no pleased with it.
I believe that in the medium term RHP should research ways to address this type of annoying behavior.
Chess is for fun !

g

OC

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by jalajale
I do not understand why do you continue to justify unreasonable behavior.

I fail to understand what you are complaining about. This is not meant to be an insult. I don't know how to make it clearer.

You agreed to time limits before the tournament started. Now, you don't like that someone is moving within those time limits.

The rules on this site are clear - move within the agreed time limits or you lose.

If you remember the curve concept in grades, the player I and some other people are criticizing is that outlier who is three standard deviations away from the mean and who is frankly annoying.

BUT, he is still playing within the appropriate time frame and nothing can be done.

If you were to enter a 21/21 tournament and had the bad luck to be stuck with two of these people (playing within the rules as you like to say) you could be in for a game that lasts 12 years.

[21 days X 35 moves per game (a very common game length) + 21 days timebank ] * 2 players = 4.14 years
If you multiply that by three rounds of tournament = 12.42 years

Nobody signs up for that kind of playing period. RHP may not even exist by then.

Everyone who signed up for a 21/21 tournament signed up for such time constraints and must expect that the tournament will last several years.

We are all thinking people. We all have the capacity of being reasonable and not blindly sticking to a rule that annoys most and pleases a tiny minority (say 2 people out of a field of 64, 81, 32, etc)

Further, my argument is not to make a rule that RHP may not be able to enforce but simply that it is fair to let these extremely slow movers know that their behavior is being noticed and that we are no pleased with it.

I believe that in the medium term RHP should research ways to address this type of annoying behavior.
Chess is for fun !

I do not understand what it is you want or expect. You do not want any enforcement to make players move more quickly but, instead, you only want them to be discouraged from moving within the time constraints.

What, if anything, would that accomplish?

As I stated before, there will never be any enforcement since the time limits are the enforcement.

Please do not think that I am picking on you. Rather, I have heard and seen all these complaints before and I realize that there is nothing that can be done. The time limits are an intregal rule of the game here and they are the ONLY way of enforcing moves within any reasonable time.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
16 Mar 08

I do not understand why do you continue to justify unreasonable behavior. If you remember the curve concept in grades, the player I and some other people are criticizing is that outlier who is three standard deviations away from the mean and who is frankly annoying.

If you were to enter a 21/21 tournament and had the bad luck to be stuck with two of the ...[text shortened]... um term RHP should research ways to address this type of annoying behavior.
Chess is for fun !
There is a simple solution and that is only join tournaments with shorter timescales!

People who join 21/21 normally expect these tournaments to last a longer period of time.

What is wrong is criticising a player who is making moves in his games on a daily basis, so far this month he has made 2,609 moves in 16 days in his 813 games.

He probably time manages his games to a good degree so that those he has 1, 3 or 5 days to move in get more priority than those he has 7, 10 or longer to move in.

It is wrong to try and force people to play faster than what has been agreed in advance.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
16 Mar 08

Further, my argument is not to make a rule that RHP may not be able to enforce but simply that it is fair to let these extremely slow movers know that the ...[text shortened]... um term RHP should research ways to address this type of annoying behavior.
Chess is for fun !
Have you ever though that those who want to take the full alloted time may think exactly the same of the players who move fast in long haul games?

Rather than joining longer timebank games and then moaning when players use the timebank, just use the open invite facility to start lots of 1/0 and 3/0 games.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
16 Mar 08

If you were to enter a 21/21 tournament and had the bad luck to be stuck with two of the ...[text shortened]... um term RHP should research ways to address this type of annoying behavior.
Chess is for fun !
Maybe we should introduce 21/21 tournaments where the REAL time controls are 3/7? Would that solve your "problem"?

I join 21 day tournaments because I want that much time to make my moves. Why do you join 21 day tournaments? So you can complain about people playing within the agreed upon rules?

D

GT

Nixa, MO USA

Moves
17 Mar 08

"Originally posted by ADAMFORALL" ---Text shortened---
3. Heng is playing within the rules and doing nothing wrong.

Do you really believe that a player who enters a tournament should treat these games any differently from his other games?
OF COURSE I DO!
What the difference between a private game and a tournament game? There is none, you have agreed to play the players within agreed time limits.
A PRIVATE GAME IS AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN 2 PLAYERS! A TOURNAMENT OR A CLAN GAME IS A VENUE IN WHICH OTHER PLAYERS, SOMETIMES MANY OTHER PLAYERS, ARE DEPENDING ON YOU!! NO MATTER HOW YOU TRY TO GET AROUND IT THAT IS A SIGNIFIGANT DIFFERENCE!! AND I REITERATE THAT ANY PERSON WHO HOLDS UP 19 OR MORE PEOPLE FOR A MONTH OF THEIR TIME IS SELFISH, PERIOD!

If I changed my slogan from "Undercover Forum Mod" to "Man from Mars" would it make a difference to how you interpret my posts?
AS I'M QUITE SURE BY NOW YOU KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT IS NO! I WILL SAY THAT SOMEONE WITH YOUR "JOKE" "REMINDING" PEOPLE THAT THEY CAN BE BANNED COULD DISCOURAGE LESS SURE OF THEMSELVES POSTERS FROM POSTING! I, HOWEVER KNOW THAT THE SAME "REASONING" THAT LED YOU TO STATE THAT AS SOON AS ONE GROUP FINISHES YOU COULD SAY EVERY ONE ELSE IS HOLDING UP THE TOURNAMENT, IS SO LUDICROUSLY WRONG, THAT THE REST OF YOUR ANALOGY, IE: I COULD BE BANNED FOR A FORUM POST, DIDN'T WORRY ME FOR A MINUTE! FOR YOUR INFORMATION IT WASN'T I THAT IDENTIFIED MR HENG! I DID MAKE A COMMENT (ACTUALLY TWO) ON MR. HENG'S COMMENT, WHICH IS CERTAINLY MY RIGHT!

If you need to know who the forum mods are look here

http://www.redhotpawn.com/comhub/volunteers.php NO! HERE AGAIN I DIDN'T BRING THIS UP EXCEPT TO CHASTISE YOU FOR TRYING TO BULLY ME OFF THIS THREAD

You will notice, however, that most do not identify themselves as Forum Mods? Is this wrong? NO, i WOULD NOT IDENTIFY MYSELF AS ONE IF I WERE!

If you want to be childish and not play in tournaments because some people take longer to play then thats up to you.

Once you have entered, then only way to get out is to resign your games - not exactly sportsmanlike behaviour and you will then have denied someone else the opportunity of being in that tournament.
FOR ONCE I AGREE WITH YOU, EXCEPT I DON'T SEE WHY THAT WOULD DENY ANYONE ANYTHING?? WOULD I NOT BE TREATED AS A "BY" WITH ALL ASSIGNED OPPONENTS GETTING AN AUTO WIN??? I DID LOOK TO SEE HOW TO RESIGN FROM THE ONLY ONE I'M IN AND I SEE NO WAY TO DO IT!! YET THERE MUST BE A WAY! WHAT IS DONE IN THE CASE OF SOMEONE DYING???

I notice you are in Tournament 3103 Have you chased up the last two players in Group 13 who are now holding up the tournament? NO I HAVEN'T! i WILL SAY THAT THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS I ORIGINALLY LOOKED UP THIS THREAD THOUGH! I ONLY POSTED AS I KNEW EXACTLY THE RESPONSE THE ORIGINAL POSTER WOULD GET AND I THINK THOSE WHO THINK AS I DO NEED TO KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE WHO AGREE WITH THEM!!