The best goalkeeper of all times

The best goalkeeper of all times

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LV

Moves
05 Feb 07

Originally posted by blade68
I'll think you'll find that's called sarcasm!!!
What do you mean they were in most people's eyes the two best goalies ever. It is said Lev Yashin saved over 150 penalties during his career

s

Moves
05 Feb 07

Originally posted by dan182
Best I have seen without doubt is Peter Schmeichel.

Although I believe that it is widely accepted that Gordan Banks was/is the best.
seen them both and BANKS shades it Peter gets entertainment value though and I reckon Stepneys save against Eusabio 67/68 euro cup final best ever save

j

CA, USA

Moves
05 Feb 07

Patrick Roy of the Colorado Aves

AB

Moves
05 Feb 07

Best I've seen

Clemence, Southall, Jennings and Schmeichel. Although I can't decide on an order. Have only seen old footage of Yashin and Banks so I can't comment on them.

S

Moves
05 Feb 07

Originally posted by Angry Boy
Best I've seen

Clemence, Southall, Jennings and Schmeichel. Although I can't decide on an order. Have only seen old footage of Yashin and Banks so I can't comment on them.
yeah.. agree with that list..but would also like to add
Phil Parks
Shilton
Jimmy Rimmer
Kevein Keelan at Norwich city was good back in the 70s
and John Burrage at Villa

...anyone remember them..or am i showing my age?😉

G

Moves
05 Feb 07

Originally posted by Helder Octavio
This time, I can write about the theme because the
GKs of Brasil never was of 1st line (sorry, Gilmar dos
Santos Neves).

Of course, there're many great GK: Sepp Mayer, Ubaldo
Fillol, Oliver Kahn, Jean-Marie Pfaff, Dino Zoff etc.

But the best was, is and always will be LEV YASHIN.
True, Lev Yashin is legendary but Gianluigi Buffon is pretty good too. He's my favorite.

José Luis Chilavert from Paraguay was an eccentric goalie shooting dangerous freekicks.

However, the very most eccentric goalkeeper of all time was René Higuita of Colombia.

S

Moves
05 Feb 07

Originally posted by GinoJ
True, Lev Yashin is legendary but Gianluigi Buffon is pretty good too. He's my favorite.

José Luis Chilavert from Paraguay was an eccentric goalie shooting dangerous freekicks.

However, the very most eccentric goalkeeper of all time was René Higuita of Colombia.
Yep rate both of them. Is it true that Chilavert is the top ever goalscoring 'keeper? I think he took penalties as well as free-kicks.

Haiguita- i will always remember his 'back-flip' save against England.

It is a shame these two great 'keepers never got the credit they deserved, from the european media or fans

C

Moves
05 Feb 07

Well, being a keeper myself, I know it's true that you have to be a little crazy to be a keeper.

Although in Higuta's case, it was a bit more than a little. Apparently he got heaps and heaps of plastic surgery and looks completely different now and has declared himself the most perfect specimen of a man alive!

And then there was Carlos Roa - awesome keeper, got testicular cancer and stopped playing, beat it and made a comeback, Man U were interested in signing him (or maybe even did) but then he became a Seventh Day Adventist and therefore couldn't work on Saturdays, ruling out most games.

Crazy crazy keepers.

As for the best, you can't say 'Mr X was the best'. All have different strengths. The most comanding and dominate display of keeping I've ever seen was Oliver Kahn at the 2002 World Cup. Except for the final.....

S

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by Crita
Well, being a keeper myself, I know it's true that you have to be a little crazy to be a keeper.

Although in Higuta's case, it was a bit more than a little. Apparently he got heaps and heaps of plastic surgery and looks completely different now and has declared himself the most perfect specimen of a man alive!

And then there was Carlos Roa - awesome keep ...[text shortened]... f keeping I've ever seen was Oliver Kahn at the 2002 World Cup. Except for the final.....
agreed...Kahn wa awasome in 2002. The germany team was very ave to poor really (remember England beat them 5-1 in the qfl!) but KAHN's performance took them to the final.

by the way I to play in goal.. manly 5-a-side now.. to old to play 11-a-said. play twice a week. How about you?

C

Moves
06 Feb 07

I play both! I'm only 21 so I can get away with it! lol. I play indoor all year, and outdoor for about 6 months.

I started about 4 years ago in my older brothers team coz they couldn't find a keeper and went from there. It just kind of came naturally and I liked not having to run as much as playing on the field (I played left mid in juniors) and getting to yell at everyone!

My career highlight (ha ha ha) came two seasons ago when I played for Phoenix Ranger in under 19's. It's two levels below the National league (the A-League). It was good to push myself for a year, but I was never going to get much further so I left after one year.

The last few years I've played for my church side. I got picked in the rep side for my association but missed out on state rep. I'm pushing for that this year.

What about yourself?

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by Esoteric
Walter Zenga without question.

"Since 1990 Zenga holds the record for most minutes without conceding a goal in the FIFA World Cup; he was not beaten for 518 minutes in total."
Italy defenses are the best in the world, there's no question.

Actually Gianluigi Buffon is the best goalkeeper in the world.

nuff said

o

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by SALADIN
yeah.. agree with that list..but would also like to add
Phil Parks
Shilton
Jimmy Rimmer
Kevein Keelan at Norwich city was good back in the 70s
and John Burrage at Villa

...anyone remember them..or am i showing my age?😉
wasnt Jimmy Rimmer Stepneys understudy at Old Trafford

G

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Kasey Keller, Tim Howard, and Shep Messing.
Which planet are you from?

C
Moonchester

Blue Moon

Moves
06 Feb 07

Bert Trautmann

Any man who gets shot down as a fighter pilot, spends years as a POW, doesn't go home after the war, and then plays 20 minutes of the FA Cup final with a broken neck....

That man is a HERO

S

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by Crita
I play both! I'm only 21 so I can get away with it! lol. I play indoor all year, and outdoor for about 6 months.

I started about 4 years ago in my older brothers team coz they couldn't find a keeper and went from there. It just kind of came naturally and I liked not having to run as much as playing on the field (I played left mid in juniors) and getting to ...[text shortened]... ation but missed out on state rep. I'm pushing for that this year.

What about yourself?
Thats mighty impressive CV there.

I played what we call 'sunday league' here in the uk but mostly i play 5-a-side/ 7-a-side football every wednesdays and fridays.

Played in a few competitions at this level over the years. we play on 'astro' pitches for football at that level.