What is this man lacking?

What is this man lacking?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
15 Aug 19
1 edit

@philokalia said
But what are we doing right now?

Debating the meaning of the Bible.

I am relying on people who draw their authority from a long history of interpretation of the Bible, and who do it as a vocation, and I think that is good.

What is wrong or dirty about that?
I am relying on people who draw their authority from a long history of interpretation of the Bible, and who do it as a vocation, and I think that is good.

Instead of relying on what Jesus explicitly stated. It's just as I pointed out.

F

Moves
15 Aug 19

@kellyjay said
Your only authority is you it seems.
I am not the one who asserts that when your opinions about the reality of the universe coincide with your opinions about what the correct religious beliefs are, that creates a "universal truth" for us all. That's you. That's you as a purported "authority" on the universe.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Aug 19

@fmf said
If you think citing "Fr. Chad Ripperger" gives any additional credence to whatever Philokalia happens to believe and spends his time trotting out here, good for you. You obviously won't agree with my perception of Appeal to Authority.

I find - for example - Rajk999's references to the Bible and to the text itself - and grappling using his own intellectual and discursive steam ...[text shortened]... r else, and does so instead of engaging in debate, I will surely call him out ~ for what it's worth.
Let's review. In P's first post, the FCR quote is given as a possible explanation to why Jesus told the rich man what he did. Then P gives other examples that he views as parallel. He is not merely saying that "FCR says this, so it must be true" (which is indeed fallacious) but using FCR's take as a jumping off point for further examination.

I'm not evaluating the merit of P's argument here - just pointing out that he has not used a fallacy, as such. It is misleading to say so, IMO.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Aug 19

@fmf said
As Ellen G. White established and pointed out to us all in 1914, the Earth was literally created in 6 days.

As an authority figure, is she "improper"?
I don't know. Who is/was she?

S. Korea

Moves
15 Aug 19

FMF realizes that what he lacks the most is a wide breadth of knowledge and experience in the field of theology. So now he attacks people who accurately cite experts in the field.

He shifted to the only possible attack on people who like to cite such resources. The idea that everyone here should be arguing just by quotations with their opinions inserted.

I think it's much better to refer to the verses and also talk about what the experts think.

Should be obvious to anybody that the positions of major theologians and branches of Christianity would be very important to understanding the Bible.

F

Moves
15 Aug 19

@bigdoggproblem said
I don't know. Who is/was she?
Exactly. And what does it matter what "Fr. Chad Ripperger" says, either?

F

Moves
15 Aug 19

@bigdoggproblem said
I'm not evaluating the merit of P's argument here - just pointing out that he has not used a fallacy, as such. It is misleading to say so, IMO.
I disagree. He could discuss it with Rajk999 one on one but instead he hides behind a name.

F

Moves
15 Aug 19

@philokalia said
FMF realizes that what he lacks the most is a wide breadth of knowledge and experience in the field of theology.
It's your prerogative to claim that you somehow represent here on this message board "a wide breadth of knowledge and experience in the field of theology", of course. But if you have a better argument than Rajk999 why don't you just make it rather than citing "experts" that you happen to agree with?

F

Moves
15 Aug 19
1 edit

@philokalia said
Should be obvious to anybody that the positions of major theologians and branches of Christianity would be very important to understanding the Bible.
Why are you so insecure about pitting your own theological ideas and understanding of the Bible against Rajk999's?

F

Moves
15 Aug 19
2 edits

@philokalia said
I think it's much better to refer to the verses and also talk about what the experts think.
Why would your personal opinion that "Fr. Chad Ripperger" is an "expert" be relevant to anyone who disagrees with you?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 19
1 edit

@rajk999 said
Another Christian that has shut his eyes, heart and mind to the teachings of Christ

.. sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, (Mark 10:21 KJV)

Charity aka good works. Its greater then faith. It is a more excellent way [Paul in 1 Cor 12], to show that God is in you than professions of faith. Jesus said that good works is the criteria by which ...[text shortened]... worship and greed for material things will stop you from seeing the truth in the doctrine of Christ.
How do you manage to pay for you internet access and on what device do you access this website? Furthermore what are you doing spending your time here at rhp?

I am of course assuming you have sold everything you have, given it to the poor and are off following Jesus. 🙂

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Aug 19

@philokalia said
FMF realizes that what he lacks the most is a wide breadth of knowledge and experience in the field of theology. So now he attacks people who accurately cite experts in the field.
You made a series of theological statement in posts in another thread this week and I asked you for clarification of what were clearly complete and utter nonsense and you have so far refused to answer. You were wittering on about the necessity to have “proper faith” for example. What is”proper faith”?

I don’t think you know anything about Christianity. I think you are a pretentious regurgitator of whatever book you happen to lay your hands on.

F

Moves
15 Aug 19

@philokalia said
So now he attacks people who accurately cite experts in the field.
Like how you "accurately cited" some "expert" you know from your religion who told you it was OK for you to "fornicate".

[Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's immoral for you to sleep with your partner, and I believe this regardless of whether your partner is a he or she.]

Or how you told me time and time again that my contention that the torturer god ideology is morally incoherent and you had little more to offer than how "the Saints" and "experts" disagree with me and you agree with them, ah yes.

It is weak. And spammy.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Aug 19

@fmf said
Exactly. And what does it matter what "Fr. Chad Ripperger" says, either?
Well, if you want to go there, then what does it matter what any of us say, really.

F

Moves
15 Aug 19

@bigdoggproblem said
Well, if you want to go there, then what does it matter what any of us say, really.
By the way, Ellen G. White was an "expert" on the age of the Earth and was a prominent and respected figure in her church.