1. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 13:211 edit
    According to Jesus Christ, there is a man believed in God and who followed the Law of Moses, and Jesus still tells the man that he is lacking something.

And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
    (Mark 10:17-22 KJV)

Clearly the man believed in God so he had faith, and he followed the Law of Moses. What the man lacked was good works and charity, because on the day of judgment that is the one thing that separates who who enters the Kingdom of God and who does not. This doctrine was repeated over and over by Christ throughout His ministry.

Any other opinions?
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 13:30
    I heard Fr. Chad Ripperger talk about this passage and note that Christ, being omnipotent because He is God (our Triune God -- something that I believe you may reject), He knew that the man's love of his own possessions was what troubled him and made his soul sick.

For similar reasons, Christ says to the Centurion that his servant is healed because of his faith, from such a great distance. He also says several times other groups of people your faith has made you well. This implies, clearly, that faith is very necessary as well, right?

And what of the Good Thief? The thief on the cross next to Christ merely asked that he be remembered by God in His Kingdom, and this act was enough for the Good Thief to be told that he will join Christ in heaven before the day is gone.

I think these are illustrations of the importance of faith, and how works is not an absolute necessity, nor does it have primacy.

Perhaps this is not the direction that you want the thread to head, but I will just reiterate again that my problem with your belief sysstem is that you think those with ONLY works will enter the Kingdom of God. It ignores the necessity of repentance and faith in the Christian worldview.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 14:04
    @philokalia said
    I heard Fr. Chad Ripperger talk about this passage and note that Christ, being omnipotent because He is God (our Triune God -- something that I believe you may reject), He knew that the man's love of his own possessions was what troubled him and made his soul sick.

For similar reasons, Christ says to the Centurion that his servant is healed because of his faith, ...[text shortened]... the Kingdom of God.[/i] It ignores the necessity of repentance and faith in the Christian worldview.
    Christ does not need to be omnipotent to read the mans heart and mind. Tell Fr. Chad I said that, and he should not add to or change what Jesus said to suit his church doctrine.

Lets get back to the story in the opening post which I notice you did not address. What did Jesus say the man lacketh? The man believed in God and he had faith and he followed the Low of Moses. What is the something else that was missing for him to get eternal life in the Kingdom of God.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 14:06
    @rajk999 said
    According to Jesus Christ, there is a man believed in God and who followed the Law of Moses, and Jesus still tells the man that he is lacking something.

[i]And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there ...[text shortened]... This doctrine was repeated over and over by Christ throughout His ministry.

Any other opinions?
    Jesus told him three things, none was go do good works. First only God is good, then sell what you have, then follow Him.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 14:211 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Jesus told him three things, none was go do good works. First only God is good, then sell what you have, then follow Him.
    Another Christian that has shut his eyes, heart and mind to the teachings of Christ

.. sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, (Mark 10:21 KJV)

Charity aka good works. Its greater then faith. It is a more excellent way [Paul in 1 Cor 12], to show that God is in you than professions of faith. Jesus said that good works is the criteria by which someone enters the Kingdom of God:

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: (Matthew 25:34-35 KJV)

Clearly your blinding selfishness, your reliance on mouth worship and greed for material things will stop you from seeing the truth in the doctrine of Christ.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 15:341 edit
    @rajk999 said
    Christ does not need to be omnipotent to read the mans heart and mind. Tell Fr. Chad I said that, and he should not add to or change what Jesus said to suit his church doctrine.

Lets get back to the story in the opening post which I notice you did not address. What did Jesus say the man lacketh? The man believed in God and he had faith and he followed the Low of Moses. What is the something else that was missing for him to get eternal life in the Kingdom of God.
    What did Jesus say the man lacketh?

Never mind what Jesus explicitly stated. It's irrelevant.

What's important is what Fr. Chad Ripperger said.

The sooner you get that through your thick skull, the better.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 15:45
    @thinkofone said
    What did Jesus say the man lacketh?

Never mind what Jesus explicitly stated. It's irrelevant.

What's important is what Fr. Chad Ripperger said.

The sooner you get that through your thick skull, the better.
    Lol .. of course.
    Im such a dummy.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 15:52
    @rajk999 said
    Lol .. of course.
    Im such a dummy.
    Finally a little humility.

There may be hope for you yet.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 16:58
    @rajk999 said
    Another Christian that has shut his eyes, heart and mind to the teachings of Christ

Charity aka good works. Its greater then faith. It is a more excellent way [Paul in 1 Cor 12], to show that God is in you than professions of faith. Jesus said that good works is the criteria by which ...[text shortened]... worship and greed for material things will stop you from seeing the truth in the doctrine of Christ.
    You are not quoting the text properly, again!
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:42
    @philokalia said

For similar reasons, Christ says to the Centurion that his servant is healed because of his faith, ...[text shortened]... the Kingdom of God.[/i] It ignores the necessity of repentance and faith in the Christian worldview.
    Just a side point if I can about the thief beside Jesus and what Jesus told him. Notice a couple points he said. One is he said you will be with me in "paradise" first.
    There really is no mention at all in the Bible that heaven is refereed to as a paradise. The word paradise always refers to a place on earth like the Garden of Eden was. The times the Bible speaks of a paradise in the future it is always speaking of the earth.
    So Jesus was not talking about this person seeing Jesus in heaven but on earth in the future after the resurrection begins. So does this mean Jesus will be here on earth to see this thief again? No because the bible says Jesus is in heaven sitting beside his Father Jehovah. Jesus will never become flesh again as the Bible explains.
    But of course Jesus from heaven can see everything as well as his influence will be on everyone including that thief.
    Also notice Jesus said "today" you will be with me in paradise. Well first Jesus was going to be dead in the grave for the next three days and then he was resurrected and was still on the earth for many more days until he finally went to heaven.
    So what was he really telling the thief?
    The comma placement is the key. Did he say, "I'll tell you, today you will be with me in paradise" or did he say "I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise".
    Something to consider.
  11. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 18:51
    @rajk999 said

[i]And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there ...[text shortened]... This doctrine was repeated over and over by Christ throughout His ministry.

Any other opinions?
    99 percent of Christians are doomed
    for the most part, from experience, they are materialistic and worship the almighty dollar

those that have much want to keep it and those who don't have much so desperately want it

now tell me if I'm wrong

see you in hell
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 19:251 edit
    @lemondrop said
    99 percent of Christians are doomed
    for the most part, from experience, they are materialistic and worship the almighty dollar

those that have much want to keep it and those who don't have much so desperately want it

now tell me if I'm wrong

see you in hell
    Matters not. 1% of Christians who are righteous,
    + the many millions who lived before
    + the righteous from other religions.
    + the righteous from those with no law [Romans 2}
    = billions.

God will judge.
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 19:31
    @rajk999 said
    Matters not. 1% of Christians who are righteous,
    + the many millions who lived before
    + the righteous from other religions.
    + the righteous from those with no law [Romans 2}
    = billions.

God will judge.
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry
    you are going to hell along with all your other money worshippers
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 19:37
    @lemondrop said
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry
    you are going to hell along with all your other money worshippers
    When you figure it out please let us know.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Aug '19 22:12
    @rajk999 said

Charity aka good works. Its greater then faith. It is a more excellent way [Paul in 1 Cor 12], to show that God is in you than professions of faith. Jesus said that good works is the criteria by which ...[text shortened]... worship and greed for material things will stop you from seeing the truth in the doctrine of Christ.
    Do you own anything that you have not sold and given to the poor?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree