What Do You Believe?

What Do You Believe?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15

Originally posted by lemon lime
Perhaps, but when you use phrases like [b]"What you really mean is..." it seems you are presuming the writer didn't say what he meant. So I was wondering how you could have known Grampy Bobby wasn't saying what he meant to say?

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
So simple a child can understand.

Children are able to quickly ...[text shortened]... culation into fact based primarily on personal beliefs, preconceptions and prejudicial thinking.[/b]
Accurate analysis well stated.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 Jul 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
So, as an adult, how are you able to judge what a child could or could not understand?
Are you sure the child understands about bird in trees better than I do? I don't think so.

The truth of the matter is that when Grampy said 'even a child can understand' he was implying that the message was simple and not as you would have us believe that children a ...[text shortened]... tand, instead of this pathetic argument over whether or not children are superior understanders.
I don't know what you could have seen that makes you think a child can't understand something as simple as forgiveness and accountability.

There are adults here who seem to think it must be either one or the other. But my own children (early in their lives) were able to understand how these two 'concepts' work together as a whole, so I think it's actually because this isn't difficult to understand that many adults have trouble understanding it... because it doesn't have the same intrigue or complexity we adults have come to respect only by virtue of intrigue and complexity.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15

I don't know what you could have seen that makes you think a child [b]can't understand something as simple as forgiveness and accountability.

There are adults here who seem to think it must be either one or the other. But my own children (early in their lives) were able to understand how these two 'concepts' work together as a whole, so I think it' ...[text shortened]... intrigue or complexity we adults have come to respect only by virtue of intrigue and complexity.[/b]
Another fact is in play: children face far less challenge unlearning truths mixed error and outright falsehoods
than some cynical adults and are teachable to the extent that their acceptance of authority is still intact.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15

Originally posted by divegeester
I don't believe you. Your use of the phrase "three word reply" to describe my PM response is a very obvious implication that I was impervious to your now public revelation that you were ill.
"I don't believe you..."

Your prerogative to believe and/or disbelieve anything in the world you choose. What else don't you believe?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
15 Jul 15
1 edit

"I don't believe you..."

Your prerogative to believe and/or disbelieve anything in the world you choose. What else don't you believe?
I believe most people here have the measure of you. Twhithead caught your profile quite well in a recent thread.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15

I believe most people here have the measure of you. Twhithead caught your profile quite well in a recent thread.
Excellent work. Perhaps now you both will finally be able to focus objectively on this thread's original post:

What Do You Believe?

"Please state your belief with a reference to an authoritative source in which you place your trust. Thanks"

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
15 Jul 15

Excellent work. Perhaps now you both will finally be able to focus objectively on this thread's original post:

[b]What Do You Believe?

"Please state your belief with a reference to an authoritative source in which you place your trust. Thanks"[/b]
I'm more interested in why you felt the need to imply I was impervious to your somewhat transitory illness?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 Jul 15

Another fact is in play: children face far less challenge unlearning truths mixed error and outright falsehoods
than some cynical adults and are teachable to the extent that their acceptance of authority is still intact.
I hadn't thought about the authority part of it, but that's right. After we started having kids I couldn't help noticing how they instinctively looked to us as... I don't the think the word 'authority' fully encapsulates how children view adults (particularly their own parents) but I suppose it's close enough.

One thing that can completely freak a kid out is if he sees that his parents are out of control and appear to be helpless. His life and security is tied to the 'mother ship', and if the mother ship is in trouble then so is he... they won't necessarily be able to put this feeling into words, but most kids seem to instinctively know this.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15
1 edit

I'm more interested in why you felt the need to imply I was impervious to your somewhat transitory illness?
Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 2)
Personal Message to "divegeester Jul 13 2015 05:15"

"Note: I've returned to the public forums and will be resuming my chess games, on hold since June 18, two weeks from today. Thread 164794"

"Footnote: I haven't a clue why but the neuropathy discomfort from the partial paralysis recovery since discharge in April, 2012, somehow diminished since June 18. Maybe because I took frequent naps to elevate my feet. I've thanked God often for this improvement. Next doctor appointment is on July 22 with a complete annual blood analysis a week before. Thanks for your interest in my medical wellbeing."

"Footnote 2: For whatever the reason, you didn't reply. If you had, I would have shared the "Footnote" details at that time."

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15
2 edits

I hadn't thought about the authority part of it, but that's right. After we started having kids I couldn't help noticing how they instinctively looked to us as... I don't the think the word 'authority' fully encapsulates how children view adults (particularly their own parents) but I suppose it's close enough.

One thing that can completely freak a kid ...[text shortened]... cessarily be able to put this feeling into words, but most kids seem to instinctively know this.
How about "authority" when it comes to asking for more allowance or a sleep over when approval is required?
Also stabilizing presence and anchor point of their lives? I fully agree with your comments.

Edit Note: Forgot to mention childrens' need for behavioral boundary makers without which they become insecure.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Jul 15

What Do You Believe?
I believe in one God and one Lord, Jesus Christ. I believe another name for God is Holy Spirit. I believe that at the new birth we receive the gift of holy spirit which is God's gift to the believer.
This one gift has nine manifestations, speaking in tongues, interpretation, prophecy, etc.
I do not believe one has to believe in the man made doctrine of a triune God. I also believe that it is not supported in scripture.
I believe Jesus was born of a virgin and 100% man, not God. He was prophesied throughout the Old Testament starting in Genesis 3:15.
He was totally human and sinless. He is the first one to obey and love God perfectly. He is the only man to have fulfilled the requirements of the law and was the perfect sacrifice to redeem mankind, which he did. He died on the cross (FYI God cannot die) and was raised from the dead by his father.(he did not raise himself)
He was fully persuaded that God would raise him after 3 days and 3 nights.
Because of his obedience, God highly exalted him to be Lord over the church, and he is my Lord and my hero.
He is actively working through his church today and he is "the express image" of the living God. He is just like his father, loving, gracious, merciful and kind.
He always did and does, the Father's will. He died and and took all our sins upon himself to save us from the coming wrath of God.
He also took all our sickness and deceases, (by his stripes we were healed) he took our poverty, (he became poor so we might be rich). All this is available to the Christian today and forever. That is why I have confessed him as Lord in my life and that is why I love him.
The following is a link that will explain "Do you have to believe in a Trinity to be saved"
http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/do-you-have-to-believe-in-the-trinity-to-be-saved-2

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
16 Jul 15

Originally posted by checkbaiter
What Do You Believe?
I believe in one God and one Lord, Jesus Christ. I believe another name for God is Holy Spirit. I believe that at the new birth we receive the gift of holy spirit which is God's gift to the believer.
This one gift has nine manifestations, speaking in tongues, interpretation, prophecy, etc.
I do not believe one has to believe in th ...[text shortened]... d"
http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/do-you-have-to-believe-in-the-trinity-to-be-saved-2
"I believe Jesus was born of a virgin and 100% man, not God."

Major error sir! The scriptures do indeed support the doctrine of the divinity of Jesus Christ.

Something, if you're of a mind to, we can hopefully discuss.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Jul 15

Originally posted by josephw
[b]"I believe Jesus was born of a virgin and 100% man, not God."

Major error sir! The scriptures do indeed support the doctrine of the divinity of Jesus Christ.

Something, if you're of a mind to, we can hopefully discuss.[/b]
Would love to, but I suspect most of what you are going to say has already been answered here....

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
16 Jul 15

Originally posted by checkbaiter
Would love to, but I suspect most of what you are going to say has already been answered here....
Well my friend, I'm going to forgo the link in favor of God's Word if we're going to resolve this issue.

Right now I'm at the end of a 17 hour day and dead tired.

Not sure a public dispute is appropriate.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Jul 15

Originally posted by josephw
Well my friend, I'm going to forgo the link in favor of God's Word if we're going to resolve this issue.

Right now I'm at the end of a 17 hour day and dead tired.

Not sure a public dispute is appropriate.
It does not have to be today, get your rest and browse though the link at your leisure. It is bible and teaching. As I said, I suspect your questions which will be directed at me will be answered there. If not, feel free to discuss either here or PM.
17 hours? Yes indeed, time for a rest, my friend...🙂