What Do You Believe?

What Do You Believe?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Jul 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Originally posted by checkbaiter
I don't think someone just "decides to believe". I think it takes time, a calculating thought process, weighing evidence and so forth. A person needs a heavy dose of the Word of God, understood, but it takes patience, love prayer and reasoning...."

checkbaiter, the concluding pa ...[text shortened]... itself occurs at a point in time as it did with one of the two criminals crucified with Christ.
..“If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself

Here is a passage that you reject:

We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. (1 John 3:14-18 KJV)

Faith in Christ + Charitable Brotherly Love for your fellowman = Eternal Life.

Read the whole thing ... Dammit !

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
15 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by lemon lime
Even though the situation wasn't exactly as it first appeared there is nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution. There was no way you could have known it wasn't simply a hot head picking on an old man, but the fact that he stabbed you means you weren't very far off in your estimation of what was happening. You trusted your instincts and were not w ...[text shortened]... ually happening....

(I'm assuming it was the young man who stabbed you and not the older one)
Chess i think has made me less of an impulsive person. I'm much better now at considering the whole board and the consequences of the moves i make. Always forget which GM said it, but when 'you find a good move, look for a better one.' - I try to follow this same philosophy in life. (But yes, we shouldn't ignore our instincts).

Will look out for the book.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15
3 edits

Originally posted by Rajk999
..“If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself

Here is a passage that you reject:

[i]We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know ...[text shortened]... haritable Brotherly Love for your fellowman = Eternal Life.[/b]

Paul and Silas are imprisoned at the time their Jailer is converted: "And they said, 'believe in the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved, you and your household [your family members if they also believe in the Lord Jesus Christ]." (Acts 16:31) An individual's decision in a moment of time to accept God's grace gift of salvation and eternal life represents the simplicity of God's perfect plan of reconciliation for mankind. So simple a child can understand. Much too simple for the intellects of some adults to accept.

1 John 3:14-18 references some of the fruits of the spirit that become evident in the daily lives of maturing believers in Christ in contrast to believers in Christ who choose to remain infants during their lives on earth. Both groups of believers will be in heaven for eternity; one with rewards and privileges which the other forfeited due to incorrect priorities during their lives on earth.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Jul 15

I believe that human beings need to share the earth with one another, ensuring that each person in the community has their basic needs met at the very least, and renouncing territorial and financial gain when it causes other people to suffer.

I believe that my opinion isn't as it important as I used to think it was. 🙂

Cape Town

Moves
15 Jul 15

So simple a child can understand.
An often misused phrase on this forum.
What you really mean is 'a child would accept without actually understanding'.
If one actually asked the child to explain, he/she would fail - just as you would if asked.
A very large part of religion consists of statements that people are happy to accept without understanding - and which people are often fooled into thinking answer a problem or question.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
An often misused phrase on this forum.
What you really mean is 'a child would accept without actually understanding'.
If one actually asked the child to explain, he/she would fail - just as you would if asked.
A very large part of religion consists of statements that people are happy to accept without understanding - and which people are often fooled into thinking answer a problem or question.
"Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19: 13-14) “But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 11:3)

The Good News of salvation revealed in the Word of God was given solely for the purpose of being understood. It was preached in simple language and the Holy Spirit has recorded it in simple terms. None of us has any basis for complaint regarding the justice of our condemnation if we choose not believe it. Believe whatever you choose, twhitehead; this however is what God means and I believe it.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jul 15
2 edits

What Do You Believe? 4) I believe in the total depravity of man. Specifically, that man is created in the image of God: with an immaterial, invisible essence; rational and moral capacities and self determination [or volitional free will]. As a result of Adam's original sin of disobedience in the Garden of Eden, the entire human race has received a totally a depraved sin nature. Also that every member of the human race is born physically alive but spiritually dead: separated from God at birth. This totally depraved state qualifies mankind for grace: all that God is free to do for us thanks to the substitutionary spiritual death of Jesus Christ. We're unable to redeem ourselves.

"But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," (Rom 3:21-23) / "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned;" (Romans 5:12)

"And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast." (Eph.2: 1-9)

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Jul 15
1 edit

Paul and Silas are imprisoned at the time their Jailer is converted: "And they said, 'believe in the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved, you and your household [your family members if they also believe in the Lord Jesus Christ]." (Acts 16:31) An individual's decision in a moment of time to accept God's grace gift of salvation and eternal life repr ...[text shortened]... nd privileges which the other forfeited due to incorrect priorities during their lives on earth.
IT IS NOT THE GOSPEL YOU BELIEVE BUT YOURSELF!

Cape Town

Moves
15 Jul 15

The Good News of salvation revealed in the Word of God was given solely for the purpose of being understood. It was preached in simple language and the Holy Spirit has recorded it in simple terms. None of us has any basis for complaint regarding the justice of our condemnation if we choose not believe it. Believe whatever you choose, twhitehead; this however is what God means and I believe it.
I see that your brief absence from RHP has not served to improve your communication skills.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Jul 15

[b]What Do You Believe? 4) I believe in the total depravity of man. Specifically, that man is created in the image of God: with an immaterial, invisible essence; rational and moral capacities and self determination [or volitional free will]. As a result of Adam's original sin of disobedience in the Garden of Eden, the entire human race has received ...[text shortened]... es, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."[/i] (Eph.2: 1-9)[/b]
Those who claim to follow Christ can also be spiritually dead. Not everyone that professes Christ with their mouth will be a changed person, as they continue on with a sinful lifestyle.:

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. (Hebrews 6:4-6 KJV)

Judas Iscariot and several others accepted Christ at first but then changed.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 Jul 15

I see that your brief absence from RHP has not served to improve your communication skills.
Has it improved his reading skills? I'm asking you instead of him because you seem to know things about people only they would know.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I believe that human beings need to share the earth with one another, ensuring that each person in the community has their basic needs met at the very least, and renouncing territorial and financial gain when it causes other people to suffer.

I believe that my opinion isn't as it important as I used to think it was. 🙂
I want my opinion to be important, so from here on out instead of thinking for myself I'll first check to see what prevailing public opinion tells me to believe. And I'll know when this starts working when I see my thumb numbers going up... because that's all I really care about.

what's wrong with being shallow?

Cape Town

Moves
15 Jul 15

Originally posted by lemon lime
Has it improved his reading skills? I'm asking you instead of him because you seem to know things about people only they would know.
No, it has not. He clearly did not understand what I posted, and almost certainly did not attempt to understand it.

Cape Town

Moves
15 Jul 15

Originally posted by Rajk999
Faith in Christ + Charitable Brotherly Love for your fellowman = Eternal Life.

I feel compelled to point out that true love does not expect reward. If you 'love your fellowman' purely in the hope of eternal life, then that is not really love.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Jul 15

I feel compelled to point out that true love does not expect reward. If you 'love your fellowman' purely in the hope of eternal life, then that is not really love.
Well maybe there is a difference between what you call true love and brotherly love or charity. Charity manifests itself in compassion for the unfortunate around you.

As for your view of expecting a reward. There is nothing wrong with wanting a reward from God, but something is wrong with wanting reward of men. Christ himself wanted a reward from God for his work.

Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
(Colossians 3:22-24 KJV)