Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
20 Sep 19
1 edit

@dj2becker said
If somethings (like the laws of physics) can be true for everyone even when speaking for yourself, why can’t the same be true about supernatural things?
This has already been talked about - i.e. "gravity" and the "temperature outside", "unprovable" things, empirical scrutiny etc. - several times on this thread. I refer you to that.

Moves
20 Sep 19
1 edit

@fmf said
The things BOTH of us are saying about supernatural things are merely our subjective opinions.
Is that an objective fact or your subjective opinion?

F

Moves
20 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
Is that a fact or your subjective opinion?
All you and I are doing here is exchanging our subjective opinions about supernatural things.

If you want to talk about gravity, and talk objectively about it, start a thread on the Science Forum.

Moves
20 Sep 19
4 edits

@fmf said
All you and I are doing here is exchanging our subjective opinions about supernatural things.

If you want to talk about gravity, and talk objectively about it, start a thread on the Science Forum.
So therefore you can have no certainty that what you are saying about the supernatural is true?

And that’s because truth in terms of the supernatural is meaningless to you. In fact it is pure absurdity and nonsense.

Moves
20 Sep 19
1 edit

@fmf said
There is nothing "self-defeating" about what I am saying.

You insisting that you are "arguing from a position" of "absolute truth" does not make any of your speculation and assumptions about the supernatural realm "objective".
Insisting that everything said about the supernatural is purely speculation and a subjective opinion, renders the above statement as subjective and pure speculation which makes any discussion about the supernatural meaningless, void and nonsensical.

At least when arguing from a position that objective truth exists and is knowable you could agree that certain things ring true for everyone. If spirituality is degraded simply to speculation and subjective opinions your actually implying that goodness isn’t in any way objectively better than evil and depravity. And that is a slippery slope.

F

Moves
20 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
So therefore you can have no certainty that what you are saying about the supernatural is true?
Neither of us can claim to "know" any "absolute truths" about supernatural things. We can both but speculate and surmise etc. We can both say we are certain, but we are still merely swapping personal perspectives and opinions. You can disagree if you want to. You are entitled to your subjective opinions about supernatural things too.

F

Moves
20 Sep 19
1 edit

@dj2becker said
Insisting that everything said about the supernatural is purely speculation and a subjective opinion, renders the above statement as subjective and pure speculation which makes any discussion about the supernatural meaningless, void and nonsensical.
All either of us is doing is exchanging subjective opinions. I don't find your pure speculation to be meaningless, void and nonsensical. And it doesn't matter if you do think my perspective is meaningless, void and nonsensical. You can believe what you want. When it comes to supernatural things that are immune to empirical scrutiny, unlike the way gravity is, all we have is our conjecture and our opinions that stem from that.

Moves
20 Sep 19

@fmf said
Neither of us can claim to "know" any "absolute truths" about supernatural things. We can both but speculate and surmise etc. We can both say we are certain, but we are still merely swapping personal perspectives and opinions. You can disagree if you want to. You are entitled to your subjective opinions about supernatural things too.
So basically it’s impossible for you to say that love for example is objectively better than hate?

F

Moves
20 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
So basically it’s impossible for you to say that love for example is objectively better than hate?
We both have our perspectives on love and hate. You can share yours if you want. It means nothing to me if you insist that your perspective is "objective". Both of us apply our moral compasses - as I have explained to you before, many times - to such things and we reach our conclusions. It's a process of subjectivity.

If we disagree, then we use our moral compasses to process and perceive the disagreement. You claiming that your perspective is based on "absolute truth" adds nothing to your personal opinion to my way of thinking.

Moves
20 Sep 19

@fmf said
We both have our perspectives on love and hate. You can share yours if you want. It means nothing to me if you insist that your perspective is "objective". Both of us apply our moral compasses - as I have explained to you before, many times - to such things and we reach our conclusions. It's a process of subjectivity.

If we disagree, then we use our moral compasses to process ...[text shortened]... erspective is based on "absolute truth" adds nothing to your personal opinion to my way of thinking.
So you agree that it’s impossible for you to say that love is objectively better than hate?

F

Moves
20 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
So you agree that it’s impossible for you to say that love is objectively better than hate?
Neither of us can.

Moves
20 Sep 19

@fmf said
Neither of us can.
You can only speak for me if you’re laying down an objective truth. Oh wait you don’t believe in those...

Moves
20 Sep 19

@fmf said
Neither of us can.
And that’s the slippery slope of your ideology.

F

Moves
20 Sep 19

Take the torturer god ideology peddled by several religionists in this community. I think it pertains to the most demented and depraved form of raw hatred that the human imagination has ever concocted, no matter how many times people babble on... "Er, yes but no, but, but no... cosmic justice... free will... ". I don't claim to be objective about this. If you disagree with me, that's fine. You can insist your viewpoint is "objective" if you want. It's neither here nor there.

F

Moves
20 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
You can only speak for me if you’re laying down an objective truth. Oh wait you don’t believe in those...
We are both just sharing our personal opinions.