1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 04:18
    @fmf said
    Take the torturer god ideology peddled by several religionists in this community. I think it pertains to the most demented and depraved form of raw hatred that the human imagination has ever concocted, no matter how many times people babble on... "Er, yes but no, but, but no... cosmic justice... free will... ". I don't claim to be objective about this. If you disagree with me, that's fine. You can insist your viewpoint is "objective" if you want. It's neither here nor there.
    But if you say that love isn’t objectively better than raw hatred your argument is moot.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 04:21
    @fmf said
    We are both just sharing our personal opinions.
    Do you believe it’s impossible for a personal opinion to be true?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 04:24
    @dj2becker said
    But if you say that love isn’t objectively better than raw hatred your argument is moot.
    You are perfectly entitled to your personal opinion about whether my "argument" is moot or not.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 04:26
    @dj2becker said
    Do you believe it’s impossible for a personal opinion to be true?
    It is my subjective opinion that all my personal viewpoints and reasons for believing the things I do - about the things we are discussing - are honest and true.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 06:34
    @fmf said
    Neither of us can.
    But in reality we both know it is.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 06:35
    @fmf said
    It is my subjective opinion that all my personal viewpoints and reasons for believing the things I do - about the things we are discussing - are honest and true.
    And by ‘true’ you mean ‘relative’.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 06:36
    @dj2becker said
    But in reality we both know it is.
    We may well share the same personal opinion on the issue.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 06:42
    @dj2becker said
    And by ‘true’ you mean ‘relative’.
    By 'true' I mean 'true'. "Relative" means 'considered in relation or in proportion to something else'. So if we disagree, then what I believe is 'true' will be "relative" to what you believe is 'true'. You may have different opinions about what is 'true'. You may even think that what I see as being 'true' as being, in your opinion, not 'true'. But that's OK. You may even believe that your opinion is absolutely true. And that's OK by me too. How certain and earnest you are doesn't make much difference to me if we disagree.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 10:212 edits
    @fmf said
    By 'true' I mean 'true'. "Relative" means 'considered in relation or in proportion to something else'. So if we disagree, then what I believe is 'true' will be "relative" to what you believe is 'true'. You may have different opinions about what is 'true'. You may even think that what I see as being 'true' as being, in your opinion, not 'true'. But that's OK. You may even believe ...[text shortened]... t's OK by me too. How certain and earnest you are doesn't make much difference to me if we disagree.
    Because truth is absolute in nature it is not possible for two contradictory beliefs to be true at the same time. Would you agree that if one person believes that God exists and another person believes God doesn’t exist, one of them is wrong? Or are they both right?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 10:27
    @dj2becker said
    Because truth is absolute in nature it is not possible for two contradictory beliefs to be true at the same time. Would you agree that if one person believes that God exists and another person believes God doesn’t exist, one of them is wrong? Or are they both right?
    The only thing true about them is they hold contradictory views, but the truth of God will be the truth regardless of any of our beliefs.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 10:32
    @dj2becker said
    You have asked me this before. My stance hasn't changed. I believe that it is possible there is a creator being but that, if there is one, it hasn't revealed itself as far as I am aware. You believe the creator being has revealed itself to you. We don't know who is right. Our speculation and resulting personal opinions contradict each but that's OK. I'm fine with that. We can agree to disagree.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 10:33
    @kellyjay said
    The only thing true about them is they hold contradictory views, but the truth of God will be the truth regardless of any of our beliefs.
    Your personal opinions about the existence and nature of your God figure are just your personal opinions.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 04:111 edit
    @fmf said
    You have asked me this before. My stance hasn't changed. I believe that it is possible there is a creator being but that, if there is one, it hasn't revealed itself as far as I am aware. You believe the creator being has revealed itself to you. We don't know who is right. Our speculation and resulting personal opinions contradict each but that's OK. I'm fine with that. We can agree to disagree.
    If one of us is wrong, truth is absolute. If we’re both right truth is relative. Logically one of us has to be wrong.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 05:35
    @dj2becker said
    If one of us is wrong, truth is absolute. If we’re both right truth is relative. Logically one of us has to be wrong.
    You are entitled to your personal opinion about whether you are right.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 06:35
    @dj2becker said
    Logically one of us has to be wrong.
    Feel free to speculate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree