To our atheist friends

To our atheist friends

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes, but you have failed to grasp, that it was not about whether homosexuality was legitimate or otherwise, but whether it was reasonable for God to ask the Israelites to desist from it and other sexual practices.
I don't think "God" did "ask" the Israelites to desist from homosexuality. Do I think it was "reasonable" for Mosaic Law to punish homosexuality with death? No I think it was "unreasonable" for the reasons I have given... the self same reasons which you have - pointedly - refused to discuss, with you choosing instead to create a caricature of what other posters have said and then proceeding to attack that caricature.

rc

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by JS357
Why do I think it is reasonable to ask me to refrain from doing something? Because a reasonable way for them to let me know that they do not want me to do it, is to ask me not to do it. Of course they could also just say "I want you to refrain from doing that." That would be reasonable too, telling me what they want.

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Are you using "ask" to mean something besides "to request"?
ok thanks, its 5:30 am, i am to tired to reply at present,tomorrow, hopefully.

rc

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think "God" did "ask" the Israelites to desist from homosexuality. Do I think it was "reasonable" for Mosaic Law to punish homosexuality with death? No I think it was "unreasonable" for the reasons I have given... the self same reasons which you have - pointedly - refused to discuss, with you choosing instead to create a caricature of what other posters have said and then proceeding to attack that caricature.
why is it not reasonable.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well I am not an atheist, robbie, but if I may I will make comment anyway. Adultery involves deceit and there is in most cases a victim. Bestiality and paedophilia are sexual assaults or abuse because there is - and can be - no informed consent and there are therefore quite clearly victims. But homosexuality? What's wrong with homosexuality? It doesn't belong on the same list as adultery and bestiality. Why do you think it does?
I believe it has more to do with the act of inserting ones penis into
a place in another man that God did not intend, rather than the
fact that people may have homosexual feelings.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

why is it not reasonable.
For the reasons I have given and which you have pointedly refuse to discuss.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I believe it has more to do with the act of inserting ones penis into
a place in another man that God did not intend, rather than the
fact that people may have homosexual feelings.
Your assertions about what 'God intends' with regard to homosexuality carry no more actual everyday moral weight, in and of themselves, than similar assertions made by people posing as spokespersons of any other religion or culture or ideology.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by FMF
Your assertions about what 'God intends' with regard to homosexuality carry no more actual everyday moral weight, in and of themselves, than similar assertions made by people posing as spokespersons of any other religion or culture or ideology.
Neither do your assertions carry any weight with God.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

Neither do your assertions carry any weight with God.
My assertions are not intended to "carry any weight with God". My assertions are about what I consider to be "reasonable" and "unreasonable" about what people like you and robbie claim to be God's "intentions" and "instructions" and their relevance to what is moral and immoral. Neither of you is able to offer a reason for forbidding homosexuality other than your belief in the supernatural as codified in your chosen religion's literature.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by FMF
My assertions are not intended to "carry any weight with God". My assertions are about what I consider to be "reasonable" and "unreasonable" about what people like you and robbie claim to be God's "intentions" and "instructions" and their relevance to what is moral and immoral. Neither of you is able to offer a reason for forbidding homosexuality other than your belief in the supernatural as codified in your chosen religion's literature.
All I will say is that you continue to make false assertions and think
that by repeating it over and over then you will be right. But I say
you will still be wrong no matter how many time you repeat the
same idea.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

All I will say is that you continue to make false assertions and think
that by repeating it over and over then you will be right. But I say
you will still be wrong no matter how many time you repeat the
same idea.
What false assertions?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by FMF
What false assertions?
Now you have amnesia. Go back and read your posts.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jan 12

However my question is this, is it unreasonable to ask persons to refrain from adultery,
homosexuality and bestiality? What do you think?
First, you answer this question: is it unreasonable to ask persons to refrain from heterosexual activities? In what circumstances? Why?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jan 12

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
First, you answer this question: is it unreasonable to ask persons to refrain from heterosexual activities? In what circumstances? Why?
I believe the circumstances are when a man puts his penis into another
man's anus. This is not a natural act intended by God.

P.S. The anus is not the place for a penis regardless of sex.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

Now you have amnesia. Go back and read your posts.
I don't think any of my assertions have been "false". So if you don't have any specific ones in mind then your accusation is moot.