To our atheist friends

To our atheist friends

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think any of my assertions have been "false". So if you don't have any specific ones in mind then your accusation is moot.
My reply to twhitehead applies to you to. You say it is unreasonable.
I say yor assertion is false even if you disagree. Good night.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
because the Bible says so. Next!
The mind of the fundamentalist captured in one small sentence.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Jan 12

What a quite remarkable thread.

Ro

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I believe the circumstances are when a man puts his penis into another
man's anus. This is not a natural act intended by God.

P.S. The anus is not the place for a penis regardless of sex.
Presumably, therefore, oral sex is also a sin.

God does seem to get awfully worked up about where people stick different parts of their anatomy. I wonder why?

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
What a quite remarkable thread.
It lies there, in a field, a few metres beyond the end of the runway, smoke rising, cables crackling, its pilot staggering around holding his head with one hand, rummaging in his bomber jacket for his Mosaic Flight Manual with the other.

rc

Moves
14 Jan 12
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF
It lies there, in a field, a few metres beyond the end of the runway, smoke rising, cables crackling, its pilot staggering around holding his head with one hand, rummaging in his bomber jacket for his Mosaic Flight Manual with the other.
actually I have not crashed at all, you have been unable to demonstrate why the
simple request, by God, as written in the Mosiac Law and practised by the Israelites
was in any shape of form, an unreasonable request. So far it has been asserted
that, it was unreasonable because,

1. it limits sexual freedom to married couples and men and women, a rather
reasonable request considering the anatomy of each.

2. It coerces people to a certain morality, as if that was an unreasonable request,
when the universe contains a plethora of laws which demand our coercion are not in
the least instance considered to be unreasonable.

3. because people think that its unreasonable, which is not really a reason at all.

4.because genetics predispose one to a particular sexuality, making the request
unreasonable, when in fact it has been demonstrated that predisposition and
determination are not one and the same thing.

5.because FMF doesn't believe that it was actually from God, despite the fact that the
mandates are well documented and exist irrespective of whether God exists or
whether FMF believes that they originate from God.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12
1 edit

simple request, by god, as written in the Mosiac Law and practised by the Israelites
was in any shape of form, an unreasonable request.
Every time I presented my case, you simply refused to discuss it, then you declared that it was "just" my opinion, in the end you just moved the goalposts. What a quite remarkable thread, indeed.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

5.because FMF doesn't believe that it was actually from God, despite the fact that the mandates are well documented and exist irrespective of whether God exists or
whether FMF believes that they originate from God.
Neither the fact that you are of the opinion that a death sentence for homosexuality is [or was] mandated by God, nor the fact that the Israelites believed their Mosaic Law to be 'God's instructions', makes the discrimination and victimization of homosexuals "reasonable", robbie, no matter how "well documented" it all is in your mind.

rc

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by FMF
Every time I presented my case, you simply refused to discuss it, then you declared that it was "just" my opinion, in the end you just moved the goalposts. What a quite remarkable thread, indeed.
on the contrary FMF, i simply was not willing to pander to your personal foibles, at
every turn you seemed insistent on attempting to throw a spanner in the works, with
the consequence that it simply clouded the question, to wit, i dont believe the
mandates come from God, irrelevant, they exist irrespective of whether you believe
they come from God or not, i dont think that it applies to atheists, irrelevant , it doesn't
need to apply to atheists for them to form an opinion and then we had the quite
ludicrous, i have never met a practising homosexual who lives under the Mosaic law,
have you? again totally irrelevant.

rc

Moves
14 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Neither the fact that you are of the opinion that a death sentence for homosexuality is [or was] mandated by God, nor the fact that the Israelites believed their Mosaic Law to be 'God's instructions', makes the discrimination and victimization of homosexuals "reasonable", robbie, no matter how "well documented" it all is in your mind.
simply being asked to refrain from homosexuality is victimisation, why is it
victimisation FMF, because you say it is.

Ro

Moves
14 Jan 12

simple request, by God, as written in the Mosiac Law and practised by the Israelites
was in any shape of form, an unreasonable request. So far it has been asserted that, it was unreasonable because,

1. it limits sexual freedom to married couples and men and women, ...[text shortened]... t irrespective of whether God exists or whether FMF believes that they originate from God.

s
I don't have any objection to someone requesting that I refrain from homosexuality. But I do object to it being enforced by laws or any other coercive means.

Why? Because no one has shown why one religious code should be preferred over and above the hundreds of others. So why should I adhere to a code that you happen to have chosen?

If all you want is the right to express your personal conviction, I will fight for your right to continue to express it, within reason.

If you want more than this, then answer the question "why should I not reasonably demand of you that you follow any other tenet of any other religion that I choose to select."

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

simply being asked to refrain from homosexuality is victimisation, why is it
victimisation FMF, because you say it is.
It was punishable by death, robbie, according to Mosaic Law. "Victimization" is one word that applies. "Barbaric" is another. Are you seriously claiming that Mosaic Law simply "asked [people] to refrain from homosexuality"?

rc

Moves
14 Jan 12

Originally posted by Rank outsider
I don't have any objection to someone requesting that I refrain from homosexuality. But I do object to it being enforced by laws or any other coercive means.

Why? Because no one has shown why one religious code should be preferred over and above the hundreds of others. So why should I adhere to a code that you happen to have chosen?

If all you ...[text shortened]... demand of you that you follow any other tenet of any other religion that I choose to select."
Firstly you adhere to laws all the time, objecting to them on the basis that they are
coercive is a nonsense, for example when you take a flight in an aeroplane, do you
jump up into the isle and demand of the stewardess, oh by the way, i dont like being
coerced to remain in my seat during departure and take off, I feel i am being
coerced, is that what happens, no, why not, because its reasonable for you to be
asked to remain seated. It only seems that in matters of sexuality, that somehow
the matter of coercion takes on some kind of new significance.

secondly i am not asking you to live under any code and i asking you to consider
whether it was reasonable for God to ask the Israelites to do so, why, because it has
been stated that its discriminatory, it victimises people and is barbaric, yet they
have not found a singled valid reason as to demonstrate why such is the case.

Its not about me.

I am not demanding that you do anything other than consider the question that I
asked.

rc

Moves
14 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
It was punishable by death, robbie, according to Mosaic Law. "Victimization" is one word that applies. "Barbaric" is another. Are you seriously claiming that Mosaic Law simply "asked [people] to refrain from homosexuality"?
yes, i think it was a reasonable request. citing that the punishment was severe is a real
no goer FMF, the punishment for bestiality and adultery was also severe yet you have
no problem stating that it was reasonable for God to ask the Israelites to desist from
them.

F

Moves
14 Jan 12

on the contrary FMF, i simply was not willing to pander to your personal foibles, at
every turn you seemed insistent on attempting to throw a spanner in the works...
My "foibles" were my moral takes on adultery, homosexuality and bestiality, I take it. And the "spanner in the works" was the fact that I disagreed with you. As for the "pander" thing, onlookers would be forgiven for thinking that you have been in 'self-pander' mode from page 1, and that, indeed is exactly why it has been "a quite remarkable thread", as Proper Knob put it, and now the cables are buzzing and the smoke is rising.