The Wisdom of Witness Lee

The Wisdom of Witness Lee

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
18 Jul 19

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Yea. Funny that's what happened.
Ouch what?
The god of atheism certainly kicked you in the shin there sir.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jul 19

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Let me know when you'd like to give me a serious answer.

If compared to some other orthodox, non-heretical teachers against which you measure the deviations of Witness Lee, WHO then are some of these teachers, by name, who are for you more orthodox ?

If none pass your test of good teachers then how is Witness Lee "off the beaten path" of correct teaching of the Christian faith ?

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
18 Jul 19

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Let me know when you'd like to give me a serious answer.

If compared to some other orthodox, non-heretical teachers against which you measure the deviations of Witness Lee, WHO then are some of these teachers, by name, who are for you more orthodox ?

If none pass your test of good teachers then how is Witness Lee "off the beaten path" of correct teaching of the Christian faith ?
I suspect 'anyone' who doesn't say Christians are in an organization of Satan would be a better teacher for Christians.

Anyone.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jul 19
1 edit

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

I suspect 'anyone' who doesn't say Christians are in an organization of Satan would be a better teacher for Christians.

Anyone.

Still no names ?

Would you resent a medical doctor who honestly diagnoses that you had a serious illness threatening you ?

Would you regard the frankness of a doctor telling you things you didn't want to hear, as an unkind physician ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jul 19

Anyone.

Before you recommended some saying of A.W. Tozer. Would he be a more orthodox Christian teacher to you ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jul 19
1 edit

Previously Ghost of a Duke posted some saying of Christian teacher A. W. Tozer.

Witness Lee also referred to a booklet Tozer wrote about "The Waning Authority of Christ in the Churches".

Here is a sample of what that book by A.W. Tozer said about the then present state of Christianity.

I think also that I should acknowledge that I am myself very much involved in the situation I here deplore. As Ezra in his mighty prayer of intercession included himself among the wrongdoers, so do I. "0 my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God: for our iniquities are increased over our head, and our trespass is grown up unto the heavens." Any hard word spoken here against others must in simple honesty return upon my own head. I too have been guilty. This is written with the hope that we all may turn unto the Lord our God and sin no more against Him.
Let me state the cause of my burden. It is this: Jesus Christ has today almost no authority at all among the groups that call themselves by His name. By these I mean not the Roman Catholics nor the liberals, nor the various quasi-Christian cults. I do mean Protestant churches generally, and I include those that protest the loudest that they are in spiritual descent from our Lord and His apostles, namely, the evangelicals.

[My bolding]

Strong words. But needful words spoken out of a caring heart of love for the Christian brothers and sisters.

https://www.awtozerclassics.com/articles/article/4938678/86408.htm

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jul 19

A. W. Tozer continues his strong word of love about the low estate of Christian churches. This is apparently someone Ghost of a Duke counted as having some significant spiritual insight which he previously cut and pasted on this Forum.

Not only does Christ have little or no authority; His influence also is becoming less and less. I would not say that He has none, only that it is small and diminishing. A fair parallel would be the influence of Abraham Lincoln over the American people. Honest Abe is still the idol of the country. The likeness of his kind, rugged face, so homely that it is beautiful, appears everywhere. It is easy to grow misty-eyed over him. Children are brought up on stories of his love, his honesty and his humility.
But after we have gotten control over our tender emotions what have we left? No more than a good example which, as it recedes into the past, becomes more and more unreal and exercises less and less real influence. Every scoundrel is ready to wrap Lincoln's long black coat around him. In the cold light of political facts in the United States the constant appeal to Lincoln by the politicians is a cynical joke.
The Lordship of Jesus is not quite forgotten among Christians, but it has been relegated to the hymnal where all responsibility toward it may be comfortably discharged in a glow of pleasant religious emotion. Or if it is taught as a theory in the classroom it is rarely applied to practical living. The idea that the Man Christ Jesus has absolute and final authority over the whole church and over all of its members in every detail of their lives is simply not now accepted as true by the rank and file of evangelical Christians.

From "The Waning Authority of Christ in the Churches" by A. W. Tozer

https://www.awtozerclassics.com/articles/article/4938678/86408.htm

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
19 Jul 19

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Anyone.

Still no names ?

Would you resent a medical doctor who honestly diagnoses that you had a serious illness threatening you ?

Would you regard the frankness of a doctor telling you things you didn't want to hear, as an unkind physician ?
I repeat, 'anyone' who doesn't say Christians are in an organization of Satan would be a better teacher for Christians.

If a doctor told me I belonged to Satan, I would probably seek a second opinion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jul 19

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Its more interesting to me that you will not indicate specifically who are the better teachers.

Its noted that you prefer to leave that ambiguous, nebulous, evaded.

Think of that the next time you recommend A.W. Tozer (or someone else) as having some worthwhile spiritual insight for Forum readers to see.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Jul 19

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Its more interesting to me that you will not indicate specifically who are the better teachers.

Its noted that you prefer to leave that ambiguous, nebulous, evaded.

Think of that the next time you recommend A.W. Tozer (or someone else) as having some worthwhile spiritual insight for Forum readers to see.
The best teacher is Jesus Christ. The next best are those who teach others what Jesus said.

Mat_5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

You and your teachings are an abomination to God. Proof of that is your inability to quote the words of Jesus Christ regarding good works and righteousness and the role these play in the entering the Kingdom of God, as shown in your failed thread 'Practical Works of Righteousness.'

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jul 19

@Rajk999

I left off from that thread because you ruined it with your presence as you ruin many discussions.

That's what trolls like you do.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Jul 19
2 edits

@sonship said
@Rajk999

I left off from that thread because you ruined it with your presence as you ruin many discussions.

That's what trolls like you do.
Of course. The teachings of Christ are contrary to yours because your doctrine is of Satan. In the referenced thread my first post was this:

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:2-9 KJV) .

These teachings of Christ regarding good works and its role in entry into the Kingdom of God must ruin your doctrine. If the doctrine of Christ ruins your doctrine then you are of Satan.

By your definition Christ and the Apostles were trolls as well so Im in good company. Their purpose was to correct false doctrines as Jesus and the Apostles did when the Pharisees promoted their own false teachings ... so is mine

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jul 19

@Rajk999

By your definition Christ and the Apostles were trolls as well so Im in good company.

Don't forget. You never, never like to talk about yourself.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Jul 19

@sonship said
@Rajk999

By your definition Christ and the Apostles were trolls as well so Im in good company.

Don't forget. You never, never like to talk about yourself.
That is a lie. I have stated many things about myself. Here it is again.
I am a Christian, baptised into Christ. I believe that God sent his Son Jesus Christ do die for the sins of the world. I believe that those who believe in the teachings of Christ and who follows them will be rewarded at the return of Christ.

What you want is other personal irrelevant information which detracts from the discussion. What I do or do not do has no bearing on the teachings of Christ.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 19
5 edits

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

If a doctor told me I belonged to Satan, I would probably seek a second opinion.

It is good to seek another opinion. But Lee didn't say protestants belonged to Satan, or Catholics belonged to Satan, or Jews belonged to Satan or the fallen recovered church belonged to Satan.

Next you might say that because A.W. Tozer said there is a "Waning Authority of Christ in the Churches" you might twist that to mean Tozer is saying that Christian brothers and sisters belong to Satan.

Lee was realistic about the inroads God's enemy has made in some religious organizations in spiritual warfare.

Maybe you never heard of a respected evangelical Christian teacher by the name of John Warwick Montgomery, a Lutheran theologian. Here are some of the books he's written.

https://www.google.com/search?q=john+warwick+montgomery+books&oq=Mjohn+warwick+Mont&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.15042j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

John Warwick Montgomery could also speak frankly in love when needed.

“One of the biggest difficulties in our contemporary society is that we try to locate the evil in somebody else and then we try to get rid of him. The police are pigs or the students are worthless, and so on and so on. The Marxists are the devils or the Republicans are the devils or you name it. We try to isolate the evil and then get rid of it. But the teaching of the Bible is that we are thoroughly entrenched in this ourselves, so we can't toss rocks at someone else; we have to see the extent to which the moral ambiguities fall directly on us. We need forgiveness; and only when we receive it do we have our lives cleaned up so that we can start seeing situations accurately.”

I think you read into the selected quotations from Witness Lee that he was propagating the attitude expressed above rather than giving diagnosis to bring healing.

I recall reading a book by him with a Shocking title Damned Through the Church.

https://www.amazon.com/Damned-Through-Church-Warwick-Montgomery/dp/B0006C2EME

Can you imagine the author of such a title being an evangelical Christian ?

"I've heard people say very often, 'It's better to go to church than not to go; it can't hurt you.' Well, my friend, it can hurt you! The church can be a place of accelerated salvation; but it can also be a place of accelerated damnation."

My point - Yes you may select particularly alarming sounding quotes from some speakers. If you were sincerely interested in a more thorough analysis of their attitude, you have to do more then just fall to confirmation bias.