The Person of Christ

The Person of Christ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
No, I do NOT "want to kill everybody".

I think it's pretty clear. "The wages of sin is death." We need to remove the yoke of sin in order to be saved. We cannot enter the presence of God with that taint of sin. Christ came without sin to take on the cost of humanity's sins and enable us to be purified and to see God.

Those who refuse this incredibl ...[text shortened]... hose people have to make the effort.

Believing in the Almighty God is the first step.
Yes. I know. I am just yanking your chain.
And you fall for it every time. 🙂

But we are all going to die anyway. No one lives forever.

The thing I don't like is that you and others like you
seem to be telling people like me that as far as you are concerned
we MUST embrace this man you call Christ or else we are all doomed.

According to you and others like you it is not enough for me
to have just been a good person and kind to others and helped
them and never done anyone any wrong or evil.

So I take that to mean that even though I am a good person,
not evil and never having done any wrong or any crime
was good to others and tried to lead a good life it won't matter.

I am still doomed unless I believe in your Christ and accept him
without question.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
Intellect is used to deduce problems by
examining the facts and arriving at a solution.

Believing in the spirit world and fairies and leprachauns
and magical powers is not using your intellect.

You'd want to get a grip and get real.

If it come to a disaster and there's a choice between
praying and practical I will be practical 100% of the ...[text shortened]...
That's if you are not burnt to ashes.

You won't be going to any paradise resort in the sky.
Johnnylong, you obviously, haven't even lifted your pinkie yet to read information you may,
actually, find interesting. Seriously doubt that 'laziness' ranks as a genetic predisposition.

F

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Seriously doubt that 'laziness' ranks as a genetic predisposition.
If, as I take cover in my foxhole, I profess the belief that laziness is passed on through the man's jism, will the accusations of "cowardice" be withdrawn?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Mar 13

You'd want to get a grip and get real.

praying and practical I will be practical 100% of t ...[text shortened]... at's if you are not burnt to ashes.

And Faith is used to discern truth unseen. To believe in God and in His Son's sacrifice on the cross.

Well, good, because most Christians do not believe in such things.

praying and practical I will be practical 100% of the time.

If you saw someone in a house fire and it was possible to get them out
are you going to save them or just stand there and pray?

Well, no kidding. "There is a time for everything under Heaven." A house fire is not a time for prayer. I think this is why the Catholic faith has invented this "making the sign of the cross" business. It is a way to quickly acknowledge God and to ask His help when time is of the essence. "Bless me Father, for I will need your help in the next few minutes." Prayer can come later, after the crisis has passed.

There are no ghosts, no spirits, no magic.

I would agree, except I have seen ghosts with my own eyes. I'm not sure exactly what they are, but I lean towards them being a reflection, a sort of physical echo. Most of them seem to be just a video snippet, an endless loop that plays over and over, because many times, ghosts are seen doing the same things each time they're seen. The more interactive ghosts I believe are human spirits who have yet to move on to the afterlife. This is more likely to happen with sudden death, I believe, the spirits may not recognize they're dead.

And magic? Magic is what Houdini did on stage.

Your permanent address when you breathe your last
will be a box buried under 6 feet of earth.
That's if you are not burnt to ashes.

This is true for your physical body. Upon death, you're done with it. Your soul, however, which is what makes you "you", goes on to its final reward. What is death to God? Clearly, nothing. Humans, however, are the ones who have imagined all sorts of mystery over it, simply because very few have come back from the other side to tell us about it, usually these are the ones who are told "it is not yet your time". And those are rarely believed by most people who can't let it bother them in their busy lives in the present. The Bible speaks of the dead as "asleep" or "sleeping", perhaps this is where we get "Rest In Peace". These souls will be awakened, or resurrected, to face Judgment.

This is all part of a belief system. Those who have Faith, believe. All humans were born with a capacity for Faith. Some do not have Faith anymore because their lives were such that events have led them to believe Faith is ridiculous. Others consciously beat it down with logic until it bothers them no more. But losing Faith is a terrible thing, it is on par with losing one's soul. The only difference is that Faith can be restored, and the person saved.

You can sit there and say "But I lost my faith years ago, and I couldn't be happier." Well, I'm not going to call you a liar, because you could really believe what you're saying, but if you look deep, I mean deep down, way past your fear of inadequacy, past your fear of failure, past your fear that God may be real, you can find the seed of Faith left within you, and it can be nurtured back to life. Your psyche will fight you the whole way back, but it can be done.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
24 Mar 13

[b]Intellect is used to deduce problems by

And Faith is used to discern truth unseen. To believe in God and in His Son's sacrifice on the cross.

Well, good, because most Christians ...[text shortened]... our psyche will fight you the whole way back, but it can be done.[/b]
Why am I a failure because of not believing in spirits
and ghosts and supernatural beings?

Logical people don't believe in such things.

I said religion is a crutch. You are using that crutch. I am not.

So who is the failure here?

I believe that in life while it is nice to have good friends
in the end the only person you can truly rely on is yourself.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Mar 13
1 edit

johnny, I have to get ready for church right now (it's Palm Sunday!), but I'll come back to this later today. I know how eager you are to discover the truth, but I'm sure the truth will still be there to be discovered when I get back. 😀

F

Moves
24 Mar 13

johnny, I have to get ready for church right now (it's Palm Sunday!), but I'll come back to this later today.
I just got back from Palm Sunday mass a while ago. Church was packed, as are all the Catholic churches across the city - not sure about the Protestant ones, probably packed too. 🙂

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
What is your point?
Jesus is the subject of the bible from Genesis to Revelation. God's plan from the beginning on how to buy back man from Satan who thought he had beaten God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 13

Yes. I know. I am just yanking your chain.
And you fall for it every time. 🙂

But we are all going to die anyway. No one lives forever.

The thing I don't like is that you and others like you
seem to be telling people like me that as far as you are concerned
we MUST embrace this man you call Christ or else we are all doomed.

A ...[text shortened]... matter.

I am still doomed unless I believe in your Christ and accept him
without question.
Are you saying you have never lied, stolen, never had lust in your heart nor an evil motive? You are always thankful, kind, loving? You have never had been drunk, never an evil thought, no anger, jealousy, or countless other sins?
My, my, you may be special indeed.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I just got back from Palm Sunday mass a while ago. Church was packed, as are all the Catholic churches across the city - not sure about the Protestant ones, probably packed too. 🙂
I love to see people come out for Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. Even if it's the only time they come to church all year, at least they pick the most important time to celebrate the Risen Son. I like to circulate to all the ones who don't come to church often and see just what brought them in. The answers are edifying, even if somewhat circuitous. Some feel guilty and seem to be waiting to be chastised. These are good weekends for fellowship, though.

Edit: Glad to see you participating! 🙂

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
24 Mar 13

I love to see people come out for Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. Even if it's the only time they come to church all year, at least they pick the most important time to celebrate the Risen Son. I like to circulate to all the ones who don't come to church often and see just what brought them in. The answers are edifying, even if somewhat circuitous. Some ...[text shortened]... These are good weekends for fellowship, though.

You can't even get it right when he was born or when he died.

December 25th was chosen as his birth but some people
believe this to be wrong.

As for his death, Easter is a movable religious feast.
Sometimes in March, sometimes in April.

If I died on March 24th 2013 that would be the date of my death forever.
It would never ever change.

Don't you see the absurdity of it all?

I never said I was perfect but I have tried all my life to be
a good person. I am kind and humble and generous.
I always try to help others when I can and I have never
been in any trouble with the law never even as a kid.

F

Moves
24 Mar 13

I love to see people come out for Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. Even if it's the only time they come to church all year, at least they pick the most important time to celebrate the Risen Son. I like to circulate to all the ones who don't come to church often and see just what brought them in. The answers are edifying, even if somewhat circuitous. Some ...[text shortened]... These are good weekends for fellowship, though.

You're being a wee bit too presumptuous, Suzianne. I go every week, not just twice a year, to help my spouse with the kids, who are 9 and 13 and prone to restlessness.

F

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
Are you saying you have never lied, stolen, never had lust in your heart nor an evil motive? You are always thankful, kind, loving? You have never had been drunk, never an evil thought, no anger, jealousy, or countless other sins?
I am sure both you - checkbaiter - and johnnylongwoody have done many of these things. Along with every poster here. What is your point?

Cape Town

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
You have never had been drunk, ....., or countless other sins?
Getting drunk is a sin? So when Jesus turned water into wine, did he make sure that nobody got drunk from it?
Exactly what level of intoxication is sinful?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 13

Originally posted by FMF
I am sure both you - checkbaiter - and johnnylongwoody have done many of these things. Along with every poster here. What is your point?
This was directed at johnnylongwoody, he claims he is a good person. The bible says there no one who is good, all fall short. We all need to receive Jesus Christ as atonement for our sins.