The Human Spirit

The Human Spirit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@secondson said
Check.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Are you catching on now to what I'm saying? Whether or not you agree with the inference of the verse above is irrelevant.

The point is that without the "new birth" your nat ...[text shortened]... is until you give up your pride.

You may hate the sound of it, but that's what the Bible teaches.
The topic is the human spirit. What about the human spirit of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, and adherents of Confucianism, Hinduism, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism etc.?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 20
3 edits

@FMF

The topic is the human spirit. What about the human spirit of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, and adherents of Confucianism, Hinduism, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism etc.?

Everybody has a human spirit.

"There is a spirit in MAN ..." Job 32:8.

No, it is not, ie. "There is a spirit in only the Judeo / Christian people".

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@sonship said
@FMF

Everybody has a human spirit.

"There is a spirit in MAN ..." Job 32:8.

No, it is not, ie. "There is a spirit in only the Judeo / Christian people".
Do you endorse or subscribe to any definition of "the human spirit" that does not make reference to "Jesus" and that might, therefore, be applicable to the majority of the human beings [who, lest we forget, do not believe in or follow him]?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
06 Jan 20

@fmf said
You're being evasive.

Everyone has a spirit. Body, soul and spirit is what the Bible says man is comprised of.

According to the Bible the spirit is that part of man that joins in union with God. But since the fall of man, because of sin, man's spirit is dead to that union.

According to the Bible, and the words of Jesus Christ, one "must be born again" in order to enjoy that union again.

If one is not born again, no matter who or what they are, or what race or religion, they are spiritually dead to God.

Without faith and trust in the death(as the atonement for sin), burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the subsequent experience of regeneration, everyone will die physically in their sin and suffer eternal separation from the life that is in Jesus Christ.

That is the exclusive claim of Christianity as taught by the Word of God.

Accept it or reject it. The choice is yours.

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@secondson said
You're being evasive.
I don't think it's me who is being evasive. I know all that Christian stuff you're typing out. That's fine. But do you have a definition of the human spirit that applies to non-Chrisrians [Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, and adherents of Confucianism, Hinduism, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism etc.] that applies regardless of what Christians believe about themselves and their God?

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@secondson said
According to the Bible the spirit is that part of man that joins in union with God. But since the fall of man, because of sin, man's spirit is dead to that union.
Well, I am agnostic atheist. Are you saying that my human spirit is that part of me that joins in union with your Christian God? Is this your definition of the human spirit?

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@secondson said
According to the Bible, and the words of Jesus Christ, one "must be born again" in order to enjoy that union again.
Can you be clear. Are you asserting that only "born again" Christians have the human spirit?

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@secondson said
Without faith and trust in the death(as the atonement for sin), burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the subsequent experience of regeneration, everyone will die physically in their sin and suffer eternal separation from the life that is in Jesus Christ.
What does this have to do with the human spirit?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 20
1 edit

@FMF

Do you endorse or subscribe to any definition of "the human spirit" that does not make reference to "Jesus" and that might, therefore, be applicable to the majority of the human beings [who, lest we forget, do not believe in or follow him]?

Others can use the word "spirit". They are hardly going to NOT speak of the spirit because God's revelation in the Bible has the best explanation.

It is not a matter of my endorsement or subscribing. I understand that you may be annoyed that truth can be exclusive. I don't think it would be less exclusive if the Zoroastrian or Buddhist or Hindu or Moslem spoke of the human spirit.

Underlying your concern is that a Christian cannot be a good world citizen.
Ie. There is a uniqueness claimed by the Christian Gospel which makes the believers in it exclusive and not good citizens of such a large diverse world.

I am willing to bear that criticism. I include God in my reasoning. And I think God takes into account the awareness that various peoples in the world had.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 20

I think most people consider soul and spirit to be synonymous and interchangeable words.

And some people think that one cannot take up a belief until they have become absolutely familiar with every possible alternative. I don't think I have to become familiar with every conceivable alternative. And I don't think taking up a position at some point is necessarily impossible to do without being intolerant of others.

I think basically your criticisms are variations on a theme - "You cannot be a Christian who definitely believes something with conviction and be a good tolerant world citizen."

That doesn't disqualify one from having truth. We may hold to truth in love.

"But holding to truth in love, we may grow up into Him in all things, who is the Head, Christ." (Ephesians 4:15)

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@sonship said
I think most people consider soul and spirit to be synonymous and interchangeable words.

And some people think that one cannot take up a belief until they have become absolutely familiar with every possible alternative. I don't think I have to become familiar with every conceivable alternative. And I don't think taking up a position at some point is necessa ...[text shortened]... ruth in love, we may grow up into Him in all things, who is the Head, Christ." (Ephesians 4:15) [/b]
Do you believe that humans who are not "born again" do not have the human spirit?

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@sonship said
I think basically your criticisms are variations on a theme - [i] "You cannot be a Christian who definitely believes something with conviction and be a good tolerant world citizen."
It would appear that your definition of the human spirit is only of communicative use when talking to members of your own religion. For other human beings, you seem only able to talk about the human spirit by making assertions about the doctrines of your religion.

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@sonship said
Underlying your concern is that a Christian cannot be a good world citizen.
Many of the best "world citizens" I've ever met have been Christians.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 20
2 edits

@FMF

It would appear that your definition of the human spirit is only of communicative use when talking to members of your own religion. For other human beings, you seem only able to talk about the human spirit by making assertions about the doctrines of your religion.

If I were an atheist making a case for the human spirit, I don't think the impression of exclusivity would be different.

"Give up your belief" may be your solution which makes you feel more comfortable for a moment.
But when you an agnostic/atheist launch out on discussion of the soul and spirit of man I don't think your philosophy will be somehow less exclusive.

F

Moves
06 Jan 20

@sonship said
It is not a matter of my endorsement or subscribing.
So you don't have a definition of the humanspirit of the kind / scope/ application that I asked for that's [1] your own, nor [2] one you endorse, nor [3] one you subscribe to, right?