1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 13:21
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I can do better. What about 2 John 1:10-11:

'If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.'
    That's not talking about unbelievers in the general sense of day to day common contact.

The context is talking about "him" that "does not bring this teaching".

The context is referring to anyone that "comes to you" bringing a teaching contrary to what John had said in the previous three verses.

I hope you see the meaning.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 13:24
    @secondson said
    But I do. And what's wrong with that?
    I said I don't post with the intent of persuading anyone to abandon their beliefs. You should post as you see fit. I didn't talk about anything being "wrong".
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 13:41
    @fmf said
    I said I don't post with the intent of persuading anyone to abandon their beliefs. You should post as you see fit. I didn't talk about anything being "wrong".
    Fine. But you're over exaggerating.

You said, "I am most certainly not...", the inference being vehement, as though participation with the intent to persuade is somehow unacceptable.

And that I "should post as I see fit" goes without saying.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 13:44
    @secondson said
    Fine. But you're over exaggerating.
    No, I am not.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 13:471 edit
    @secondson said
    You said, "I am most certainly not...", the inference being vehement, as though participation with the intent to persuade is somehow unacceptable.
    "Vehement"? You are being paranoid. How on Earth could trying to persuade someone to adopt one's religious beliefs on Spirituality Forum be "unacceptable"?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 14:26
    @fmf said
    "Vehement"? You are being paranoid. How on Earth could trying to persuade someone to adopt one's religious beliefs on Spirituality Forum be "unacceptable"?
    I'm not being paranoid. You're over exaggerating.

You said, "I am most certainly not...". That is a forceful way of asserting your non-intent to persuade. It carries with it a sense of vehemence of driving home a point.

So what? Say it any way you want.

But I took it, because of its forceful delivery ~ "most certainly" ~ that you disapprove of the use of persuasiveness as a means of changing people's beliefs.

Well, if I'm wrong, then so be it. It ain't no big deal to me. I've been wrong before.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 14:30
    @secondson said
    I'm not being paranoid. You're over exaggerating.

You said, "I am most certainly not...". That is a forceful way of asserting your non-intent to persuade. It carries with it a sense of vehemence of driving home a point.

But I took it, because of its forceful delivery ~ "most certainly" ~ that you disapprove of the use of persuasiv ...[text shortened]... s beliefs.

Well, if I'm wrong, then so be it. It ain't no big deal to me. I've been wrong before.
    How would attempting to persuade someone else to adopt their beliefs on a forum like this be "unacceptable"?

And could someone possibly be "vehement" in their feeling that it was "unacceptable"?

It's ludicrous. You are barking up the wrong tree.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 14:33
    @secondson said

But I took it, because of its forceful delivery ~ "most certainly" ~ that you disapprove of the use of persuasiveness as a means of changing people's beliefs.

"Forceful"? "Vehemence"? What nonsense.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 14:40
    @FMF

Apparently you're just one of those kind of people that are never wrong.

Come to think of it I don't recall you ever being wrong about anything.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 14:49
    @secondson said
    @FMF

Apparently you're just one of those kind of people that are never wrong.

Come to think of it I don't recall you ever being wrong about anything.
    You are barking up the wrong tree and now seem to be shifting to personal remarks instead of talking about your misunderstanding.

Ghost of a Duke: Is it okay for an atheist to persuade a Christian, with sound reasoning, to abandon their beliefs?

FMF: I am most certainly not someone who participates in this forum with the intent to persuade anyone to abandon their beliefs.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 16:31
    @fmf said
    You are barking up the wrong tree and now seem to be shifting to personal remarks instead of talking about your misunderstanding.

Ghost of a Duke: Is it okay for an atheist to persuade a Christian, with sound reasoning, to abandon their beliefs?

FMF: I am most certainly not someone who participates in this forum with the intent to persuade anyone to abandon their beliefs.
    Your reply to Ghost's question isn't an answer. The appropriate answer, if you had understood the question correctly, would be either yes or no.

But your answer was shrill and defensive, denying, vehemently, participation in persuading anyone to abandon their beliefs.

I haven't misunderstood anything, but you have.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 18:20
    @secondson said
    But your answer was shrill and defensive, denying, vehemently, participation in persuading anyone to abandon their beliefs.
    No. You've wrong. Not "shrill". Not "vehement". Not "defensive". Just normal.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 18:22
    @secondson said
    Not only are you wrong but you are trying way too hard. And, as you say, ou've been wrong before.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree