1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:302 edits
    @FMF
    I want to hear from them as well - the other guides.

You mentioned weakness.
    You didn't explain WHY there should be this weakness to begin with.

Why didn't nature endow humans with the strength to be in perfect sync with their conscience ?

Tell me:
    On what basis did the nations have any right to conduct the Nuremberg trials against the former Nazis?

What gave other communities the authority to pass judgment on the Nazis that their community committed crimes against humanity?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:341 edit
    @fmf said
    Hi, I am FMF. Why don't you tackle what I have said in my reply to your OP?
    I thought you were about to introduce me to somebody ELSE.

You need to talk to a zoologist or an animal psychologist about these things.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:38
    @sonship said
    Why didn't nature endow humans with the strength to be in perfect sync with their conscience?
    I have no idea. Was it supposed to have done this? What does this hypothetical have to do with the reality of human nature?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:38
    @sonship said
    Talk to an animal psychologist about the way a dog's mind works.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:40
    @sonship said
    On what basis did the nations have any right to conduct the Nuremberg trials against the former Nazis?
    The basis was international law which in turn was based on what was arguably the moral consensus of the people of the nations that beat the Nazis in WW2.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:41
    @fmf said
    Talk to an animal psychologist about the way a dog's mind works.
    Why not just talk to the dog? And are we talking about a specific dog or a representative of all dogs?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:42
    @sonship said
    What gave other communities the authority to pass judgment on the Nazis that their community committed crimes against humanity?
    They had beaten the Nazis, occupied Germany, and had taken control of the judicial system.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:42
    @fmf said
    Mostly, because they see some advantage for themselves in acting in a way that is perceived by those around them as morally unsound ~ and perhaps even they themselves think so, and yet they seek that advantage anyway.
    Have you ever considered that your mode of behavior might be morally unsound?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:43
    @sonship said
    You mentioned weakness.
    You didn't explain WHY there should be this weakness to begin with.
    I did. Why don't you actually read my posts?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:45
    @kevin-eleven said
    Have you ever considered that your mode of behavior might be morally unsound?
    Of course. If you'd read any of the many, many long conversations on this forum about the origin and application of moral compasses, you would not ask such a gauche question.
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:45
    @fmf said
    I have no idea. Was it supposed to have done this? What does this hypothetical have to do with the reality of human nature?
    Did Susan Howatch ever challenge you and ultimately throw you into the river Cam?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:46
    @sonship said
    I want to hear from them as well - the other guides.
    We all live in various time zones.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:531 edit
    @sonship said
    Why must it be that properly informing conscience has no power often?
    Despite having a "properly informing" conscience, a person might - rarely, sometimes, often - see some advantage for themselves in acting in a morally unsound way. For this reason, the guidance that the moral compass provides might sometimes be ignored. If someone does this seemingly it all the time, it might be a good definition of 'sociopathic behaviour'.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:571 edit
    @sonship said

You need to talk to a zoologist or an animal psychologist about these things.
    No, I think YOU should go and find an animal psychologist to talk to ~ I do not have to introduce you to one ~ if you want to get answers about this:

sonship: I knew of dog that stole a guy's lunch and eat it up on the job. That dog wasn't bothered in the least by its conscience. It may have looked scared in the face of an angry worker whose lunch it ate. But no moral compass told the dog it was wrong to steal the man's lunch.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 03:10
    @sonship said
    Ghost, FMF, and avalanchethecat are three atheists on the Forum.I invite them here to explain why all men and women too often CANNOT carry out the good that they know to do or CANNOT stop the evil that they know they should not do.
    People have free will about how they behave. And people have free will about what they want to achieve for themselves or for those they love.

Nature and nurture, the two bases of each person's moral compass, are blended in a unique combination for each and every individual.

This individuality will explain the variation and inconsistency in terms of "why all men and women too often cannot carry out the good that they know to they should do".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree