1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:01
    @sonship said

Broadly speaking, it is human nature; and the moral undulations and contradictions in everyday life are called the human condition.

It doesn't seem to bother all the other living things on earth as far as I can tell.

I knew of dog that stole a guy's lunch and eat it up on the job.
    That dog wasn't bothered in the least by its conscience.
    I know that human beings have a moral compass and a conscience but I am not aware that dogs do.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:04
    @sonship said
    Why does the moral compass of human beings so often raise the alarm about our moral choices and actions?
    Because that is what a moral compass is for: to help us navigate our way through the moral landscape of communal living and guide us in our choices and actions while also being able to evaluate and react to the choices and actions of those we interact with.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:052 edits
    @fmf said
    You posed the question to me. Specifically. And you have ignored my answer. Why?
    The timing of these posts may not reflect the sequence of my noticing an answer or the order in which I address something.

Total chaos is to be avoided.
    Total orderly sequencing on this medium as to timing may not be.

You're not ignored. You're examined.
    Why are moral compass and moral behavior not in harmony?
    What happened?

Why must it be that properly informing conscience has no power often?

Are you saying no immoral acts exists but only morally misguided acts from the conscience ill informing?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:06
    @sonship said
    What has happened that moral compass and moral behavior are out of sync in people?
    Mostly, because they see some advantage for themselves in acting in a way that is perceived by those around them as morally unsound ~ and perhaps even they themselves think so, and yet they seek that advantage anyway.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:07
    @sonship said
    Are you saying no immoral acts exists but only morally misguided acts from the conscience ill informing?
    No. Of course not. How silly of you to suggest this.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:08
    @sonship said
    Why are moral compass and moral behavior not in harmony?
    You don't seem to be reading what I am posting.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:121 edit
    @fmf said
    No. Of course not. How silly of you to suggest this.
    Then why did you make the "silly" observation?

Because their moral compass misguides them or is not strong enough to keep them true to what that compass determines is morally sound.

One of YOUR possibilities was that the moral compass (conscience) MISGUIDES THEM.

Thus my legitimate question given that possibility -
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:12
    @sonship said
    I knew of dog that stole a guy's lunch and eat it up on the job.That dog wasn't bothered in the least by its conscience. It may have looked scared in the face of an angry worker whose lunch it ate.But no moral compass told the dog it was wrong to steal the man's lunch.
    You need to talk to a zoologist or an animal psychologist about these things. He or she will probably give your facetiousness short shrift.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:15
    @sonship said
    One of YOUR possibilities was that the moral compass (conscience) MISGUIDES THEM.
    Yes, one of the possibilities is that one's moral compass provides erroneous guidance [or is basing its decision on incomplete or incorrect information] about the damage one is doing to others with one's choice and action.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:16
    @sonship said
    Thus my legitimate question given that possibility -
    No. Of course not. Don't be silly. That's not what I am saying at all.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:181 edit
    @fmf said
    You need to talk to a zoologist or an animal psychologist about these things. He or she will probably give your facetiousness short shrift.
    Yes I know - Like "Go talk to somebody else."

I thought you had the guidance here.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:19
    @sonship said

I have no credible reason to believe there is any supernatural aspect to this, and I do not believe there is a supernatural being called "Satan".

You told me what you don't believe.
    Well, not believing in a supernatural being called "Satan" is absolutely crucial to answering your OP head-on. Wave it away dismissively at your own discursive peril. If all you have to offer is SATAN DOES IT, then why are you directing your question about morality to people who do not believe "Satan" exists?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:201 edit
    Ghost the atheist - Do you approve of FMF's explanation?

Avalanchethecat - How is FMF doing ?

Is there consensus that the obvious atheist answer is given here that you three co-endorse?

I want to here the what the atheist philosophy GUIDANCE is on the problem of moral behavior / conscience disharmony.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:21
    @sonship said
    Yes I know - Like "Go talk to somebody else."

I thought you had the guidance here.
    Go and talk to someone else about whether a "moral compass told the dog it was wrong to steal the man's lunch" or not. Yes. Talk to someone else about dogs.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 02:22
    @sonship said
    Ghost the atheist - DO you approve of FMF's explanation?

Avalanchethecat - How is FMF doing ?
    Hi, I am FMF. Why don't you tackle what I have said in my reply to your OP?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree