Taking the good

Taking the good

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
Do you still believe consensus is still the way to find good and evil without God?

The way I analyse it, the symbiotic relationship between our individual consciences and communal consensuses is the ONLY way we can discern between good and evil BECAUSE there is no consensus about a divine lawgiver.
The question was with competing views, and consensus on every side, how do you
define good and evil, you are just saying restricting all consensus to only the one
you happen to agree with is all you can do, am I understanding you, you ignore
all other views?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
You want to deny God
so without God how does one know the difference, especially since there could
be competing views with consensus on every side.
If your belief in your God helps you to evaluate "competing views with consensus on every side", then that is fine. That is you employing your moral compass, in the way you're supposed to. I also use my moral compass to perceive and evaluate "competing claims" too.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
define good and evil, you are just saying restricting all consensus to only the one
all other views?
What makes you think I "ignore all other views"? Is that what you do?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
Without God, good and evil are found by what means?
Why has your belief in your God figure made you unable to express a moral view on what DeSantis did to those human beings two weeks ago?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
all other views?
The question was with competing views, and consensus on every side, how do you define good and evil?

Using my conscience. Isn't that how you do it?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
The question was with competing views, and consensus on every side, how do you define good and evil?

So we are back to what you like, conscience isn't a part of it anymore?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Our consciences do not consist of "what we like" unless we are sociopaths. Our consciences are produced by a synthesis of our characters and our experiences. They govern us. Our consciences [along with moral consensus around us, and sanctions attendant thereto] prevent us from acting in certain ways.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Conscience isn't a part of it anymore?

Huh? How on Earth did you get this from what I said?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said

BUMP.

KellyJay, do you not use your conscience to analyse and decide about the morality of your and others' actions? Is it not your conscience that decides what is right and wrong?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
Without God, good and evil are found by what means?
If you would be unable to condemn murder, rape and theft as morally unsound - or definite them as evil - without your belief in a God, as I am able to, then so be it. If you feel you are able to condemn "calling someone a fool" and not believing in your God as morally unsound and evil because of your belief in a God, then so be it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
BUMP.

KellyJay, do you not use your conscience to analyse and decide about the morality of your and others' actions? Is it not your conscience that decides what is right and wrong?
I'm not the one attempting to say good and evil are something we can know without
God, I'm trying to figure out your views, they are not clearly defined.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
I'm not the one attempting to say good and evil are something we can know without
God, I'm trying to figure out your views, they are not clearly defined.
your views, they are not clearly defined

You are mistaken.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
I'm trying to figure out your views, they are not clearly defined.
I'm trying to figure out your views

I don't see why you are having difficulty. Perhaps being determined to disagree with me is undermining your ability to comprehend - or sometimes even simply acknowledge - what I have said in order to explain my views.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
God.
I don't think it's controversial to say that "good and evil are something we can know without God".

If I were to assert that you personally are not able to discern good and evil without your belief in your God figure, then that might be more tricky.

However, if you were to lose your religious faith tomorrow, I believe your conscience/moral compass would continue to work just fine with the assistance of your former beliefs.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
If you would be unable to condemn murder, rape and theft as morally unsound - or definite them as evil - without your belief in a God, as I am able to, then so be it.
KellyJay, I believe you WOULD still be able to condemn murder, rape and theft as morally unsound/evil even WITHOUT your belief in your God figure.